Author Topic: Getting Green  (Read 925 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Getting Green
« on: February 25, 2008, 09:43:55 PM »
I am thinking of changing my business to focus more on green products and energy saving solutions  .  There seems to be demand out there but still unsure.  I have a supplier all lined up who is willing to bring in whatever I can sell just what do you guys thing is it good or am I dreaming
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
Re: Getting Green
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:46:11 PM »
I think it's a very good idea.  People are getting more and more concerned with the environment, and will be looking for something like that.  Plus, I bet you can mark that junk up a bunch more if it's "green".   :eyebrows:
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 12:37:17 AM »
I think that green is good, but do you want to move away from your current plan, since it seems to be successful now?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:07:35 AM »
I think that green is good, but do you want to move away from your current plan, since it seems to be successful now?

Insulation homes with fiberglass is very stressful n the body and I am getting older looking for something less stressful.  Lately have even considered getting out of construction in general but this is something I am very interested in and few people around here actually specialize in it
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 04:02:13 AM »
Go for it, there are quite a fair few suppliers over here now, I suspect it will be the same in the US soon enough. You may as well get a headstart. Just make sure you understand what you are buying...

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:09:47 AM »
definitely go for it.  if people don't, the planet is fucked, quite basically.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 04:12:34 AM »
Lots of the stuff they are selling over here is complete twaddle, you have to watch yourself with what you buy. Hence my warning.

(though by 2030, we could turn out all the lights, and we still would not have solved global warming)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:16:49 AM »
thanks.  i've been "green" for over 30 years, so i suspect i might know what i'm talking about by now.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 04:37:16 AM »

I think we're well past the tipping point for fuckedness already; processes have been set in motion that we have no ability to stop, and even if we ceased all greenhouse gas production today, the planet would continue to warm for centuries.  It might even start warming faster in the short to medium term, since about 10% of the sunlight entering the atmosphere is currently absorbed or reflected by particulate pollution in a constant emulation of a mild volcanic winter.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 04:56:22 AM »
^always used as an excuse to abdicate responsibility and not bother.  i don't subscribe to that attitude.

but, quite frankly, i'm tired of fighting to get people to take responsbility for their actions and do something about anything.  i haven't got any kids, so fuck it - bollocks up the planet all you fucking well want.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 05:06:14 AM »

Insulation homes with fiberglass is very stressful n the body and I am getting older looking for something less stressful.  Lately have even considered getting out of construction in general but this is something I am very interested in and few people around here actually specialize in it

Some ideas:

Solar hot water
Seasonal thermal storage
Heat & Glare Window Film
Solar light tunnels
Ground source heat pumps
Earth cooling tubes
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 05:29:40 AM »
^always used as an excuse to abdicate responsibility and not bother.  i don't subscribe to that attitude.

but, quite frankly, i'm tired of fighting to get people to take responsbility for their actions and do something about anything.  i haven't got any kids, so fuck it - bollocks up the planet all you fucking well want.

I don't like the way things are heading any more than you do; I simply don't think that catastrophic warming can be averted at this point, and think that we'd be better served by focusing on ways to deal with a warmer world and higher fossil fuel prices than on ways to prevent warming, since we've missed the boat on the latter already and fuck all would be done about it even if we hadn't.  Fortunately, a lot of ways for dealing with a warmer world and increased fossil fuel prices are also ways for reducing warming, for all the effect it'll have now, but part of preparing for what's ahead also involves obtaining seeds and genetic samples of all the species that are going to go extinct during this century and doing what can be done to save those that can be saved, and ensuring that humans aren't living in areas that will be flooded or subject to fires and that there won't be famines due to agricultural disruption.  Being realistic doesn't mean abdicating responsibility, and I'm pleased to see that the Svalbard Global Seed Vault is ready for business.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 05:36:34 AM »
thanks.  i've been "green" for over 30 years, so i suspect i might know what i'm talking about by now.
No you think you have been green. You would be surprised by some of the practises in the "green" industry.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 05:43:50 AM »
you know fuck all.  shut your stupid mouth.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 05:51:23 AM »
you know fuck all.  shut your stupid mouth.
Really? Surprisingly I know people who actually work in the industry, they have dropped enough hints of the practices. Just because I am not a greenpeace member who wants everyone to go back to living in caves...