Author Topic: Getting Green  (Read 922 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Getting Green
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 05:53:02 AM »
oh, at 19 you know everyone, hadron.

you've already proved over and over again that you're a liar and an idiot who assumes much and knows little.

as i said, shut your stupid mouth, lest you make even more of a fuckwit of yourself.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 06:15:46 AM »
I think you should, Parts.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 06:29:03 AM »
Thanks for all the input.  My new supplier is my old salesman from another building supply company and is just starting out and is also very eager and passionate about it. I really hope all works out well as he is one of my very few friends in real life and has put a lot on the line far more than me.  Around here builders don't want to change but the homeowners and cities are forcing on them.  Some of my oddball green materials I have used in the past I have had to go all the way to NYC for them which is about an hour away
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 07:19:45 AM »
oh, at 19 you know everyone, hadron.
I know quite a lot of people. Probably because unlike half the members here, I dont choose to hide in my wardrobe all day long...
you've already proved over and over again that you're a liar and an idiot who assumes much and knows little.
Everybody lies, its a fact of life. Get used to it. As for assumptions, you have made many incorrect ones in this very post.

Now, stop being such a bloody ecomentalist.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 08:52:18 AM »
As long as you can profit from it, go for it.    I would be interested in how much you could get away with charging for green stuff in your area (CT), I would think you could do quite well in the NE USA.

Humanity and the world itself is fucked, global warming is just one factor.
:P   Internets are super serious.

richard

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 12:40:11 PM »
i think the planet is already fucked. no matter how many poeple go green nothing can save it now :laugh:

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 12:52:11 PM »
you know fuck all.  shut your stupid mouth.
Really? Surprisingly I know people who actually work in the industry, they have dropped enough hints of the practices. Just because I am not a greenpeace member who wants everyone to go back to living in caves...
Why do you always say "Surprisingly".
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 03:45:32 PM »
Really? Surprisingly I know people who actually work in the industry, they have dropped enough hints of the practices. Just because I am not a greenpeace member who wants everyone to go back to living in caves...

Because every time he claims to know somebody or something, he knows it is a surprise to both himself and others.

/Captain Obvious
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2008, 04:21:51 PM »
Thanks for all the input.  My new supplier is my old salesman from another building supply company and is just starting out and is also very eager and passionate about it. I really hope all works out well as he is one of my very few friends in real life and has put a lot on the line far more than me.  Around here builders don't want to change but the homeowners and cities are forcing on them.  Some of my oddball green materials I have used in the past I have had to go all the way to NYC for them which is about an hour away

I think it's a great idea and while I believe that there is a reasonable possibility that what Peter has stated could come to pass, I also feel that there is money to be made legitimately in the industry.

You mentioned about changing the focus of your business, but instead of making a quick and one-way jump into something, you could also begin to offer additional options for each job you bid and switch over in a progressive motion. Make the green option available and many people will take it, each for their own reasons.

That way you would have more time to research and educate yourself about which measures and specific products are worth the bother and which ones are a waste of money and effort. Moving into that direction slowly might make more business sense. As you further develop your business in that direction you could even go green only later if you find it profitable enough.

Nothing is to stop you from personally "going green"  in all your work and advertising that also. It would be part of the reason that you have made these options available to your clients.

The reason I say educate yourself well (if you haven't already, that is) is that many products offered as "green" make almost no impact or they only impact a certain cross section of the array of problems we face.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2008, 04:33:11 PM »
A lot of what I do is green already. I am going to take it slow and offer more options as you said I still have to make a living :laugh: There are few people who do this sort of work in my area and a big demand.  My brother does almost exclusively green work but on million dollar plus houses
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 05:39:57 PM »
As wit. A wit some members here fail to get, hence my slow progression. I dont like leaving people behind... ;)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 05:43:08 PM »
As wit. A wit some members here fail to get, hence my slow progression. I dont like leaving people behind... ;)

oh go on - force youself.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 05:47:09 PM »

My effort has to be worth it, otherwise I may as well get along with Herbert's algebra...

Though, when you stop larking around with the green brigade, we can have a serious conversation on the matter. Until then, adios. As far as this thread is concerned...

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 05:49:19 PM »
(Also called "copout".)

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 05:54:04 PM »

My effort has to be worth it, otherwise I may as well get along with Herbert's algebra...

Though, when you stop larking around with the green brigade, we can have a serious conversation on the matter. Until then, adios. As far as this thread is concerned...

*listens as the sounds of mist all around overtake the sounds of wanking slowly fading into the distance*
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.