Author Topic: Darwin strikes again!  (Read 408 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Darwin strikes again!
« on: February 24, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »
Man died after taking part in fairy cake eating competition

A man taking part in an eating contest has died after several fairy cakes became lodged in his throat.

Adam Deeley, 34, collapsed in the early hours of last Friday morning at the Monkey Cafe nightclub in Swansea. Staff at the venue tried to revive him before paramedics arrived.

South Wales Police are waiting for the outcome of a post-mortem examination before they announce the cause of death, but are treating it as an accident.

Deeley, originally from Birmingham, was a graphic design student in Swansea. He also worked at the nightclub, but he was attending the event, a cake-eating contest to raise funds for a local artist, on his night off. He is thought to have agreed to take part at around 2am to help clear up leftover cakes.

A spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Service said paramedics were called shortly after with reports a man was choking. Although the ambulance arrived within 10 minutes, Deeley was pronounced dead at Singleton hospital at 3.20am. There are no suspicious circumstances and the police are preparing a file for the coroner, he added.

In a statement released last night to the BBC, club owners Amanda Davey and Paul Dyke said: "We're all in shock. He was loved by his co-workers and friends at Monkey. It was a tragic and very sad accident and should serve as a cautionary tale. Our deepest sympathy goes out to his family."

An inquest is expected to open this week.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Darwin strikes again!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 08:43:59 PM »
I feel sorry for the guy.

I didn't know that fairy cakes were the same thing that we call cupcakes, until I looked it up.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 08:48:06 PM »
How is this worthy of a Darwin? There's nothing stupid or wrong or asking for it about eating lots of fairy cakes.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 09:22:07 PM »
How is this worthy of a Darwin? There's nothing stupid or wrong or asking for it about eating lots of fairy cakes.
I like your attitude!
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 02:54:28 AM »
i heard that on the radio last night, and nearly wet myself laughing.

i mean, how butch is it to get into one of those testosterone-led eating competitions by ingesting FAIRY CAKES!!!

:LMAO:

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:57:31 AM »
Someone's in denial

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 03:04:48 AM »
This reminds me of Hold your wee for a Wii. A 27 year old died from drinking too much water because of water intoxication.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 03:05:40 AM »
This reminds me of Hold your wee for a Wii. A 27 year old died from drinking too much water because of water intoxication.

Yes, that was dumb, and sad.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 04:43:58 AM »
A real Darwin type award popped up in the newspaper tonight here.

This 21 year old kid was pissed off because his old neighbours were complaining to him about the noise. So he goes and punches their glass door in to piss them off and is now in critical condition for extensive bleeding.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 06:33:43 AM »
Ever see these things on TV they show the Coney Island hot dog one every year on the NYC news it's disgusting  :eh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 06:39:32 AM »
A real Darwin type award popped up in the newspaper tonight here.

This 21 year old kid was pissed off because his old neighbours were complaining to him about the noise. So he goes and punches their glass door in to piss them off and is now in critical condition for extensive bleeding.

I wonder if he's going to sue them for injury and emotional distress.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 08:00:22 AM »

I didn't know that was possible.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 08:49:22 AM »

I didn't know that was possible.

Overconsumption of water can cause fatal swelling of the brain and other organs.  Electrolytes diffuse out of the tissue and water diffuses in, increasing the fluid volume of the organ.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 09:06:11 AM »
Thats what he gets for doing competitve eating.    I refuse to consider that a sport, it disgusts me.
:P   Internets are super serious.

richard

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 09:29:31 AM »
eating contests discust me.  :thumbdn: