Educational

Author Topic: People Who Choose To Not Be Vegetarian.  (Read 8832 times)

Offline Cryono

• Part of the Chaos
Re: People Who Choose To Not Be Vegetarian.
« Reply #120 on: November 06, 2006, 01:27:59 PM »
It is true that B12 is available only from animal products, but only a very small amount of animal products need to be consumed to satisfy the body's need.  I believe it takes three months for the body's reserves of B12 to be depleted.  Meat and animal products need be no more thn 2 - 5% of your diet (like the diet of natural primates) as long as the rest is healthy vegan food.  Think of apes, the strongest primate in the world-- their diet is 98% vegan.

I would not trust a study of veganism in India where malnutrition is rampant and choices for food are limited due to poverty and prob also a lack of education about nutrition.

The Mayo clinic and a recent book called the China Study have found that the single greatest predictor of cancer development are the amount of animal products in a person's diet.  The higher the amount of vegan food in the person's diet, the lower their chance of developing cancer.  The correlation is stronger even than exposure to pesticides.

(And the only proven method to expand lifespan, btw, is a restricted calorie diet, more or less regardless of what you're eating.)

I have been 90-100% vegan on any given day since early 2004; I eat meat about 1-2x a month and small amounts of dairy about 2-3x a week.  The rest is strictly vegan... the difference in my health between then and now is remarkable, I basically don't get sick anymore, even when there is a nasty flu bug or cold going through my family.  I used to always be the sickest one in the family when we got sick.

However I think the nutritional needs of children are very different from adults, they should probably have a much higher intake of animal products (babies are designed to live only a dairy, mother's milk, for the first years of life, after all, which is how it was done until baby formula was developed).  But as adults I believe those animal products are harmful in anything other than very small quantities and study after study proves the benefits of vegan foods.

I'm sorry if I sound like a foody or food snob but I discovered veganism when I was gravely ill for more than a year with a bacterial infection that was antibiotic resistant.  I was desperate to get better and researched everything I could about nutrition.  It was only when I went nearly completely vegan, taking in only small amounts of animal products, that I got better.  I would love for other people to realize the health benefits of vegan foods and the damage of a high intake of meat and dairy products.

Also, for those who eat beef, there have been studies indicating that many cases of Alzheimers are actually misdiagnosed cases of mad cow-- the diagnosis cannot be definitive unless an autopsy is done on the brain.  Many post-mortem examinations of "Alzheimer's" brains actually indicate mad cow. 

Even if you can only get your diet to 80% vegan (80% strictly plant produce-- grains, legumes, nuts, vegetables, fruits, plant oils, etc) you would see a vast benefit to yourself.

There's no doubt that you don't need a lot to survive.  Hell, I'm a weight lifter and even I only eat a small amount of lean meat once a day for the protein value.  My only point was that it is, indeed, needed and a naturally occuring aspect of human nature.  One thing that really gets me is the people that say, "People aren't meant to eat animals!  It's not nature!  It won't hurt you to be vegan!"... when in fact... it does hurt you to be 100% vegan.  But yeah, too much animal consumption leads to increases in LDL cholesterol (which in turn raises blood pressure), increases fatty lipids (and, therefore, waiseline), increases odds of heart disease, etc.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 01:30:30 PM by Cryono »

hiroshima

« Reply #121 on: November 06, 2006, 04:38:33 PM »
If people weren't meant to eat animals, why do we have carnivore teeth?

But most of our teeth are herbivorous.

Offline techstepgenr8tion

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2006, 10:20:04 PM »
There's no doubt that you don't need a lot to survive.  Hell, I'm a weight lifter and even I only eat a small amount of lean meat once a day for the protein value.  My only point was that it is, indeed, needed and a naturally occuring aspect of human nature.  One thing that really gets me is the people that say, "People aren't meant to eat animals!  It's not nature!  It won't hurt you to be vegan!"... when in fact... it does hurt you to be 100% vegan.  But yeah, too much animal consumption leads to increases in LDL cholesterol (which in turn raises blood pressure), increases fatty lipids (and, therefore, waiseline), increases odds of heart disease, etc.

We're VERY different, I've wanted to work out but have had to stop anytime I stayed with it for more than a month do to feeling like I'd pass out the next day (I mean literally fainting spells), feeling like I was getting stabbed in the legs walking up stairs when I've only worked shoulders, and generally thinking it threw my thyroid way out of balance - people have made the 6 meals a day argument with me but I think I snack enough on MEAT to cover it and it still seems like I need Myoplex or something of the like.
Born into this world for one inherent purpose: to drop science and drop it heavy.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2006, 10:33:07 PM »
why is it ok for animals to eat other animals, but it's not ok for humans to eat animals?

Scrapheap

« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2006, 10:34:47 PM »
why is it ok for animals to eat other animals, but it's not ok for humans to eat animals?

Because humans are'nt animals. We're god's children.  :LMAO:

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #125 on: November 07, 2006, 11:05:10 PM »
:LMAO:

Offline techstepgenr8tion

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2006, 01:57:43 AM »

Because humans are'nt animals. We're god's children.  :LMAO:

Touche.
Born into this world for one inherent purpose: to drop science and drop it heavy.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2006, 05:27:58 PM »
Hey, I got a question:  If humans were to eat humans would they necessarily get all the vitamins and minerals and crap they need?
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2006, 06:26:58 PM »
Hey, I got a question:  If humans were to eat humans would they necessarily get all the vitamins and minerals and crap they need?

Wouldn't it depend on how well you chose your livestock?

:laugh:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2006, 06:35:14 PM »
they probably would if they ate flo

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2006, 07:52:39 PM »
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2006, 07:57:58 PM »
I don't know if I could tolerate breeding flo's.  And good god knows how they'd get along with each other.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2006, 08:56:06 PM »
they probably would if they ate flo

Good one, QC!

I rarely laugh out loud, but I will return to this little quip with a devious chuckle under my breath for a long time.

Thank you.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2006, 12:34:31 PM »
* fluorescent acts differently offline, and he is friendly and people generally like him, but when he was younger he was made fun of alot for not socializing. 

I socialize more than anyone else here now, because I grew calmer.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2006, 12:37:37 PM »
you don't socialize more than me.

though i cannot say that i am happy about it.

how is aspie trash?
Misunderstood.