Educational

Author Topic: People Who Choose To Not Be Vegetarian.  (Read 8829 times)

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: People Who Choose To Not Be Vegetarian.
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2006, 12:54:41 PM »
* Nomaken advocates the killing and consuming of any kingdom of organisms people see fit.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2006, 01:16:18 PM »
The reason "Because people want to" trumps every good reason against it.

Then why is "I'm a vegetarian because I want to be" usually met with such affront?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2006, 03:20:15 PM »
Because people want to be assholes.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2006, 06:24:08 PM »
The reason "Because people want to" trumps every good reason against it.

Then why is "I'm a vegetarian because I want to be" usually met with such affront?

I've honestly never seen anyone give that answer though, they usually have some explanation as to why its a more morally sound decision to make.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2006, 08:18:38 PM »
Usually I never find out who the people who choose to be vegetarians because they wanna be are because they don't make a big deal about it.  It is the people who are vegetarians because they wanna be and they wanna justify themselves to all the meat eating peoples out there and preach and shit that I dislike.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #110 on: October 30, 2006, 04:20:57 AM »
Usually I never find out who the people who choose to be vegetarians because they wanna be are because they don't make a big deal about it.  It is the people who are vegetarians because they wanna be and they wanna justify themselves to all the meat eating peoples out there and preach and shit that I dislike.

Exactly-which just gets people's backs up in the same way that any preaching does.

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2006, 02:34:55 PM »
...........I'm suddenly reminded of a quote I heard somewhere.

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat"

:laugh:

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2006, 02:35:52 PM »
...........I'm suddenly reminded of a quote I heard somewhere.

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat"

:laugh:

:LMAO:

Offline techstepgenr8tion

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2006, 06:03:25 PM »
Here's a really good reason - my body burns through protein like its nothing. I could sit there and eat peanuts all day trying to supplement it but I don't think I'm that driven to give myself all kinds of kidney stones. My thought - this is just part of how things are, life feeds on life, if your not killing a cow, chicken or pig your killing an innocent plant - with a world riddled in war, genocide, starvation, terrorism, oppression of all kinds I'd call putting that up on a pedestal just a much of a blatant mispriortization as trying to completely ban smoking in major cities.
Born into this world for one inherent purpose: to drop science and drop it heavy.

Offline Cryono

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2006, 03:21:36 AM »
It is not healthy to be vegan.  We, as humans, NEED animal products.  Let's start from the beginning:

National Geographic did a study on early humans.  Ends up that about the same time we learned to control fire in the use of cooking and eating animal tissue (see: meat) we also developed modern sized/shaped brains.  Coincidence?  Let's look at this further.  In India, vegans are RAMPANT!  It's considered by many to be a sin to eat animal products... we also see in this region high levels of nervous system deterioration and anemia caused by vitamin B12 deficiencies.  Why?  The only form of B12 we can absorb comes from animal products; those B12 caplets?  Yeah, extracted from animal lipids.  This is the same vitamin that keeps our nervous systems (see: Brain!) healthy.
(Source: The Myths of Vegetarianism by Stephen Byrnes, ND, PhD, RNCP)

Now, just because you don't eat meat doesn't mean that you're subject to this... just take supplements, drink milk or eat eggs.  All of them have plenty of B12.  There's more reasons why veganism is bad for your health but that seemed the most critical in my own humble opinion.

hiroshima

« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2006, 08:19:25 AM »
It is true that B12 is available only from animal products, but only a very small amount of animal products need to be consumed to satisfy the body's need.  I believe it takes three months for the body's reserves of B12 to be depleted.  Meat and animal products need be no more thn 2 - 5% of your diet (like the diet of natural primates) as long as the rest is healthy vegan food.  Think of apes, the strongest primate in the world-- their diet is 98% vegan.

I would not trust a study of veganism in India where malnutrition is rampant and choices for food are limited due to poverty and prob also a lack of education about nutrition.

The Mayo clinic and a recent book called the China Study have found that the single greatest predictor of cancer development are the amount of animal products in a person's diet.  The higher the amount of vegan food in the person's diet, the lower their chance of developing cancer.  The correlation is stronger even than exposure to pesticides.

(And the only proven method to expand lifespan, btw, is a restricted calorie diet, more or less regardless of what you're eating.)

I have been 90-100% vegan on any given day since early 2004; I eat meat about 1-2x a month and small amounts of dairy about 2-3x a week.  The rest is strictly vegan... the difference in my health between then and now is remarkable, I basically don't get sick anymore, even when there is a nasty flu bug or cold going through my family.  I used to always be the sickest one in the family when we got sick.

However I think the nutritional needs of children are very different from adults, they should probably have a much higher intake of animal products (babies are designed to live only a dairy, mother's milk, for the first years of life, after all, which is how it was done until baby formula was developed).  But as adults I believe those animal products are harmful in anything other than very small quantities and study after study proves the benefits of vegan foods.

I'm sorry if I sound like a foody or food snob but I discovered veganism when I was gravely ill for more than a year with a bacterial infection that was antibiotic resistant.  I was desperate to get better and researched everything I could about nutrition.  It was only when I went nearly completely vegan, taking in only small amounts of animal products, that I got better.  I would love for other people to realize the health benefits of vegan foods and the damage of a high intake of meat and dairy products.

Also, for those who eat beef, there have been studies indicating that many cases of Alzheimers are actually misdiagnosed cases of mad cow-- the diagnosis cannot be definitive unless an autopsy is done on the brain.  Many post-mortem examinations of "Alzheimer's" brains actually indicate mad cow. 

Even if you can only get your diet to 80% vegan (80% strictly plant produce-- grains, legumes, nuts, vegetables, fruits, plant oils, etc) you would see a vast benefit to yourself.

duncvis

« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2006, 08:30:21 AM »
I guarantee I'd lose weight if I tried it anyway... the no fun diet. *waves goodbye to tasty animals*

hiroshima

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2006, 10:35:50 AM »
Just let 1 out of every 10 bites be an animal!

duncvis

« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2006, 01:15:21 PM »
Just let 1 out of every 10 bites be an animal!

Nah. I enjoy food - along with music and sex its one of the great pleasures in life. Cutting out all the cool stuff like pies, pizza, nachos, chicken in its many tasty forms, sausage and egg butties, chocolate, chicken naan kebabs, burgers, most curries and strawberry milkshakes, having to have fucking soya milk in my coffee..... For only ten percent of my intake to be meat eggs and dairy I'd have to knock most of that on the head. Hell, I like bread, pasta and rice, but its better with some form of animal product mixed with it. If I ate a 'healthier' diet I might or might not live longer... but it would definitely fucking feel like it. :puke:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2006, 01:19:51 PM »
i just ate, but am suddenly hungry again!
Misunderstood.