Author Topic: me and smoking  (Read 424 times)

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
me and smoking
« on: February 12, 2008, 10:11:23 AM »
I am just curious to know who thinks I am going to be able to stay quit (or even wants me to stay quit), and who thinks I am going to crash and burn or wants me to crash and burn besides peaguy

purposefulinsanity

Re: me and smoking
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 10:25:57 AM »
I want you to be able to quit.  I think you can quit if you really want to, but whilst you're allowing yourself to think about it so much I think you're really going to struggle.  I'm not trying to come across as some expert here- I've only been stopped around 5 weeks this time and its taken me several attempts to get this far-so my advice is only based on my own personal experience.  But if you're really serious about stopping you need to try not to allow yourself to obsess about it so much and every time something makes you think you want a fag you need to try push it straight back out of your head, instead of dwelling on it.

Look at it this way- you want to stop (right?)  Every where you go you are going to see something that reminds you of smoking, so instead of letting it remind you of the good things about smoking (cos there's no point me trying to pretend that there aren't any) let it remind you of the bad- the morning cough, the smell, the money you could be spending on other things, the having to go stand out in the rain because you need a fag, etc,etc  And then try think about something else, it gets easier to do this with practice, and once you learn how to not dwell on it the cravings come less often.

The question you need to ask yourself really is do you really want to quit smoking?  And if yes, why?  Is it because you're sick of being a smoker or is it because you think you should stop?

ozymandias

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:34:28 AM »
In a word, what PI says is good and she's got the experience!!   :thumbup:  Focus on your own goals, not what people think!   8)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:36:00 AM »
You can do it if you really want too
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Kosmonaut

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 10:52:47 AM »
Stopping is relatively easy compared to staying stopped.
Just wait for the sensory overload when your sense of smell and taste kick in after a few weeks.
Also nicotine helps with the bipolar and neutralises the effects of caffeine.
It's a hard game. Good luck, I could do with a cig myself.  :orly:

ozymandias

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 10:55:45 AM »
I'v been around a lot of people who quit, some had to try multiple times to do so.  Thats ok, the urges/addiction is strong, I'v seen that.  I just thank whatever that I never started the habit.   It's amazing how many nurses, pharmacists, Doctors and other medical professionals I'v worked with smoked.   ::)

You can do it!  Just think of the money your saving....... 8)

Offline Lemon Aguilera

• lemonese pudding
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 11:27:43 AM »
i wanna start smoking.

good luck quitting though. :P
"the dreams we dream together become reality" - John Lemon

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »
thanks all the encouragement is exactly what I need and PI you are right maybe I need to focus my mind on something else right now, though that is hard to do because I was laid off recently, so I am going to try to find other things to occupy my time for now.

ozymandias

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:52:59 AM »
thanks all the encouragement is exactly what I need and PI you are right maybe I need to focus my mind on something else right now, though that is hard to do because I was laid off recently, so I am going to try to find other things to occupy my time for now.

Your going to busy enough finding work and other things.  Your time will be occupied and a better reason not to spend scarce money on smoking!! 

Good luck

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »

Just keep thinking positively Jman- don't think 'I can't have a fag', instead keep telling yourself 'I don't really want one.'

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 12:59:39 PM »

Yes, I think that PI is right and I think that you can do it if you want to, Jman.

The_P

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 01:18:45 PM »

Just keep thinking positively Jman- don't think 'I can't have a fag', instead keep telling yourself 'I don't really want one.'

He does while I'm around. :p

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 01:38:45 PM »

He does while I'm around. :p

You twisted fucker  >:D

richard

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 02:16:20 PM »
i think its great your quitting dude :plus:

duncvis

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 03:21:59 PM »
You can do it if you remember you don't want to smoke, and then decide you don't smoke. I stopped numerous times before quitting for good in January last year, and have to say the trick to staying stopped is reminding yourself that you don't smoke any more. Its already gone, in a hey, remember when I used to smoke? I would have had a fag about now with a cup of coffee, but now I'm just having the coffee because I don't smoke'. trying to ignore it doesn't work imo, cos its EVERYWHERE in your daily routine. better to acknowledge it, then carry on regardless. eventually you stop remembering to not smoke, and you're just not doing it any more. woo. </jedi mind trick>