Educational

Author Topic: Wrong Planet.  (Read 16205 times)

The_Chosen_One

Re: Wrong Planet.
« Reply #525 on: August 01, 2008, 08:37:44 AM »
There are only two words that describe Illusionist's bragging about his IQ:- penis envy.  :penis:

The more he mentions it, the more he is over-compensationg.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #526 on: August 01, 2008, 10:04:06 AM »
I scored about 81% at my entry exams for civil engineering, which is far more than most. I just lacked any sort of methodology in studying and you need this to be able to handle the complexity and amount of information at the university in question. Particularly as an Aspie, it isn't self-evident to develop a methodology just like that.
I scored considerably higher than 80% in my entry exams (for one 80% is the pass mark in practise for A-levels).

You can't compare entry exams from different universities in different countries. They all have very different standards and 60% at the exam I took could be equivalent to 80% at the exam you took. Comparisons are only useful when you compare results from the same tests or exams.
It could be, however most entry systems use 80% as the top grade pass mark. At least that is the way UK universities look at it.
You do need to have a metholodgy, but when you are getting behind it becomes sort of obvious. Unless you are like me and your days are spent sitting in the pub, hence why I have failed my first year and am now off to resit.

I didn't spend my days in the pub, but I did spend quite a lot of time behind my PC doing various things or at my friend's dorm chilling out and smoking pot. I guess we're both a bit lazy when it comes to studying ;)
Yup. Though next year I intend to do quite a bit of work and clinch a first.
Most people I hang out with, are into IT, engineering or law and obtained their degree at the better universities and colleges of my country.
A lot of the people I hang out with tend to do some of the more arty subjects. More the fool you for sticking too close to your subject.

I don't choose people based on their interests. Maybe you do, but my friends are people I met spontaneously in high school, in college or as friends of other friends. Considering I met most of my friends when I was in college and considering my girlfriend has a degree in law, it is only logical that most of our friends come from IT, engineering or law. I don't ONLY have friends in IT, engineering or law though.
No, but what I do is mix into wide circles, which means I am going to meet people with a range of interests.
So have I. I'm just looking for new people.
Are snobs people...?

I'm not looking for snobs. I can't stand them any more than you do.

Are you implying that intelligent and succesful intellectuals are always snobs?
No, I am implying that otherwise intelligent and supposedly successful individuals who feel a strong need to overstate their achievements are snobs. For example those who choose to join Mensa.
Political parties are far from filled with idiots, especailly once you get out of the grassroots and start playing the game.

I haven't met a single politician who isn't both mediocre and vane.

So basically you are happy to rely on speculation and dodgy guesswork.

I'm mostly interested in learning from other people's experiences or references to interesting literature on studies already taken. I don't need to be in a test group for that.
So basically you are happy to rely on speculation and dodgy guesswork.

You're twisting me words. As I said, I'm interested in reading literature on (scientific) STUDIES ALREADY TAKEN (which is hardly speculation or dodgy guesswork). I'm also interested in learning from other people's experiences, because they may know some tricks I haven't thought of myself.
In which case all you need is membership to a decent university library. Not Mensa.
IQ is a good measure of certain cognitive abilities, for example pattern recognition. As a means to measure general intelligence it is obviously insufficient as it doesn't take in account many other relevant forms of intelligence.
There are some pretty thick people with high IQs unfortunately. I have had the misfortune to have come across several.

High intelligence obviously does not imply a lack of ignorance and prejudice. It still depends on what you do with it....
Your assuming that IQ and intelligence strongly correlate. I am not entirely convinced.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #527 on: August 02, 2008, 02:11:33 PM »
Gee, my pattern recognition abilities are a lot better than yours.

And you know this how?

My IQ is a lot higher than yours, and you said this: IQ is a good measure of certain cognitive abilities, for example pattern recognition.

QED

And yes, I agree, the IQ tests are insufficient, and you've provided all the evidence we'll ever need.

Such statements show how narrowminded, prejudiced and plain idiotic you are.

Not really, but they do show what I think about you.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #528 on: August 03, 2008, 04:25:42 AM »
Gee, my pattern recognition abilities are a lot better than yours.

And you know this how?

My IQ is a lot higher than yours, and you said this: IQ is a good measure of certain cognitive abilities, for example pattern recognition.

QED

And yes, I agree, the IQ tests are insufficient, and you've provided all the evidence we'll ever need.

Regular IQ tests in no way measure a person's level of commonsense! I submit Delusionist as a prime example of such.  ;)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #529 on: August 03, 2008, 10:53:26 AM »
Rrohypnol in his Champagne ? :eyebrows:

Yeah, I think that's classy enough for me...  ;)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #530 on: August 03, 2008, 10:54:54 AM »
Don't worry Phlex, he hazes every up-comming troll.

Just piss everywhere and you'll stake out some territory. Just don't piss on me or you'll be truly sorry. :evillaugh:
Go ahead and piss on Vodzy, he is a closet lover of golden showers.

I'd have to buy him dinner a few times before I did that I think.

Nah just feed him drugs

Hey, who do you think I am? I have some class you know.

I don't. A few weeks ago I sucked dick, not for drugs, but probably because I was on them.

I agree, who's gonna do it before the drugs?

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #531 on: August 04, 2008, 01:58:39 AM »
It could be, however most entry systems use 80% as the top grade pass mark. At least that is the way UK universities look at it.

In Belgium, the criteria are different. You just need to pass (50% or 60%), but they change the difficulty of the tests depending on the number of people required. For example, some time ago they changed the requirements at the Civil Engineering entry exams from 5/5 exams passed to 4/5 entry exams passed because the number of people passing was too small. That should give an idea of the difficulty of those tests ;)

Good luck with that...

No, but what I do is mix into wide circles, which means I am going to meet people with a range of interests.

Like I said, I usually don't really look for people.

Having said that, just because MOST of my friends come from IT, engineering or law that doesn't mean all of them do.... and even those who do, tend to be quite diverse in terms of social background and interests.

No, I am implying that otherwise intelligent and supposedly successful individuals who feel a strong need to overstate their achievements are snobs. For example those who choose to join Mensa.

Some undoubtebly are. Membership of Mensa doesn't imply snobbishness, though.

You're twisting me words. As I said, I'm interested in reading literature on (scientific) STUDIES ALREADY TAKEN (which is hardly speculation or dodgy guesswork). I'm also interested in learning from other people's experiences, because they may know some tricks I haven't thought of myself.
In which case all you need is membership to a decent university library. Not Mensa.

* It can be useful to address others to know which books exactly to read, rather than just picking books at random
* It would be useful to learn about experiences from others face to face and actually have a conversation on such topics, what you cannot do by reading books.

Your assuming that IQ and intelligence strongly correlate. I am not entirely convinced.

Some forms of intelligence strongly correlate with IQ. Other forms of intelligence (eg. emotional intelligence) are entirely ignored by IQ.

My IQ is a lot higher than yours

What is your IQ and what test did you take?

... but your thoughts are narrowminded, prejudiced and plain idiotic.

Regular IQ tests in no way measure a person's level of commonsense!

What you call commonsense is nothing but falling for indoctrination. It is true that regular IQ tests do not measure the degree a person has fallen victim to indoctrination.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #532 on: August 04, 2008, 02:15:27 AM »
Commonsense is nothing to do with indoctrination. Commonsense is the ability to pick the bullshit from the facts, and the ability to use the facts in a constructive format. Indoctrination is where people are blindly led by the nose through the subjugation of their will to brainwashing by those whos are able to manipulate them. Therefore, the more gullible you are, the more likely you are to be indoctrinated, and the more bullshit you are likely to swallow. By using commonsence, you avoid this and are less likely to get sucked in. Therefore, by using commonsense, I have dedied your argument on Nazism and the war to be a surious load of bullshit, and I am less likely to fall for it.

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #533 on: August 04, 2008, 02:21:35 AM »
Commonsense is nothing to do with indoctrination. Commonsense is the ability to pick the bullshit from the facts, and the ability to use the facts in a constructive format. Indoctrination is where people are blindly led by the nose through the subjugation of their will to brainwashing by those whos are able to manipulate them.

You THINK you can pick BS from facts, but all you do is apply your own prejudice based on indoctrination.

Therefore, the more gullible you are, the more likely you are to be indoctrinated, and the more bullshit you are likely to swallow.

... and you obviously know this first hand ;)

By using commonsence, you avoid this and are less likely to get sucked in. Therefore, by using commonsense, I have dedied your argument on Nazism and the war to be a surious load of bullshit, and I am less likely to fall for it.

It is your prejucide rather than commonsense that made you act and think this way.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #534 on: August 04, 2008, 02:45:58 AM »
I think it's YOU who have fallen for indoctrination, my so called smart friend, because you seem to spout the same mantra over and over again. You stick steadfastly to the belief that everything you say as far as the Holocaust and the war is fact (by quoting biased sources and bullshit websites), and say anything to the contrary is an an argument to destabilize society and part of the propaganda program intended to cut you down and make you look like a fool. Some of it may be so, but you seem to be doing a splendid job of it on your own without any of us to help you. You say we are prejudiced because we don't follow your 'party line'. It's obvious that you haven't got the slightest scintilla of an idea on how a debate works. You have argued your load of drivel, and we have decided we think it is such. You then want us to believe your sources as fact, and while we don't necessarily quote reams of sources on our own to denigrate yours, you ignore our comments because they aren't what you want. Maybe I am prejudiced, but it isn't against you so much, it's against the ignorrant high-handed attitude you've adopted in expecting us to be your pawns in this great propaganda game you are playing. And this little black duck doesn't play by your rules. And if you don't like that, my destabilized friend, then you can go tell it to the fishes.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #535 on: August 04, 2008, 08:01:39 AM »
What is your IQ and what test did you take?

As I said, I've taken several tests. The first was when I was around six and indicated an intelligence of "higher than 140". As the purpose was not to measure my IQ but to see if I was ready to start school, the shrink didn't complete the tests, according to my mum. The test was most likely a WISC (I don't have the test and my mum does not know, but the WISC-R was commonly used then). I'm surprised they didn't allow me to do all tests, to be honest, considering the IQ craze back then.

A test done in two steps when I was 21 said 155+ after the first, and 163 after the second. I think it was a WAIS test because it was somewhat similar to the one I took when dx'd, but this was before there was a WAIS-III, and the uni then employed several tests. This was the one that qualified me for Mensa, according to the uni people supervising the test.

My last test was a WAIS-R NI (a spaz-compensated variation of the WAIS-III, I'm told) done when I was dx'd in 2006. The results I have from that are in graphic form, mostly. The doc said that there is little use in comparing the results to the earlier ones, considering the purpose of the tests, the time span since, and the un-evenness of my recent tests, but she did say that my IQ should belong in the "exceptionally gifted" category.

Can you shut up now? Or, at least, stop using your IQ to give imaginary weight to your delusions?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:07:04 AM by odeon »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #536 on: August 04, 2008, 03:33:27 PM »

It is your prejucide rather than commonsense that made you act and think this way.

wtf is prejucide?  murder of prejus?  in which case, wtf is a preju?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #537 on: August 04, 2008, 03:37:17 PM »

It's a fancy way of saying "before ju".

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #538 on: August 04, 2008, 03:37:50 PM »

It's a fancy way of saying "before ju".

ohhhhhhhh, i see.

so wtf's "ju"?

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #539 on: August 04, 2008, 04:31:56 PM »

In Belgium, the criteria are different. You just need to pass (50% or 60%), but they change the difficulty of the tests depending on the number of people required. For example, some time ago they changed the requirements at the Civil Engineering entry exams from 5/5 exams passed to 4/5 entry exams passed because the number of people passing was too small. That should give an idea of the difficulty of those tests ;)
You can also get onto a civil engineering course over here with similar percentages. However 80% is what you would need to get on a top course.

Good luck with that...
Thanks, I will probably need it :S

Like I said, I usually don't really look for people.

Having said that, just because MOST of my friends come from IT, engineering or law that doesn't mean all of them do.... and even those who do, tend to be quite diverse in terms of social background and interests.

So why would you want to join Mensa then. Lets face it, its hardly an organisation known for diversity of membership.

Some undoubtebly are. Membership of Mensa doesn't imply snobbishness, though.

* It can be useful to address others to know which books exactly to read, rather than just picking books at random
* It would be useful to learn about experiences from others face to face and actually have a conversation on such topics, what you cannot do by reading books.
Your assuming these people actually have in depth knowledge on all this. Like most researchers into autism however, I suspect there is much charlantanism to whatever "knowledge" they peddle about.

Some forms of intelligence strongly correlate with IQ. Other forms of intelligence (eg. emotional intelligence) are entirely ignored by IQ.
I doubt IQ is accurate even for the areas it is designed to measure, myself.