Author Topic: Wrong Planet.  (Read 16459 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Wrong Planet.
« Reply #510 on: July 30, 2008, 04:29:44 PM »
Can't you even write a single post in this thread without insulting me for disagreeing with your liberal rubbish?

No, but that's because you really are a moron and sort of fun to play with. Your eagerness to quote your IQ is your downfall.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #511 on: July 30, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »
I had an IQ test 30+ years ago, can't remember my score and I really don't give a rats ass what it was.  Maybe after I get my psych eval. in writing I'll post the results here just for fun.   :P

But, I'v always considered myself "smarter than the average bear"  ayayayaayay   :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:38:10 PM by ozymandias »

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #512 on: July 30, 2008, 06:03:32 PM »
I did IQ tests my whole life up till age 12. On my last one I scored above average in the 120's but I have troubles believing it's my true IQ. After years of taking IQ tests, I had practice with them. My IQ went up every year I took them. Same as my verbal IQ.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #513 on: July 30, 2008, 08:04:22 PM »
Don't worry Phlex, he hazes every up-comming troll.

Just piss everywhere and you'll stake out some territory. Just don't piss on me or you'll be truly sorry. :evillaugh:
Go ahead and piss on Vodzy, he is a closet lover of golden showers.

I'd have to buy him dinner a few times before I did that I think.

Nah just feed him drugs

Hey, who do you think I am? I have some class you know.

I don't. A few weeks ago I sucked dick, not for drugs, but probably because I was on them.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2008, 02:22:59 AM »
* ) It can be a plus for your resume.

Nah, that is what a first class degree is for.

I tried Civil Engineering, but because high school was too easy for me I never learned to study and didn't know how to deal with the amount and complexity of information provided. Thus, I just went for a Bachelor's in IT.

* ) It can make it easier to find people interested in intellectual activities like philosophical debate or abstract board games.
There are better ways of doing the above as opposed joining Mensa, e.g academia, political parties, think tanks and other such clubs.

Political parties are full of idiots and academia isn't as interesting as one might think (I know several doctorate students and my father-in-law to be is a doctor in genetics). Think tanks and gentleman clubs are far more interesting, but they require connections.

* ) It has a special interest group focussed at researching and debating common side-effects of high intelligence like Asperger's.
Most universities research it anyway, with access to laboratories, the whole academic community and so on. 

How am I supposed to get involved without becoming an official guinea pig?

No, but that's because you really are a moron and sort of fun to play with.

I'm not the moron here.

Your eagerness to quote your IQ is your downfall.

I only mention my IQ when people insist on calling me a moron, as it shows their own stupidity.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #515 on: July 31, 2008, 03:00:32 AM »
* ) It can be a plus for your resume.

Nah, that is what a first class degree is for.

I tried Civil Engineering, but because high school was too easy for me I never learned to study and didn't know how to deal with the amount and complexity of information provided. Thus, I just went for a Bachelor's in IT.
So basically you were not good enough to do well at an engineering degree so copped out. You know for someone who claims to be so bright, finding a new way of working would not be that difficult...
* ) It can make it easier to find people interested in intellectual activities like philosophical debate or abstract board games.
There are better ways of doing the above as opposed joining Mensa, e.g academia, political parties, think tanks and other such clubs.

Political parties are full of idiots and academia isn't as interesting as one might think (I know several doctorate students and my father-in-law to be is a doctor in genetics). Think tanks and gentleman clubs are far more interesting, but they require connections.
It depends what you do that Doctorate in, and where. Asides, even as an undergraduate, I have been able to find quite a range of people to debate etc with. The connections to be in a thinktank/ gentlemans club normally come from academia or joining a local political party, in fact just by being a member of the Tories (pretty sure you can find people there who agree with your political views) you can go into their members club.
* ) It has a special interest group focussed at researching and debating common side-effects of high intelligence like Asperger's.
Most universities research it anyway, with access to laboratories, the whole academic community and so on. 

How am I supposed to get involved without becoming an official guinea pig?
What's the point of research that cannot be checked or verified correctly?
No, but that's because you really are a moron and sort of fun to play with.

I'm not the moron here.

Your eagerness to quote your IQ is your downfall.

I only mention my IQ when people insist on calling me a moron, as it shows their own stupidity.
You are a fool if you believe IQ is a good measure of intelligence. Speaking as someone allegedly in the "genius" range...

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2008, 04:06:17 AM »

So basically you were not good enough to do well at an engineering degree so copped out. You know for someone who claims to be so bright, finding a new way of working would not be that difficult...

I scored about 81% at my entry exams for civil engineering, which is far more than most. I just lacked any sort of methodology in studying and you need this to be able to handle the complexity and amount of information at the university in question. Particularly as an Aspie, it isn't self-evident to develop a methodology just like that.

It depends what you do that Doctorate in, and where.

Most people I hang out with, are into IT, engineering or law and obtained their degree at the better universities and colleges of my country.

Asides, even as an undergraduate, I have been able to find quite a range of people to debate etc with.

So have I. I'm just looking for new people.

The connections to be in a thinktank/ gentlemans club normally come from academia or joining a local political party, in fact just by being a member of the Tories (pretty sure you can find people there who agree with your political views) you can go into their members club.

Like I said, political parties are filled with idiots. Besides that, I strongly object to mainstream politics anyway.

Further, I don't think Belgian society is as class-oriented as British society. Of all the university students I met in my life, I don't think even a single one was part of a gentlemen's club.

My future father-in-law comes from what once used to be a local elite family and he once was a member of Rotary. Also, one of my best friends has an uncle who's a multi-billionaire. That's as high up as my connections go. For the time to be, those connections are not very useful, though. Maybe if I'll be married with children or my friend becomes CEO of one of his uncle's companies, those connections will prove their use.

I'm mostly interested in learning from other people's experiences or references to interesting literature on studies already taken. I don't need to be in a test group for that.

You are a fool if you believe IQ is a good measure of intelligence.

IQ is a good measure of certain cognitive abilities, for example pattern recognition. As a means to measure general intelligence it is obviously insufficient as it doesn't take in account many other relevant forms of intelligence.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #517 on: July 31, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »
IQ is a good measure of certain cognitive abilities, for example pattern recognition. As a means to measure general intelligence it is obviously insufficient as it doesn't take in account many other relevant forms of intelligence.

Gee, my pattern recognition abilities are a lot better than yours. And yes, I agree, the IQ tests are insufficient, and you've provided all the evidence we'll ever need.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #518 on: July 31, 2008, 03:27:26 PM »

I scored about 81% at my entry exams for civil engineering, which is far more than most. I just lacked any sort of methodology in studying and you need this to be able to handle the complexity and amount of information at the university in question. Particularly as an Aspie, it isn't self-evident to develop a methodology just like that.
I scored considerably higher than 80% in my entry exams (for one 80% is the pass mark in practise for A-levels). You do need to have a metholodgy, but when you are getting behind it becomes sort of obvious. Unless you are like me and your days are spent sitting in the pub, hence why I have failed my first year and am now off to resit.
It depends what you do that Doctorate in, and where.

Most people I hang out with, are into IT, engineering or law and obtained their degree at the better universities and colleges of my country.
A lot of the people I hang out with tend to do some of the more arty subjects. More the fool you for sticking too close to your subject.
Asides, even as an undergraduate, I have been able to find quite a range of people to debate etc with.
Are snobs people...?
The connections to be in a thinktank/ gentlemans club normally come from academia or joining a local political party, in fact just by being a member of the Tories (pretty sure you can find people there who agree with your political views) you can go into their members club.

Like I said, political parties are filled with idiots. Besides that, I strongly object to mainstream politics anyway.

Further, I don't think Belgian society is as class-oriented as British society. Of all the university students I met in my life, I don't think even a single one was part of a gentlemen's club.

My future father-in-law comes from what once used to be a local elite family and he once was a member of Rotary. Also, one of my best friends has an uncle who's a multi-billionaire. That's as high up as my connections go. For the time to be, those connections are not very useful, though. Maybe if I'll be married with children or my friend becomes CEO of one of his uncle's companies, those connections will prove their use.
Political parties are far from filled with idiots, especailly once you get out of the grassroots and start playing the game.

The political society at my uni is rather unfortuantly, a gentlemans club. Much as I hate the fact, I still go.

I'm mostly interested in learning from other people's experiences or references to interesting literature on studies already taken. I don't need to be in a test group for that.
So basically you are happy to rely on speculation and dodgy guesswork. This seems to have become a recurring theme with you.
You are a fool if you believe IQ is a good measure of intelligence.

There are some pretty thick people with high IQs unfortunately. I have had the misfortune to have come across several.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #519 on: July 31, 2008, 03:29:14 PM »
 :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :yawn:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #520 on: July 31, 2008, 03:34:35 PM »

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #521 on: July 31, 2008, 04:40:13 PM »
If I remember correctly my IQ test was on the high side, but, that, and  a small loan would be enough to get me decent cup of tea at Starbuck's.    In other words, a high IQ don't mean jack shit if you don't have the common sense to APPLY it.   ::)  :P

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #522 on: July 31, 2008, 05:12:11 PM »
I have learned many things from people most would consider dumb and shook my head at Ideas from those high IQ types in the past
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

ozymandias

« Reply #523 on: July 31, 2008, 06:57:51 PM »
I have learned many things from people most would consider dumb and shook my head at Ideas from those high IQ types in the past

QFT   :plus:  Oh wait, I shouldn't be so sycophantic, oh wait, if people think that of me.... :finger:, so  :plus: for Parts!   :laugh:

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #524 on: August 01, 2008, 02:14:04 AM »
Gee, my pattern recognition abilities are a lot better than yours.

And you know this how?

And yes, I agree, the IQ tests are insufficient, and you've provided all the evidence we'll ever need.

Such statements show how narrowminded, prejudiced and plain idiotic you are.

I scored considerably higher than 80% in my entry exams (for one 80% is the pass mark in practise for A-levels).

You can't compare entry exams from different universities in different countries. They all have very different standards and 60% at the exam I took could be equivalent to 80% at the exam you took. Comparisons are only useful when you compare results from the same tests or exams.

You do need to have a metholodgy, but when you are getting behind it becomes sort of obvious. Unless you are like me and your days are spent sitting in the pub, hence why I have failed my first year and am now off to resit.

I didn't spend my days in the pub, but I did spend quite a lot of time behind my PC doing various things or at my friend's dorm chilling out and smoking pot. I guess we're both a bit lazy when it comes to studying ;)

A lot of the people I hang out with tend to do some of the more arty subjects. More the fool you for sticking too close to your subject.

I don't choose people based on their interests. Maybe you do, but my friends are people I met spontaneously in high school, in college or as friends of other friends. Considering I met most of my friends when I was in college and considering my girlfriend has a degree in law, it is only logical that most of our friends come from IT, engineering or law. I don't ONLY have friends in IT, engineering or law though.

Are snobs people...?

I'm not looking for snobs. I can't stand them any more than you do.

Are you implying that intelligent and succesful intellectuals are always snobs?

Political parties are far from filled with idiots, especailly once you get out of the grassroots and start playing the game.

I haven't met a single politician who isn't both mediocre and vane.

So basically you are happy to rely on speculation and dodgy guesswork.

So basically you are happy to rely on speculation and dodgy guesswork.

You're twisting me words. As I said, I'm interested in reading literature on (scientific) STUDIES ALREADY TAKEN (which is hardly speculation or dodgy guesswork). I'm also interested in learning from other people's experiences, because they may know some tricks I haven't thought of myself.

There are some pretty thick people with high IQs unfortunately. I have had the misfortune to have come across several.

High intelligence obviously does not imply a lack of ignorance and prejudice. It still depends on what you do with it....