Author Topic: Google Ads  (Read 225 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Google Ads
« on: January 15, 2008, 03:35:14 AM »
There was some talk some time ago about Google ads for Intensity² but we didn't get them because we were too adult oriented.

I just saw this Google ad for the Judge Rotenberg Center on another site that has Google ads:

School for Autistic Kids
Drug Free Behavioral Treatment Guaranteed Results, Contact Us Now!
www.judgerc.org/

>:(

I deliberately broke their link, BTW.

Soph

Re: Google Ads
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 03:47:16 AM »
I saw a google ad on wp once for something like that; it spelled Aspergers wrong

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:49:58 PM »
Do you have any control over who gets to advertise?

I know the bandwidth has to be paid for somehow, but Google ads are exactly what creeps me out whenever I visit WP.  If you don't mind me asking, where did you see the JRC ad?  I've seen it before (not on an Aspie site, mind you, but on some odd ethnic news site that happened to have an Asperger's article on that particular day).

The only alternative I can suggest (aside from soliciting donations from users) is merchandising, through the likes of CafePress or somesuch.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:18:12 PM »
Do you have any control over who gets to advertise?

I know the bandwidth has to be paid for somehow, but Google ads are exactly what creeps me out whenever I visit WP.  If you don't mind me asking, where did you see the JRC ad?  I've seen it before (not on an Aspie site, mind you, but on some odd ethnic news site that happened to have an Asperger's article on that particular day).

The only alternative I can suggest (aside from soliciting donations from users) is merchandising, through the likes of CafePress or somesuch.

It was an Aspie site.

If a site has Google ads, I don't know if you get control over who gets to advertise, but it made me glad that we never got them, if that was the kind of ad we might get.  I think that Google decides what ads to place depending on certain keywords there, but I think that the process is automated.

Offline Rabbit From Hell

• Milla's Husband
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Gun or turkey baster? Do you feel lucky, punk?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 07:30:54 PM »
There was some talk some time ago about Google ads for Intensity² but we didn't get them because we were too adult oriented.

I just saw this Google ad for the Judge Rotenberg Center on another site that has Google ads:

School for Autistic Kids
www.judgerc.org/

I would find some way to post pr0n on their site then report it to google so they are kicked off the ad pool.
You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having buttsex with a fish squirrel, congratulations.

politics and evil
all one and the same
satan hides behind
another name

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:44:54 PM »

If a site has Google ads, I don't know if you get control over who gets to advertise, but it made me glad that we never got them, if that was the kind of ad we might get.  I think that Google decides what ads to place depending on certain keywords there, but I think that the process is automated.

AFAIK, one has SOME control.
i.e., you can contact google,
and have certain sites blacklisted.

You can also block out large, objectionable
categories.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 10:14:12 PM »

School for Autistic Kids
www.judgerc.org/

Part of me is really smug about seeing snooty middle class parents getting shat on nice and hard. Its a pity that the child gets stuck in the middle.