Author Topic: Friend warns me about my obsessions on another forum  (Read 275 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Friend warns me about my obsessions on another forum
« on: January 07, 2008, 02:58:10 AM »
So the forum mods decide to create a new forum and lock the other one but still keep it up for archives. I register at the new forum and start a thread about Spokane and my online friend tells me be careful about my obsessions because he doesn't want to see me get hurt.  :)
I told him how can Spokane hurt me, it's a city unless it's gets nuked when I'm there or I get in a car accident there and die. Anything bad happening to me there like me being mugged or getting shot and killed, etc. but those things could happen anywhere.
He warned me because he has been hurt by his obsessions back in the 1990's when he was obsessed with Star Trek. He wouldn't explain how he got hurt because he said it was hard to explain.

Well guess what, that forum I posted on is moderated, flames aren't allowed.  :angel:

That means I can't pick fights with assholes there :( or I'd probably be banned along with that other person.

GalileoAce

Re: Friend warns me about my obsessions on another forum
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 03:07:08 AM »
I'm a nitpicker. I correct spelling and grammar (even though my own can sometimes suck), and it's a need, I have to do it; it kinda hurts if I don't. But one forum I'm on they don't like it at all, yet many of them most have left high school in year 9...Their spelling is shit. I often get pulled up by the admins on the forum for my nitpicking. I guess it shows that they want me around most of the time, otherwise they'd boot me already...

So I kinda know what it's like...Sorta.

Though by "hurt" I believe they mean that people can make fun of you because of your obsessions. I've often wondered what's so great about a city that you are obsessed on it...But I'm not you, so I accept that you and Spokane go hand in hand, but others do not. And they'll want you to leave the spokane part of you at the door, so to speak. I've been in a few social situations and on forums where one or more of my obsessions are not welcome...It's not fun really. But opening up about your obsessions to the wrong person can lead to some idiots attacking you because of what you enjoy.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 08:09:28 AM »
Gods. Some of the people over at WP acted
like they wanted moderators to enforce a
"no correcting grammar" policy.

I mean, it's one thing to just flame someone
to hell for it, but you should be able to make
suggestions. The worst are the goddamned
netspeakers - with their shit abreviations.
Their excuse? it's too much effort to fucking
type out whole words, or punctuate. Well, it's
a hell of a lot more effort to decipher that crap,
IF you're not a fucking WOW player.

:soapbox:

And yes, Catrona, you're in that group. Though
you seem better here, now.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:47:39 PM »
I have been made fun of in real life about being obsessed with Star Trek and my feelings were hurt. Maybe that is what they mean by "hurt"?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

richard

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 05:53:26 PM »
knock that silly fool out verbally spokane girl, we know you know how to do it!

Offline Lemon Aguilera

• lemonese pudding
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 05:54:17 PM »
maybe someone spoiled the last episode for him. ??? that's what i would call hurting. :P
"the dreams we dream together become reality" - John Lemon

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 06:22:42 PM »
I can think of several ways one can be hurt by an interest in Star Trek.  However, that deserves a thread of its own, so I'll start one.  This falls along the lines of seeking out others who share your obsessions, but you have to be careful.

As for being obsessed with a city...  Not too long ago, mine was Atlanta (for practical reasons, however, like it being big and full of opportunity, but in the southeastern US where I wouldn't have to worry too much about culture shock).  I tried for the longest time to find a job there so I could move there.  Got a couple of phone interviews and an on-site interview in one of its suburbs, but no offer.  Worth a try, though.

Have you thought about looking for a job in Spokane?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 06:39:59 PM »
When I lived in Montana I did but decided Portland because it was where I grew up and it's bigger and have more stores and more stuff to do, there is reliable transportation so I don't have to drive. Spokane doesn't have lot of buses and they aren't as good.

Soph

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
I've ended up in pain a couple times from walking up to the museum when I've been ill