Author Topic: Thanksgiving other places  (Read 877 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: Thanksgiving other places
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 09:22:20 AM »
We have Burn's night, where we dance and eat haggis and listen to people reciting poetry.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 09:24:49 AM »
What does haggis taste like I have always been afraid to try it
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 09:32:50 AM »

Kind of... haggisy...

It depends on how the haggis was made; some commercial haggises come out of tins or plastic bungs, and tend to be pretty mild, but ones that come out of real stomachs tend to have more spices in them and have a slight taste of vomit to them, though in a kind of pleasant way.  I prefer the stronger tasting ones.  It's got a fairly creamy texture too from the organ meat, and is sort of chewy because of the barley.  If you've ever had black pudding, you'll be able to handle haggis; black pudding is much nastier.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 09:35:09 AM »

Kind of... haggisy...

It depends on how the haggis was made; some commercial haggises come out of tins or plastic bungs, and tend to be pretty mild, but ones that come out of real stomachs tend to have more spices in them and have a slight taste of vomit to them, though in a kind of pleasant way.  I prefer the stronger tasting ones.  It's got a fairly creamy texture too from the organ meat, and is sort of chewy because of the barley.  If you've ever had black pudding, you'll be able to handle haggis; black pudding is much nastier.

Well maybe some day if I'm drinking I'll get brave  never had black pudding

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 09:45:59 AM »
Thanksgiving is not all that big at our house, this year. I actually have to go to work at two AM tomorrow and there will be holiday shoppers lined up to get in the door. They tell me that the line starts to build before dark on T-day and some of the people camp overnight on our doorsteps, because of our fabulous discounts, which are only available that day.

I don't really get into any of that, but I have a sis-in-law who participates in these things.

I will get my first taste, tomorrow morning.

:yikes:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 09:51:36 AM »
Aussie holidays do not include a "Thanksgiving" equivalent..Well not to my knowledge. I suppose 'ANZAC Day' might somewhat act in someway like that...but not really. There's also 'Australia Day' in which we recognise the birth of the Australian nation, and celebrate it. Though that may be more analogous to 'Independance Day'.

So...I guess we do not have such an equivalent. We don't really need to give thanks to anyone...I mean we started out as a prison colony..I can really imagine a bunch of prisoners thanking the builder of the prison...Yep.

But what is "Thanksgiving" about? How did it start? What does it signify?
It's about honoring all the forces of nature that have lead to a successful harvest and a bountiful year. It started during the first years of the white European invasion of North America. It was actually a symbol of unity at the time.

Now, it only seems to be an excuse for personal gluttony, not only where food is concerned, but also gift buying for the Christmas season.

No comment on what gift giving means during Christmas, for now.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 05:22:22 PM »

Kind of... haggisy...

I love haggis... and black pudding. :devour: haven't had haggis for ages, since PI's mum emigrated. they used to go to scotland a fair bit and fetch back a traditional one from a small town butchers, and serve it with mash and swede. good stuff.

Offline Fritz the Cat

• Bathroom Fun
  • Constant Poster
  • Just because I have the coolest name ever
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2007, 12:39:31 AM »
True story though.

Sad story though :(

I like him but not in that way
Can't say how many times I heard that before
The really sad thing was that I was really into him before, and I flirted with him and then I just gave up since he didn't show some interest back. So I moved on and my feelings became more friendlish and then after some time I met this really great guy and he just HAD to say it then. That bitch.
Booyah.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2007, 04:34:41 AM »
I actually made a guy gay once, he was a great friend of mine and then he confronted me with him being inlove with me and I said that I like him but not in that way (and I just got a new boyfriend then). After that he started to like young boys instead.

Yup. I'd turn gay, if you turned me down, in person, too.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2007, 04:35:17 AM »

I like him but not in that way
Can't say how many times I heard that before

Fuck that shit. You just screwed up. That's all it means.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007, 04:35:59 AM »

I'll try anything once. Probably twice.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007, 04:36:34 AM »

I don't really get into any of that, but I have a sis-in-law who participates in these things.

I will get my first taste, tomorrow morning.

:yikes:
You get to eat your sis'in law? Cool shit.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007, 11:02:48 AM »
Aussie holidays do not include a "Thanksgiving" equivalent..Well not to my knowledge. I suppose 'ANZAC Day' might somewhat act in someway like that...but not really. There's also 'Australia Day' in which we recognise the birth of the Australian nation, and celebrate it. Though that may be more analogous to 'Independance Day'.

So...I guess we do not have such an equivalent. We don't really need to give thanks to anyone...I mean we started out as a prison colony..I can really imagine a bunch of prisoners thanking the builder of the prison...Yep.

It's about honoring all the forces of nature that have lead to a successful harvest and a bountiful year. It started during the first years of the white European invasion of North America. It was actually a symbol of unity at the time.

Now, it only seems to be an excuse for personal gluttony, not only where food is concerned, but also gift buying for the Christmas season.

It's also about feeling guilty for all the dead Indians, who taught the settlers to farm and provided them with food during their first years.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007, 11:07:25 AM »

It's also about feeling guilty for all the dead Indians, who taught the settlers to farm and provided them with food during their first years.

My wife can work on that one one of her ancestors was one of the big names in the Pequot Wars  my family didn't come to the potato famine or latter :-\

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »

Nah, all that came later. The original Thanksgiving was a time of unity. You can not blemish the intention of Thanksgiving any worse than history has done.

I do feel a little guilty for what our government did to the Indians, (hundreds of different and unique nations, thrown into a barrel to be discarded) but most of the ones who perpetrated these travesties are dead. They are fucking dead and the Indians, who survived, have celebrated their deaths and danced for their own dead grandfathers memories while burning effigies of the ones who fucked them over and over and over, for years, upon years. They are mostly OK with it all. White man may feel guilt still, but the guilt is their own, our own, not theirs. The Indians I know are happy people, yet to be conquered in spirit by governance or even taxes.

No other citizens of this country can own vast acreages of land, totally tax-free. Yes, they may have lost their grandfathers' enormous tracts of free lands, controlled only by the spirits of the ones who still live there, but in this modern world, the Humans who play the game have won the game, by default. White man loses, by their own hands.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 12:40:21 PM by DirtDawg »