Author Topic: people here anti ASD science?  (Read 2725 times)

The_P

Re: people here anti ASD science?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 02:19:16 PM »
One name: Laurent Mottron.

Look him up.

Offline Ass Fairy 69

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 03:39:16 PM »
One name: Laurent Mottron.

Baron-Cohen and a number of others have also questioned whether Asperger's was a disability or not.  I don't think there's any consensus that it is.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 03:59:33 PM »
I see it as in most cases little more than a hobby or fulfilling ones curiosities, as opposed to something that will benefit us.

what kind of "help" would you want?

i can foresee genetherapy to minimize impacts for children as well as possible improvement for adults.

CUREBIE!!! CUREBIE!!!
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 04:01:38 PM »
I don't need no stinking "help". My outlook and perspective on things are my own, and no-one is going to alter them just because my line of thinking doesn't suit society at large.

In summary, go fuck yourselves.

DITTO!!!

fucking eugenics. it's like trying to cure homosexuality instead of trying to cure the world of biggotry and hatred for unique individuals. disgusting.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 07:49:34 PM »
I see it as in most cases little more than a hobby or fulfilling ones curiosities, as opposed to something that will benefit us.

i can foresee genetherapy to minimize impacts for children as well as possible improvement for adults.

Eh, I could say more, but I prolly sound fucking pretentious, especially since I (I think just today) came out of the closet that I question that I even have AS.  I shoudl point out that even when I was sure I had it, I could see both sides of this:  Help us, yes, as you would anyone who struggles in any way (if you were of the inclination) and help involves change.  But changing us doesn't mean completely erasing and elimiinating us- there is something of value to us as well.

Hmm. If you don't mind me saying so, you seem like the kind of person that might have aspie-ish traits that might not go as far as to to net you the must-sought after DX. From what I've seen, you have a relatively healthy social life. A good thing from any perspective.  :laugh:
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline Ass Fairy 69

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 07:59:44 PM »
And there's a difference between being aspergian and being diagnosably aspergian.  You can have autistic traits left and right, but if your life is going okay and you're happy like you are, DSM says you can't be diagnosed.  Depending on your mood, you might be diagnosable one day but not the next.  But, unless you build your life around DSM, there's no bright line dividing aspies from NTs, so you don't need to consider yourself to be permanently stuck in either camp.  You can be on the fence.

Offline maldoror

• Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 08:00:25 PM »
And there's a difference between being aspergian and being diagnosably aspergian.  You can have autistic traits left and right, but if your life is going okay and you're happy like you are, DSM says you can't be diagnosed.  Depending on your mood, you might be diagnosable one day but not the next.  But, unless you build your life around DSM, there's no bright line dividing aspies from NTs, so you don't need to consider yourself to be permanently stuck in either camp.  You can be on the fence.

:agreed:

Well put.
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 08:02:45 PM »
Catrona, since you're studying to be a psychologist, do you have any idea which field of psychology offers the most opportunity for travel?

She's a biologist.

Offline maldoror

• Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 08:03:59 PM »
I think Psychology and Biology overlap at Neuroscience, not sure though.
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 08:05:56 PM »
Yeah, but really ANY research field allows ample opportunity
for travel. I was distinguishing between that, and the idea
of a practicing psychologist, as an example.

richard

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 08:47:26 PM »
im not, aslong as they dont force me to take any kind of treatment they find for it

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2007, 09:52:54 AM »
Hmm. If you don't mind me saying so, you seem like the kind of person that might have aspie-ish traits that might not go as far as to to net you the must-sought after DX. From what I've seen, you have a relatively healthy social life. A good thing from any perspective.  :laugh:

Thanks, though I was actually diagnosed.  A long time ago.  When I was messed up and met the criteria, but, assuming AS is actually something you can't "get over" (and taking into account what else might have caused the symptoms), it's possible it was a misdaognosis (though correct at the time because of the way DSM diagnoses are set up).

Good point.  I mostly want to think of myself as me, no diagnostic label, no disclaimer.  (Well, save for "I am an evil bitch and will destroy you" but that's self-evident anyway.  :laugh: )
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2007, 10:01:45 AM »
This shit annoys me because I feel like a lab rat for some dyslexic NT.

Fuck that.  :finger:

well i aint no pyschologiest... so i dont torture people

just interested in how brain works
I am the Steppenwolf who never learned to dance.

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2007, 10:08:11 AM »
I think the main issue some people on the spectrum have with it is that the way we perceive the world is completely different due to our sensory differences, differing cognitive strengths/weaknesses and methods of processing information - some aspects such as learning to develop schemas and situational rigidity are sane responses to the world in which we have to operate and the deficits we have in working in it compared to non autistic people, but some seem clearly neurological. how do you reprogram an adult brain to learn to think differently? what impact would that have on our personalities or talents?

Do you see what I'm getting at? Autism is a double edged sword, and I think it is hard to separate the 'condition' from the individual, as some of our behaviours and learned preferences etc are a reaction to our neurological differences to the norm.  :-\

as always there is personal choice....

how many people here CHOOSE to take whatever meds they're on?

by learning how the brain works at a molecular level... you can figure out where it needs help and insert molecules to help natural strengths.  if the synpase regulation im working on is responsible for sensory integration and associative learning abilities... i am seeing it as a one way positive boost.  but you could stop treatment just as well...

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP

Offline Catrona

• Constant Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2007, 10:09:12 AM »

Complete social change, in other words for society to be tipped upside down and a new society system to take hold.

im working on a satellite lazerbeam o death... as we speak

you should be able to start giving me names any day now

AKA ~ Sedaka @ WP