Educational

Author Topic: Questions about the English language  (Read 1915 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Questions about the English language
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2007, 02:18:44 AM »
To say two when too is meant is quite common, too. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2007, 02:29:46 AM »
 :laugh:

and extra esses end up at the ends of words as you can see with my last post. :P
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

The_P

Very Good Punctuation Help
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2007, 02:41:39 PM »
Colons and Semi-Colons
Commas
Apostrophes
Parentheses & Square Brackets
I.e. & E.g.
Capital Letters
Quotation Marks
Exclamation Marks
Italics
Block Quotes

Hope it's useful to you guys. Have fun learning the marvels of punctuation usage. :)

(I am being a punctuation nazi, not a grammar one.)

Soph

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2007, 02:42:57 PM »
i think it's about time i went back to punctuating my posts 8)

maybe it can be my new years resolution

The_P

Relative Clauses: How to use them properly
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2007, 03:13:48 PM »
Relative clauses are used to add information to the noun or pronoun they modify. Sometimes this clause is essential to the entire sentence. If you are without a relative clause, the sentence may not make any sense.

For example: "A person who was a former criminal will not be a potential candidate for a job at the police office."

If you erase the clause, the sentence above will not make any sense: we are not certain as to what kind of person is eligible for a job at the police office. These are called "defining relative clauses".

Now if you have a relative clause which provides interesting information, but isn't essential to the sentence in terms of meaning, you can still use the sentence without the clause as we will understand what the sentence is elaborating about.

E.g.: The knight, who is clad in ebony armour, lunges forth against the ferocious beast.

These are called "non-defining relative clauses"; you'll easily recognise them by punctuation.

Warning: Use who, whom, whose, or that for defining relative clauses; with the exception of that, use the first three relative pronouns for non-defining clauses.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:18:43 PM by The Black Knight »

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2007, 03:18:03 PM »
*brain shuts down* :orly:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

The_P

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2007, 03:19:49 PM »
*brain shuts down* :orly:

That was my being a grammar nazi.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Relative Clauses: How to use them properly
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2007, 03:54:49 PM »
Now if you have a relative clause which provides interesting information, but isn't essential to the sentence in terms of meaning, you can still use the sentence without the clause as we will understand what the sentence is elaborating about.

E.g.: The knight, who is clad in ebony armour, lunges forth against the ferocious beast.

These are called "non-defining relative clauses"; you'll easily recognise them by punctuation.

First of all, note how your first sentence would probably work better without the commas (or at least the first one). Then, consider that sentence without the relative clause:

Now if you have a relative clause which provides interesting information, you can still use the sentence without the clause as we will understand what the sentence is elaborating about.

The point is that the lost clause was not unimportant because while logically, not all "information" is essential, the lost clause is needed to state this clearly. Therefore, the commas should go.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2007, 04:26:27 PM »
lollol
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

The_P

Re: Relative Clauses: How to use them properly
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2007, 06:48:03 AM »

First of all, note how your first sentence would probably work better without the commas (or at least the first one). Then, consider that sentence without the relative clause:

Now if you have a relative clause which provides interesting information, you can still use the sentence without the clause as we will understand what the sentence is elaborating about.

The point is that the lost clause was not unimportant because while logically, not all "information" is essential, the lost clause is needed to state this clearly. Therefore, the commas should go.

But the sentence is about the knight (subject) attacking the ferocious beast (object). The relative clause I provided was not essential to the sentence in question: it still makes sense without the clause. Therefore, it's subordinated.

Though if you still believe that I'm incorrect, feel free to clarify your argument by providing me a demonstration yourself on how relative clauses should be properly used in English writing. :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 07:21:52 AM by The Black Knight »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2007, 04:17:09 PM »
Oh, the knight example is absolutely correct. I was talking about this one:

:plus: for an interesting post, btw. :)

- Albert Einstein

Offline Rabbit From Hell

• Milla's Husband
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Gun or turkey baster? Do you feel lucky, punk?
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2007, 04:31:47 PM »
can two positives make a negative?
You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having buttsex with a fish squirrel, congratulations.

politics and evil
all one and the same
satan hides behind
another name

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2007, 04:34:57 PM »

I'm positive that's an unnecessarily negative view of the truth. So, negative.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Rabbit From Hell

• Milla's Husband
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Gun or turkey baster? Do you feel lucky, punk?
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2007, 04:36:05 PM »

Yeah, right...
You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having buttsex with a fish squirrel, congratulations.

politics and evil
all one and the same
satan hides behind
another name

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2007, 04:37:43 PM »

Yeah, right...

So if I did that right, two negatives can mean a positive. :laugh:

- Albert Einstein