Author Topic: Lottery  (Read 480 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Lottery
« on: October 11, 2007, 05:18:19 PM »
Do they have tis most places or is it a real American thing.  I am always amazed at the amount of tickets I see people buy.  In Connecticut we have daily pick 3 and 4,about 30 scratch offs,classic lotto and power ball lotto. I regularly get stuck behind these people getting tons of tickets taking forever usually they look like they can't afford it too but spend 20 to 30 dollars on it.  Don't get me wrong when powerball of lotto get up there I sometimes get a ticket but for these people it's daily.  So do I just live in an addictive place or is this common elsewhere also?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

duncvis

Re: Lottery
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 05:26:20 PM »
Britain started with a weekly National Lottery draw on Saturdays in 1994, since then its spread to shitloads of scratchcards, lucky dip tickets,  a wednesday draw, thunderball, and the Euromillions lottery draw. And yeah, it always seems to be those who can least afford it who blow the most on this crap. I guess its cos if you do win its a quick way to get out of the shit. I tell myself every week that by not getting a ticket for the main draw, wednesday or Euromillions I win £3.50. woohoo  ;D

ozymandias

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 05:38:27 PM »
I saw the same thing when I would play the lotto in NY state.  I allowed myself one dollar for fun at a time.  Or maybe buy 1 scratch ticket just for the helluva it.  BUT, I saw people come in with a wad of tickets and cash that would choke a whale, to play every conceivable number combo that they could think of.  A wad of cash that would have bought me groceries for a week or two in my nursing school days.  I haven't played the lottery in years as I can't see spending a dollar that I could use to buy something like an iced tea or cold beer or a snack, something that would give immediate enjoyment.  AND not make me feel like I just wasted a dollar if I didn't win.

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 07:12:36 PM »
I've only played Scratch Tickets a few times, and Tri State Megabucks once, possibly twice. --It's been so long that I really can't recall. I haven't played since I left Maine, as I think it's essentially a waste of time.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 07:17:14 PM by ASpHole »
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

ozymandias

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 08:27:38 PM »
I've only played Scratch Tickets a few times, and Tri State Megabucks once, possibly twice. --It's been so long that I really can't recall. I haven't played since I left Maine, as I think it's essentially a waste of time.

I heard some pundit say that the lottery was a "Tax on the stupid."   Makes sense to me! :laugh:

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 08:58:48 PM »

I heard some pundit say that the lottery was a "Tax on the stupid."   Makes sense to me! :laugh:

In South Carolina, they're calling it the 'Education Lottery', partly to impress the Bible thumpers that the Lottery is doing good work for the public.  Also, alledgedly the profits for the SC Lottery go to the Dept. of Education, and local school districts. Hard to believe considering that SC is still only slightly above Mississippi as far as the quality of public education is concerned. --And Mississippi is still last as far as that goes.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 10:11:38 PM »
I had a client at my last job who was a multimillionaire and spent a couple hundred a week on powerball. I think if you were to look into it, most of the jackpot winners would turn out to be people who already have too much money.
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline Rabbit From Hell

• Milla's Husband
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Gun or turkey baster? Do you feel lucky, punk?
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:13:11 PM »
Gambling doesn't make sense to me.  Working does, I don't get a lot of money from it, but I have enough to buy anything I really want (if it can be bought). 
You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having buttsex with a fish squirrel, congratulations.

politics and evil
all one and the same
satan hides behind
another name

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 02:46:09 AM »

Unfortunately it also seems to be a tax on the desperate too.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 03:51:17 AM »

In South Carolina, they're calling it the 'Education Lottery', partly to impress the Bible thumpers that the Lottery is doing good work for the public.  Also, alledgedly the profits for the SC Lottery go to the Dept. of Education, and local school districts. Hard to believe considering that SC is still only slightly above Mississippi as far as the quality of public education is concerned. --And Mississippi is still last as far as that goes.

I thought the Bible thumpers didn't approve of education.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 04:24:45 AM »
Never bought a ticket, but
win every now and then. ???

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 06:01:08 AM »
The money in Connecticut is supposed to go to education also but somehow always end up in the general fund  >:(

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 06:03:42 AM »
Or my pocket.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 02:04:53 PM »
One of the things that annoy me about it is I always get stuck behind old people buying all kinds of tickets taking their sweet time while all I want is a drink.

George Bernard Shaw

ozymandias

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 02:07:55 PM »
One of the things that annoy me about it is I always get stuck behind old people buying all kinds of tickets taking their sweet time while all I want is a drink.

QFT :plus:  It's amazing how many times I go to a convenience store just to buy a drink (non-alcoholic) and there's some old geezer buying a bunch of lottery tickets.  I see very few young people playing!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 02:10:04 PM by ozymandias »