Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 367003 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #18270 on: December 20, 2008, 03:50:35 PM »
Thinking about taking a short maths course with the Open University, and then maybe going on to further studies if it works out and doesn't join my ever expanding list of abandoned projects.

I feel lessened somehow and humbled to extremes.

I've been doing all this neat stuff (fractals, acoustics, ballistics, graphics, photography, making bass, trying for music), after copying others' math efforts, but if I was to try to make my own math I might stumble. I fear that I am not up to any of it.

:hide:

I'm not going to be chalking equations for string theory; just doing a short introductory course that hopefully will fill in a few gaps in my rather basic maths education and allow me to gauge how my ability to study has fared in the years since I left uni. :P  To put it in perspective, a full academic year is 120 points, and this course is only worth 10.  There's also a 30 point course that I fancy, but I'm past the registration deadline for it, though I might phone them and see if I can still do it.  If I did the 30 point one, I wouldn't bother with the 10 point one.  I think I could also get partial funding for the 30 point one, which I wouldn't get for the 10 point one unless I did a couple of other 10 point courses along side it.

The 10 point course: http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01Y162
The 30 point course: http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01MU120

I see. I would be OK there.

It is mostly the fast circles I try to run in that make me feel so inadequate. I have to breathe deeply.

I sometimes have to google to remember how to do negative, decimal pointed, six place exponents of polynomial expressions, for instance. I am barely keeping up with these guys, I feel. I know they are trying to be concise ...

I need to actually learn the bases of the math ...

... so I can show how I disagree without a months worth of "lab."
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 03:55:07 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18271 on: December 20, 2008, 05:12:11 PM »
Thinking about taking a short maths course with the Open University, and then maybe going on to further studies if it works out and doesn't join my ever expanding list of abandoned projects.

I feel lessened somehow and humbled to extremes.

I've been doing all this neat stuff (fractals, acoustics, ballistics, graphics, photography, making bass, trying for music), after copying others' math efforts, but if I was to try to make my own math I might stumble. I fear that I am not up to any of it.

:hide:

I'm not going to be chalking equations for string theory; just doing a short introductory course that hopefully will fill in a few gaps in my rather basic maths education and allow me to gauge how my ability to study has fared in the years since I left uni. :P  To put it in perspective, a full academic year is 120 points, and this course is only worth 10.  There's also a 30 point course that I fancy, but I'm past the registration deadline for it, though I might phone them and see if I can still do it.  If I did the 30 point one, I wouldn't bother with the 10 point one.  I think I could also get partial funding for the 30 point one, which I wouldn't get for the 10 point one unless I did a couple of other 10 point courses along side it.

The 10 point course: http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01Y162
The 30 point course: http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/bin/p12.dll?C01MU120

I see. I would be OK there.

It is mostly the fast circles I try to run in that make me feel so inadequate. I have to breathe deeply.

I sometimes have to google to remember how to do negative, decimal pointed, six place exponents of polynomial expressions, for instance. I am barely keeping up with these guys, I feel. I know they are trying to be concise ...

I need to actually learn the bases of the math ...

... so I can show how I disagree without a months worth of "lab."

Sometimes I have to google to remember how to calculate percentages.  Maths has never been a strong subject for me.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18272 on: December 21, 2008, 03:43:59 PM »
Acoustics is where I have been doing the most study for about thirty years (the horticulture (a matter of learning history), photography (dipshit easy math), art (no rules apply, anyway) interests are all negotiable without any thought). Some acousticians are well ahead of me in presenting theory, but they are dumb as rocks in practice, which I know, well. I have much to offer the industry still, but I have to make my thoughts felt in a language for which I have little knowledge, due to my own lack of education. Sometimes, it sucks to be "gifted"  (used for lack of a more flattering way to express obsessive interests), because you think you can help, but you can not express in their language what they have overlooked.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 06:55:12 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18273 on: December 21, 2008, 05:39:27 PM »
Holy hell, purposely invoking depressing memories in order to cry painful crud out of your eye DOES work.  I've been joking about it for like a year but never actually TRIED.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #18274 on: December 21, 2008, 05:45:23 PM »
 :lol:

I'm thinking that these homemade chicken fingers didn't work out quite how I intended.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18275 on: December 21, 2008, 05:58:58 PM »
:lol:

I'm thinking that these homemade chicken fingers didn't work out quite how I intended.

that's because chickens don't have fingers.

oh, how i am laughing.  :laugh:

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18276 on: December 21, 2008, 06:10:21 PM »
Holy hell, purposely invoking depressing memories in order to cry painful crud out of your eye DOES work.  I've been joking about it for like a year but never actually TRIED.

Does it work better than squirting water in your eye?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #18277 on: December 21, 2008, 06:58:55 PM »

Or you could chop onions  :P

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18278 on: December 22, 2008, 04:05:44 AM »

What do you do when all that other painful crud, capable of producing tears, puddles in your heart again as a result of being invoked or provoked.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18279 on: December 22, 2008, 04:08:31 AM »

Thinking what a dumbass I am. I did not need to be at work until six AM, today, but I did not know this until I showed up at four AM, as usual these past few weeks, and called to wake up the sup.

:hahaha:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #18280 on: December 22, 2008, 07:06:58 AM »

Thinking what a dumbass I am. I did not need to be at work until six AM, today, but I did not know this until I showed up at four AM, as usual these past few weeks, and called to wake up the sup.

:hahaha:

I thought I was the only one to do stuff like that :-[
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18281 on: December 24, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »
Fuck everything.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18282 on: December 24, 2008, 10:41:31 AM »
Fuck everything.

Even bicycles, pavements and the city of Spokane?

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18283 on: December 24, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18284 on: December 24, 2008, 10:01:35 PM »
Fuck everything.

Even bicycles, pavements and the city of Spokane?
Whatever floats your boat!

Well, obviously buoys would be included.  That goes without saying.