Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 363147 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #17175 on: June 16, 2008, 10:45:03 AM »
Does she say that she don't know because she genuinely doesn't know, or because she can't (or doesn't want to) explain it? I know the latter to be true with my son, in many cases, and I know I've used it more than once myself.

I'm not sure, but I think that she probably doesn't know.  She is pretty literal, so if she knew but could not explain it, I think she would probably say that instead, since sometimes she gives reasons that make no logical sense to me for other things she has done.

For example, when she snatched her grandmother's glasses once years ago, she said they made her grandma look sick, which made no sense to me.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17176 on: June 16, 2008, 02:27:23 PM »
My son sometimes gets very frustrated and stressed when we ask him something. Clearly he knows the answer but the idea of having to respond overwhelms him.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17177 on: June 16, 2008, 03:56:33 PM »
My son sometimes gets very frustrated and stressed when we ask him something. Clearly he knows the answer but the idea of having to respond overwhelms him.

I get that way too :-[  Sometimes I just can't talk
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17178 on: June 16, 2008, 05:17:37 PM »
I hate being asked "What do you want?" and variations on it as an open ended question. Like "What do you want to do today?" or "What do you want to eat?"

It's much easier to answer something like "Would you rather have spaghetti or curry?" or "Do you want to go to the store today?"
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

ozymandias

« Reply #17179 on: June 16, 2008, 05:41:46 PM »
I hate being asked "What do you want?" and variations on it as an open ended question. Like "What do you want to do today?" or "What do you want to eat?"

It's much easier to answer something like "Would you rather have spaghetti or curry?" or "Do you want to go to the store today?"

Agreed, give me a specific choice, not a question that I will probably guess wrong because the person asking me is thinking something differently.  If I'm going to step off the precipice at least let me know what choices of bottom I'm aiming for! 

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #17180 on: June 16, 2008, 05:52:00 PM »
Is he too young to have mastered the art of waffle yet?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #17181 on: June 16, 2008, 05:54:12 PM »

The top 3 normally get a round of witty sardonism when I can be bothered to try answering them. Though the worst questions tend to involve emotions. "So, what makes you happy". I havent got a quick answer that avoids questions yet for that one...

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17182 on: June 16, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »
LOL, "What makes you happy?" would get a "does not compute!" from me, unless it was one of a select few people in particular circumstances. But that kind of question doesn't get asked a lot in casual conversation, in my experience.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #17183 on: June 16, 2008, 05:59:34 PM »
LOL, "What makes you happy?" would get a "does not compute!" from me, unless it was one of a select few people in particular circumstances. But that kind of question doesn't get asked a lot in casual conversation, in my experience.
Nope it doesnt get asked in that, which is why I dont have an good answer for it yet. But college welfare asked it to which I gave a very vague response... :S

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #17184 on: June 16, 2008, 06:09:51 PM »
Nope it doesnt get asked in that, which is why I dont have an good answer for it yet. But college welfare asked it to which I gave a very vague response... :S

Why did they want to know?  If you said that a yacht would make you happy, would they give you one?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17185 on: June 16, 2008, 06:10:37 PM »

Agreed, give me a specific choice, not a question that I will probably guess wrong because the person asking me is thinking something differently.  If I'm going to step off the precipice at least let me know what choices of bottom I'm aiming for!  
Lol, I motherfucking hate being asked vague questions, or having vague instructions, for that matter.  Is it a dysfunction or an overfunction, though, that I have trouble saying something so general it's not really meaningful?  I have to wonder if people who like to give succinct but at least partially inaccurate answers are able to do so more through apathy or stupididty than talent at simplification.

If asked, look the questioner right in the eye, and say, with a totally striaght face, "Setting kittens on fire."  They won't ask again.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

ozymandias

« Reply #17186 on: June 16, 2008, 06:16:10 PM »

Agreed, give me a specific choice, not a question that I will probably guess wrong because the person asking me is thinking something differently.  If I'm going to step off the precipice at least let me know what choices of bottom I'm aiming for!  
Lol, I motherfucking hate being asked vague questions, or having vague instructions, for that matter.  Is it a dysfunction or an overfunction, though, that I have trouble saying something so general it's not really meaningful?  I have to wonder if people who like to give succinct but at least partially inaccurate answers are able to do so more through apathy or stupididty than talent at simplification.

If asked, look the questioner right in the eye, and say, with a totally striaght face, "Setting kittens on fire."  They won't ask again.

Now that is an answer!   I wish I was that bold to say it!   :P

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17187 on: June 16, 2008, 06:18:45 PM »
I have to wonder if people who like to give succinct but at least partially inaccurate answers are able to do so more through apathy or stupididty than talent at simplification.

Little of both?

:LMAO:
I wish my wits worked that fast IRL! I so have to try that. It would even almost be true.

ozymandias

« Reply #17188 on: June 16, 2008, 06:26:38 PM »

To be fair, in my nursing training I was trained to ask "open ended questions" to develop a good patient profile.  I believe this true in Psychology as well.   Letting or leading the patient/client to supply more info than a direct question, answerable by a simple yes or no answer.  Now, then we separate the professional from the unprofessional.  "What makes you happy?" from some interviewer for me applying for a nursing position would set my alarm bells ringing.  Because I don't suffer fools, and I like to see fools suffer, BUT, a nursing job interviewer would not see the humor in that and might consider me a threat.  If this was asked me by someone I casually knew or was somewhat friendly with, I think I would snort derisively and return the question back at them or say, "Why do you ask."

In private and with people I don't know or trust, I prefer to keep my thoughts to myself.

ozymandias

« Reply #17189 on: June 16, 2008, 06:28:41 PM »
I have to wonder if people who like to give succinct but at least partially inaccurate answers are able to do so more through apathy or stupididty than talent at simplification.

Little of both?

:LMAO:
I wish my wits worked that fast IRL! I so have to try that. It would even almost be true.

Yes, my wits don't always work at lightning speed.  But, then PMS Elle does have open mike Comedic experience.  That would certainly sharpen ones repartee.   ;)