Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 362545 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #17100 on: June 10, 2008, 01:11:28 AM »

I know too many who are in essence killing themselves to stay in a dysfunctional family for the sake of kids, though.

QFT.  and that sort of thing fucks up everybody in the family - spouses, kids and even "peripherals", like friends.

in my experience of kids and families (from twenty years of teaching/counselling etc.), kids are resilient enough to deal with breaks and splits, but can really live without the sham of two people trying to maintain what is essentially a complete lie of a relationship. 

i've had to counsel and/or work with kids whose behaviour has gone fray bentos more often because their parents are staying together and fighting/not speaking etc. than because their parents have split up.  and the counselling the latter generally seems to take a shorter time.  in effect, it's the "big trauma, but over relatively quickly" versus the "insidious, ongoing trauma, which seems to have no end."  i bleieve the damage done is greater in the latter case, too.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17101 on: June 10, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »
I'm not exactly speaking from experience, but I would guess that if both parents are mature about not using the kids as insult-messengers or emotional dumping grounds, the kids are probably a lot better off than if the adults stayed together in a hostile environment for the sake of a warped commitment. That the harm to the kids has more to do with the parents' individual maturity levels than whether or not they stay together.

True.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17102 on: June 10, 2008, 03:47:17 PM »
OMG I'm tired.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17103 on: June 10, 2008, 03:50:54 PM »
OMG I'm tired.

time for bed, said zebedee.

no, not that sort of bed, you crazed beast. 

oh, i dunno know...  :heart:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #17104 on: June 10, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »
OMG I'm tired.

Me, too.

I'm fucking exhausted from work, but I'm going into the pool with the kids if they ever get their swim gear on.

I am prompting them, but they are both in their own little worlds. I really should try harder to pull them out, I suppose.

They will benefit, if I can just break off the taproot growing out of my arse and into the chair.
 ;)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17105 on: June 10, 2008, 03:58:54 PM »
OMG I'm tired.

time for bed, said zebedee.

no, not that sort of bed, you crazed beast. 

oh, i dunno know...  :heart:

:eyebrows:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17106 on: June 10, 2008, 04:34:04 PM »
Dreading the thought of having to work in an attic tomorrow
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

GalileoAce

« Reply #17107 on: June 10, 2008, 08:17:41 PM »
Most houses in Aus don't have attics. Some do, but most don't.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17108 on: June 10, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »
What do they do with the space? Or do they have flat roofs?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

GalileoAce

« Reply #17109 on: June 10, 2008, 08:45:52 PM »
Some have flat roofs, but the space is empty, there's insulation in there, but the space would be inadequate to serve as an attic.

GalileoAce

« Reply #17110 on: June 10, 2008, 08:48:51 PM »
In an attic there's walls (as in inner walls) right?
In aussie houses there's no walls, you can see the roofing tiles or 'tin roof' from the inside.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #17111 on: June 10, 2008, 09:32:07 PM »
Attics here (we call them lofts) don't normally have internal walls, and may or may not have flooring to cover the insulation.  Sometimes they're converted into proper rooms, but space tends to be limited due to the low sloping ceilings.  The previous owner of this house added some internal walls to our loft to create a small room, but access is via an odd wooden ladder in a closet and it's pretty cramped, so we just use it for storage.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17112 on: June 10, 2008, 09:49:36 PM »
It always annoys me when cheap bulk "rich" housing is built over here with huge steeply sloping roofs because they make pretty peaks or something, and then the space inside isn't developed. You could fit whole apartments in some of those roofs.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #17113 on: June 10, 2008, 10:21:39 PM »
More films and programs should have hot female main characters with autistic traits and a penchant for kicking ass.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #17114 on: June 10, 2008, 10:59:01 PM »

I would totally accept them.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.