Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 361726 times)

ozymandias

Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #16935 on: May 25, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »
That and the days of forums is dying out.  People don't want to put up with drama anymore, a lot don't want conflict or constant battling.  IMHO, a forum has a limited life span anyway.  Younger people are more into Blogs and Myspace sites.  DeviantArt allows for self expression and isn't an aspie specific forum, but, it's quite aspie friendly and it's very very busy.

It's not for me. Not professional enough, not a high enough standard of work. I'm still trying to make it in the business world, so I'm concerned with appearances and can't really afford to put energy there.

I do want a creative community or two, though. After four years I'm finally breaking my addiction to the autism community, too. I've gotten hooked on Hatrack (an SF/F critique forum attached to Orson Scott Card's website) in the past week and also thought about joining Holly Lisle's Forward Motion, though the enforced PG-13 standards for fiction are a turnoff. I've been trying and failing to get myself addicted to CGSociety for years, as well as a couple RPG mod communities.

Once upon a time I thought Intensity's premise could be well applied to creative critique (what I'd give for harsh and useful honesty!) but that experiment went badly belly-up. Virtually no one else in this corner of the autism community are interested.

So I'm heading back out into the "real world", armed with all the knowledge of human interaction I've managed to scrabble together here. We'll see how far I get.

That I can understand, it's your future and a livelihood.  As far as "addiction", I'd say thats an accurate statement for how I feel.  I want to spend more time on my guitar forum "Chordie.com", but it seems I keep coming here or the drivel for my fix!   ::)

ozymandias

« Reply #16936 on: May 25, 2008, 01:04:42 PM »
Mine, I think, would just be incomprehensible. None of the points I wished to communicate would get across, except maybe a brief glimpse here or there to the occasional reader.

FWIW, I feel the same way.  But, if an occasional reader gets it or comprehends it, thats fine with me.  I butted heads with a couple of fractalus members in my journal when they couldn't comprehend my "actions" after describing an incident from my youth.  I accept that I am incomprehensible to a lot of people, hell, even my wife serves as a "translator" when we're socializing.  She explains me better than I do!   :laugh:

I have to work at it enough IRL.  And I have developed a bit of a skill at it, but, it's draining to keep at it! 

WoW, my wife does the same thing, btu it always drives me batty. We generally have communication problems right afterwards.

:D

Seriously, though. I hate it!

I let her have the business issues, but when she tries to "translate"  me to other people, I get jumpy!

She doesn't want me to be "jumpy."

Well, to be fair, she rarely does it and only when it seems things are really getting convoluted.  And she is very good at interjecting appropriately and in a way that doesn't make me "jumpy". 

Plus I'v gotten very good at recognizing the "I'v grown three heads" look when I'm talking to people.  So I know enough to translate myself!  Being a nurse has been good training for that!

ozymandias

« Reply #16937 on: May 25, 2008, 01:09:07 PM »
Mine, I think, would just be incomprehensible. None of the points I wished to communicate would get across, except maybe a brief glimpse here or there to the occasional reader.

The loyal and dedicated one may have an advantage, though.
I only have one loyal and dedicated one, though, and I've got a private forum for that. I can't think under what context I'd attract others.

Most of my energies are spent on day-to-day life. Honestly the times of my life are boring, thank the gawdsah!

Not me - I'm still adventure-hungry. Wishing I had a life worth writing about.

Your doing a helluva more than I have done.  Jumping into a job in Scotland, then going down to Texas, sounds like your getting there for adventure.  Of course there's more to adventuring than just travel.  Where we live, family, friends, relationships, etc, can provide quite a few "adventures".   :P

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #16938 on: May 25, 2008, 01:12:32 PM »
Your doing a helluva more than I have done.  Jumping into a job in Scotland, then going down to Texas, sounds like your getting there for adventure.  Of course there's more to adventuring than just travel.  Where we live, family, friends, relationships, etc, can provide quite a few "adventures".   :P

But I don't do anything when I get there. I do okay on the emotional front, but that's difficult to talk about in a way that's interesting to those on the outside. I want to change real, physical things.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

ozymandias

« Reply #16939 on: May 25, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »

But I don't do anything when I get there. I do okay on the emotional front, but that's difficult to talk about in a way that's interesting to those on the outside. I want to change real, physical things.

I don't know what to say about that, except some tired cliches that I'll spare you from.

Btw, I like your sig!   :thumbup:  It's cool.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #16940 on: May 25, 2008, 01:23:04 PM »
I don't know what to say about that, except some tired cliches that I'll spare you from.

:laugh: Much, much appreciated. Thank you Ozy.

Btw, I like your sig!   :thumbup:  It's cool.

Dunno 'bout that. But it's true, so I haven't taken it down quite yet.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16941 on: May 25, 2008, 03:25:12 PM »

what sort of things do you want to change?  specifically?

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #16942 on: May 25, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »

I want to map the bridge between dream and reality in language that others can understand.

Specifically, what that means at the moment is figuring out what verb tense to use for the novel project. Everything finished so far is in present tense, but the overwhelming response I got on Hatrack was that people got so hung up on the verb tense that they weren't willing to look past it to continue reading the story.

I'd posted the first 13 lines of the prologue. (It's all copyright-kosher; sections are emailed back and forth for critique. The idea is that you post your first 13 lines and people tell you whether they'd read on.)

Only one person told me, privately, to fuck them all, that the voice was "very lyrical and very good". But "fuck them all" is a dangerous tactic (though not one I'm necessarily opposed to); I'm sure this same debate will come up when it crosses editors' desks someday. I don't want to lose the immediacy of present tense, but it won't do much good to alienate 90% of readers. I need to do more testing and research before deciding how to continue.

ozymandias

« Reply #16943 on: May 25, 2008, 08:43:37 PM »

I want to map the bridge between dream and reality in language that others can understand.

Specifically, what that means at the moment is figuring out what verb tense to use for the novel project. Everything finished so far is in present tense, but the overwhelming response I got on Hatrack was that people got so hung up on the verb tense that they weren't willing to look past it to continue reading the story.

I'd posted the first 13 lines of the prologue. (It's all copyright-kosher; sections are emailed back and forth for critique. The idea is that you post your first 13 lines and people tell you whether they'd read on.)

Only one person told me, privately, to fuck them all, that the voice was "very lyrical and very good". But "fuck them all" is a dangerous tactic (though not one I'm necessarily opposed to); I'm sure this same debate will come up when it crosses editors' desks someday. I don't want to lose the immediacy of present tense, but it won't do much good to alienate 90% of readers. I need to do more testing and research before deciding how to continue.

I guess what I'm thinking with this last bit, is when do you stop testing and researching and just go for broke and present it to an editor.  Are you sure you'll alienate 90% of readers?  You want an adventure, well there's a possiblity right there.  The majority of me agrees with the concept of "fuck them all", and then there's the minority of me that is cautious and uncertain.  It is a dangerous tactic, yes, but, it all depends upon how much risk your willing to take, but, then again, the feedback might be enlightening.  Leap of faith and all that.

Good luck!

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16944 on: May 26, 2008, 01:06:31 AM »

you might want to consider doing some research into jungian symbolism and archetypal theory, then.  a couple of useful books would be "the hero with a thousand faces" by joseph campbell, which is a chronically dry and dense read, and "the writer's journey" by christopher vogler, which unpacks the campbell, and uses loads of examples from film.  there's also "man and his symbols" by jung himself, which is very accessible.

sounds bananas to me, unless your doing something insane with the tense: there are plenty of novels written in the present tense.  i've written one, and it's probably my most accessible.  can you ask for more specific feedback, cos people being thrown just be the present tense really does sound odd.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16945 on: May 26, 2008, 02:44:06 AM »
Once upon a time I thought Intensity's premise could be well applied to creative critique (what I'd give for harsh and useful honesty!) but that experiment went badly belly-up. Virtually no one else in this corner of the autism community are interested.
I feel a bit pissed off about this in the way I can't give honest criticism although I would like to. The creative part of my brain seems missing. I have read your Dekan writing by the way and wondered what happened after. Are you doing that in installments? I know if I can understand a story and see it in my mind, then I will probably enjoy reading it. It is the subject/genre that I don't understand in yours. :-\ I should have written that in that thread, really.

I still feel new to the whole autism thing. I am on Gestalt as well and I have visited other forums that are autism based. Intensity looks to be the least "autistic" of the autism sites. This place is part of my social life and I want to keep it that way.

When I said it was quiet, it is like that on all other forums I am on as well. I blame the weather. Spring and autumn is a good time to be outside - not too hot or cold.

I have a blog but it is kind of like talking to myself. It is quiet there. A lot of the time my post ideas there are generated by reading things on forums.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #16946 on: May 26, 2008, 05:10:20 AM »
you might want to consider doing some research into jungian symbolism and archetypal theory, then.  a couple of useful books would be "the hero with a thousand faces" by joseph campbell, which is a chronically dry and dense read, and "the writer's journey" by christopher vogler, which unpacks the campbell, and uses loads of examples from film.  there's also "man and his symbols" by jung himself, which is very accessible.

I've done a lot of fairly informal and haphazard research into Jung already (but would he have it any other way?  :P ) I know the hero's journey, at any rate, and the common archetypes. But that's all ground that's been covered before, by other better authors. Another portrayal of the hero journey is nothing new. It's the particular telling of it that becomes important.

Though I'm being presumptious. I don't actually know yet whether there's anything new about what I'm doing. That's why I have to test the project on others. For me at least, talking about it analytically can only do so much good.

sounds bananas to me, unless your doing something insane with the tense: there are plenty of novels written in the present tense.  i've written one, and it's probably my most accessible.  can you ask for more specific feedback, cos people being thrown just be the present tense really does sound odd.

I'm not doing anything insane with the tense - you saw that already. I plan to post another piece for them and see what they say. It switches tense partway through. The thing I'm concerned about is potential readership - it's a tough market and publishers will know that, so even if the people rejecting it are doing it for petty reasons, they'll still be taken into account surely. I suspect it's partly a genre thing, the hardcore F/SF people being strait-laced, which would mean looking for more alternative publishers. What are some of the present tense novels you know?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #16947 on: May 26, 2008, 07:13:50 AM »
FUCK my coffee is hot
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #16948 on: May 26, 2008, 07:56:46 AM »
FUCK my coffee is hot

You can download a patch to remove that now.

http://www.nomorehotcoffee.com/
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #16949 on: May 26, 2008, 08:47:59 AM »
Excited that the Phoenix mars lander made touchdown safely.

Here's a picture of it's foot and the Martian soil.

I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.