Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 371067 times)

ozymandias

Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #12420 on: November 08, 2007, 06:45:06 PM »

Yes, but, the alternative is popping over the counter pain meds long term, which don't do your stomach or Liver much good.  Consider also SAM-e,  S-adenosylmethionine, by "NATURE MADE".  It has also helped in conjunction with the Glucosamine.  It also helps with mood and joint comfort.     It tends to work sooner, but, it was something my wife recommended when I went into one of my mood tailspins.  Of course a better mood can help with pain tolerance.

Also look into specific exercises that you can do to stengthen your back, nothing strenous or high impact.  A good physical therapist can recommend those.  Walking is good, swimming is excellent (that is if you have access to an indoor pool.).  That can help with chronic pain.  I also invested in a good heating pad for those days when I feel really stiff and achy.  Put on some good tunes, a nice glass of your favorite beverage, and a good half hour or even 20 minutes can be helpful.

This may also sound "New Agey", but consider also classes in Yoga or Tai Chi, for gentle workouts and stretching.

The fact is, all this stiffness and "rheumatism" is par for the course as we're getting older, but, at least we have a lot more alternatives then our parents and grandparents did.

Thanks, Ozy. Good advice, overall!

I do try to avoid OTC daily doses. I have been seeing Glucosamine around for years and even done some research already. I have yet to look into SAM-e, though. I will certainly give them a closer look.

I have actually had some decent care for my "old, old" back injury and I generally keep up quite a regimen of stretching and light exercises, specifically recommended for my lower back difficulties.

I may be a little "New Age-ish" myself. I have tried to do some Yoga, and I have worked a few stretches into my routine, but I can only manage the most elementary positions, mainly due to overall inflexibility in all my joints. I took yoga classes years ago and I was called a testosterone pit from being so stiff. :D 

I also do some Tai Chi, every single day, but I could always do more, if I had the guts. I really can't imagine where I would be now, if I had not started Tai Chi about twenty years ago. What I really need is larger blocks of time these days to be able to reach my goals more often, undisturbed. Right now, with this hip thing, I can't do about half of my moves in the proper form.  :grrr:  Hell, before my hip dislocated, I could still sidekick above my head. Pretty fucking good for a fifty two year old, but now I'm just gimpy.

The doc told me today to put heat on my hip. They did an old fashioned X-ray on me, four of them, and I will have to wait for results until tomorrow. They actually did one with my thigh against my chest, tied with a two straps and under pressure. I could barely breathe! They also did one with my leg bent and laid off to the outside as far as it would go, before I felt like screaming.
I thought hip joints were fairly simple things, but I guess not.

The biggest muscle mass is the Gluteal or ass muscles and thats where your hip muscles and joints are buried, of course there's those massive attachments to the back and abdominal muscles.  Believe it or not the key to a healthy back is strong abdominal muscles.  Simple..........guess again! :laugh:  Don't feel bad, I'm in the same boat.   OUCH

Soph

« Reply #12421 on: November 08, 2007, 07:27:12 PM »
I have to get up to go and get some food and I just got into bed

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12422 on: November 08, 2007, 07:40:22 PM »
Eat your bed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Soph

« Reply #12423 on: November 08, 2007, 07:47:20 PM »
I might resort to that after I've finished my crisps and 5 happy hippos.  :P

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12424 on: November 08, 2007, 11:41:30 PM »
I do try to avoid OTC daily doses. I have been seeing Glucosamine around for years and even done some research already. I have yet to look into SAM-e, though. I will certainly give them a closer look.
I was told by the doctor not to take SAM-e because I am already taking antidepressants.

I started taking glucosamine when my knees started stiffening and hurting. There was a difference in two weeks and now my knees don't bother me at all. That stuff can work really well.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Soph

« Reply #12425 on: November 08, 2007, 11:48:57 PM »
I miss Sophie

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12426 on: November 09, 2007, 01:56:29 AM »
why is there rizla glue all over my glasses?

:LMAO:

ozymandias

« Reply #12427 on: November 09, 2007, 07:04:08 AM »

Ah, the joys of a senior moment and doing craftwork!! :laugh:  Mine is usually, "How did that paint stain get THERE????" :P

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12428 on: November 09, 2007, 07:08:11 AM »
I get migraines when I'm stressed and lately I've been getting a lot of them. It's funny because I don't always notice that I am stressed - I'm not very good at knowing what I feel. :-\

Yes, it takes days sometimes for me to figure out where my head is at.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12429 on: November 09, 2007, 07:18:09 AM »
I get migraines when I'm stressed and lately I've been getting a lot of them. It's funny because I don't always notice that I am stressed - I'm not very good at knowing what I feel. :-\

Yes, it takes days sometimes for me to figure out where my head is at.

You have now found yourself in the incomprehensible maze...great line, so true.

(BTW - I just realised, does the guy in the film clip look like an older version of Pea?)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #12430 on: November 09, 2007, 08:27:47 AM »
I might resort to that after I've finished my crisps and 5 happy hippos.  :P

You really ought to give food a try, someday.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #12431 on: November 09, 2007, 10:36:35 AM »
That made my fucking day. Wow. I can't stop laughing.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12432 on: November 09, 2007, 01:42:07 PM »

Ah, the joys of a senior moment and doing craftwork!! :laugh:  Mine is usually, "How did that paint stain get THERE????" :P

well, i wouldn't exactly call it craft work, but it was bloody funny at the time.   8)

:rofl:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #12433 on: November 09, 2007, 04:01:08 PM »
I was told by the doctor not to take SAM-e because I am already taking antidepressants.

I started taking glucosamine when my knees started stiffening and hurting. There was a difference in two weeks and now my knees don't bother me at all. That stuff can work really well.

I'm glad it worked for you. I actually have a huge bottle of Glucosamine that my mom left for me to try. I had almost forgotten about it. I guess I did not feel the need, before.

:asthing:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Soph

« Reply #12434 on: November 10, 2007, 12:48:43 AM »
I'm getting a headache