Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 365063 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #9630 on: June 24, 2007, 04:46:11 PM »
Is that what they say when you call the emergency number? We take all the major credit cards...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9631 on: June 24, 2007, 05:04:54 PM »
/hands odeon another tissue...

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9632 on: June 24, 2007, 05:12:19 PM »
:LMAO:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #9633 on: June 24, 2007, 05:35:57 PM »
I seem to have misplaced my soul at some point.

Hmm.

I thought I heard something screaming, going like a batouttahell northbound on I-91.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9634 on: June 25, 2007, 12:21:30 PM »
:yikes:

Funeral is tomorrow along with the required slapfast trip, so I'm already stressed!!!

BUT, I had a surprise visit from the other side of the family this morning.
(THEY LIVE IN TEXAS - I THOUGHT I WAS SAFE!!!!!)

I could have gone the rest of the week without that! Thankfully, they were "jist passin' th'u' ... "

(I guess I should have put this in the bitchy thread)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:25:42 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9635 on: June 25, 2007, 02:02:36 PM »
Well, fuck me crooked! Has anyone else seen this farce?
(sorry to be so USA-centric, but this is some "majorly fucked up" shit.)

Student Free-Speech Rights Defined (Free speech? What's to define?)
By MARK SHERMAN

The Associated Press

June 25, 2007

The Supreme Court tightened limits on student speech Monday, ruling against a high school student and his 14-foot-long 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' banner.

Schools may prohibit student expression that can be interpreted as advocating drug use, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court.

Joseph Frederick unfurled his homemade sign on a winter morning in 2002, as the Olympic torch made its way through Juneau, Alaska, en route to the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.

Frederick said the banner was a nonsensical message that he first saw on a snowboard. He intended the banner to proclaim his right to say anything at all.

His principal, Deborah Morse, said the phrase was a pro-drug message that had no place at a school-sanctioned event. Frederick denied that he was advocating drug use.

'The message on Frederick's banner is cryptic,' Roberts said. 'But Principal Morse thought the banner would be interpreted by those viewing it as promoting illegal drug use, and that interpretation is plainly a reasonable one.'

This is a breaking news update. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) _ The Supreme Court tightened limits on student speech Monday, ruling against a high school student and his 14-foot-long 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' banner.

Schools may prohibit student expression that can be interpreted as advocating drug use, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote for the court.

Joseph Frederick unfurled his homemade sign on a winter morning in 2002, as the Olympic torch made its way through Juneau, Alaska, en route to the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.

Frederick said the banner was a nonsensical message that he first saw on a snowboard. He intended the banner to proclaim his right to say anything at all.

>>>>>>> Another poster already posted this in the newsgroup so I didn't bother, but it gets close to my feelings on the matter: They are simply setting a precedent for the future, by choosing a case that tugs heart strings. <<<<<<<

There are soooo many cases of schools deliberately trying to suppress students on IMPORTANT issues, yet they NEVER get the chance to find justice. Our society is being run into the cround, and cases like this give more power to schools, NOT LESS! When this case was filed, school lawyers went to court with the intention of making a precedent that would be used later to stop REAL issues from being allowed in schools!!!!

How in hell are our freedoms going to survive this administration?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 02:05:32 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9636 on: June 25, 2007, 02:10:14 PM »
This is the Western values thing that TJ spoke of in another thread, right?

- Albert Einstein

duncvis

« Reply #9637 on: June 25, 2007, 02:10:44 PM »
social conservatives = cunts

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #9638 on: June 25, 2007, 02:14:58 PM »
lol

Bong Hits 4 Jesus

I guess they don't want free speech in public high schools, which is total bullshit (private is a different matter).   I know weed is illegal and everything, but damn these people are retarded.   Advocating drug use is bad mmmkay. 
:P   Internets are super serious.

ozymandias

« Reply #9639 on: June 25, 2007, 02:20:22 PM »
social conservatives = cunts

You forgot, hypocrites!  These are the same people that scream bloody murder about too much or "Big" government or government intrusion in their lives.  Yet turn around and try to legislate "morality" as they see it, in other people's lives.  "1984" was predicted way too soon.

Offline Bookworm

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #9640 on: June 25, 2007, 02:26:09 PM »
Will Henman be able to go on and win first round match tomorow? Very good match.  Pity light stopped play.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9641 on: June 25, 2007, 02:34:15 PM »
"Come on, Tim!"

sorry - in-joke from The Now Show.  :rofl:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9642 on: June 25, 2007, 02:42:05 PM »
lol

Bong Hits 4 Jesus

I guess they don't want free speech in public high schools, which is total bullshit (private is a different matter).   I know weed is illegal and everything, but damn these people are retarded.   Advocating drug use is bad mmmkay. 

This is not about drug use/abuse, Jesus, or free speech - it is a winnable case the Right chose as a shoehorn for future issues to be kept from discussion by students. Nothing more.

Bong Hits 4 Jesus, Dude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9643 on: June 25, 2007, 02:44:37 PM »
This is the Western values thing that TJ spoke of in another thread, right?
Sorry if it was already posted. I had not seen his post.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #9644 on: June 25, 2007, 02:56:28 PM »
lol

Bong Hits 4 Jesus

This is not about drug use/abuse, Jesus, or free speech - it is a winnable case the Right chose as a shoehorn for future issues to be kept from discussion by students. Nothing more.

Bong Hits 4 Jesus, Dude.

Well bong hits refers to pot smoking and that is illegal in this country.    As a pot smoker myself (who has been arrested for possession), even I can see why they would cry about something like this being displayed in public.   Kids that wore T-shirts with offensive phrases were sent home when I went to school, and "Bong Hits" is not something they would allow on a T-shirt here.   These are kids and "Bong Hits 4 Jesus" has nothing to do with any serious issues at all, they are just trying to keep kids from wearing pot leaf shirts and the like.   

The "4 Jesus" part has nothing to do with the statement in my opinion.   They would be just as offended if it suggested everyone take bong hits for Buddha.    Of course this is winnable, because marajuana is illegal and these are minors involved.   I really do not care either way.   Kids not being able to display signs that read Bong Hits 4 Jesus didn't prevent my classes from discussing a myriad of topics.    I was an atheist by the time I was 15 lol.   I got in trouble for distributing the Anarchist's cookbook at school.... I had an essay about the Christian Holocaust on my AOL website (advocated killing of all religious people starting with Chrstians).   This kind of shit would be hell these days... this was back in 1995 or so.   The socially conservative atmosphere I was brought up in did nothing to stop this, I searched and found what I wanted to and needed to know.
:P   Internets are super serious.