Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 371519 times)

Scrapheap

Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #7425 on: April 02, 2007, 10:38:26 PM »
It worked; now my limiter is much more transparent. And toasty rather than crackly, when used with harsher settings. However, when I implemented that excellent way of softening the overshoot peaks, the character of the dynamics shaping was softened in the process; it no longer has quite as much "spank", so to say.

But on the plus side, it is much easier on my ears. Almost stinged with the pumpiest settings before. And mayhaps I can bring some of that character back by further extending the maximum amount of "softness" you can set.

In English please ??

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
« Reply #7426 on: April 02, 2007, 10:53:48 PM »
In English please ??
This should explain the general idea of limiting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

As for what I'm working on - my own brickwall limiter plugin - see below for a screenshot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7427 on: April 02, 2007, 11:21:49 PM »
...meh...

...prepositions...

...tired...
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #7428 on: April 03, 2007, 01:03:10 AM »
Can't sleep. Took nap, need to be up early, but can't sleep.

This has to change.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7429 on: April 03, 2007, 01:09:56 AM »
It worked; now my limiter is much more transparent. And toasty rather than crackly, when used with harsher settings. However, when I implemented that excellent way of softening the overshoot peaks, the character of the dynamics shaping was softened in the process; it no longer has quite as much "spank", so to say.

But on the plus side, it is much easier on my ears. Almost stinged with the pumpiest settings before. And mayhaps I can bring some of that character back by further extending the maximum amount of "softness" you can set.

In English please ??

Yes, he's using terms from a "dictionary" of audio tweaker's GeekSpeek. It resembles English, but don't try to understand it, at first, because it could make you crazy(er). Just nod a lot and don't look confused. If you can apply some of his odd terms to ask about an item he is fussing with, he might turn his back - then, RUN!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 01:11:52 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7430 on: April 03, 2007, 01:27:12 AM »
In English please ??
This should explain the general idea of limiting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

As for what I'm working on - my own brickwall limiter plugin - see below for a screenshot.

This is actually quite fascinating, Fluff!

I have one question for you, though. Have you ever used a tube/valve version of an analog compressor/limiter and if so are you attempting to emulate that type of tonality, in your brickwall? There are still a few of us dinosaurs, who have not succumbed to the digital meteor in our expectations of quality audio. Is this plugin going to keep me listening full-on or make me go into another half-  or quarter-listening phase, where I am so disheartened with the direction of audio, that when I give it a full-on listen, that I give up the fight, again?

Make that two questions ...

So - I understand that compression must be used to maximize the available bandwidth and dynamic range of digital media, but are you planning on an "UNDO" plugin, to expand the dynamic range of the music back to a more realistic character during playback? Putting back what has been taken away is tricky.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 01:33:17 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #7431 on: April 03, 2007, 02:49:35 AM »
Supercalifragilistica....ah bugger, sod it all to hell  :laugh:

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #7432 on: April 03, 2007, 02:55:46 AM »
Supercalifragilistica....ah bugger, sod it all to hell  :laugh:

Julie Andrews, you're not.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #7433 on: April 03, 2007, 04:43:11 AM »
How did I get in the top 3 posters?

Litigious

« Reply #7434 on: April 03, 2007, 05:04:37 AM »
Computer God totally Concocted Frankenstein Manipulation!  :o :insane:

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #7435 on: April 03, 2007, 05:08:08 AM »
snoooze.

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
« Reply #7436 on: April 03, 2007, 05:32:08 AM »
... Have you ever used a tube/valve version of an analog compressor/limiter and if so are you attempting to emulate that type of tonality, in your brickwall? There are still a few of us dinosaurs, who have not succumbed to the digital meteor in our expectations of quality audio. Is this plugin going to keep me listening full-on or make me go into another half-  or quarter-listening phase, where I am so disheartened with the direction of audio, that when I give it a full-on listen, that I give up the fight, again?
Nope; in fact, I have yet to use any other kind of analog one either.

Though there are some relatively good emulations of aspects of tube equipment and other kinds of analog distortions, anything more than a half-arsed effort at such is quite a complex thing and at the time both beyond (I'm still a newbie at DSP, comparatively speaking) and uninteresting to me. I try to make something original based on my own ideas instead.

My limiter, though a brickwall one, is more of a sound-shaping tool than a loudness maximizer, though it can now squeeze things pretty efficiently as well. It is hardly very transparent, unlike most (rather unmusical) ones made with maximum level crunch in mind are, and sounds a little bit warm and fuzzy in its own way due to the relatively mild distortion it adds. On higher softness levels, it can actually make a throughoutly loudness-maximized signal quieter (even following 36dB of input gain), the main limiting stage (which leaves some overshoot for the following saturator and then final stage) using intentionally somewhat oversensitive RMS-detection resulting in a pumpy sound and emphasized, snappy transients. No idea how you'd like it.

So - I understand that compression must be used to maximize the available bandwidth and dynamic range of digital media, but are you planning on an "UNDO" plugin, to expand the dynamic range of the music back to a more realistic character during playback? Putting back what has been taken away is tricky.
Compression (or harsh limiting following it, nowdays. or mayhaps I should say clipping, as that's the new trend for maximum loudness) is hardly technically needed to anywhere near the extent to which it is used, but the loudness war dictate that professional recordings have to be as loud as possible to stand out in comparison to others played. As for "undoing", softer compression can be followed by expanding, the reverse process, but ruthless, distorting squashing means permanent damage. Garbage in, garbage out. You can take out some of the garbage, but only at the cost of something else. Once something is broken, something will always stay broken.

Though for more specific situations there are ways of improving the signal with a much better trade-off. I haven't had much interest in the different kinds of restoration filtering yet, though, and don't know much of the details as of yet either.

Litigious

« Reply #7437 on: April 03, 2007, 05:33:54 AM »
I have no fucking idea what you're talking about.  ???

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #7438 on: April 03, 2007, 07:59:46 AM »
why do foreigners, even europeans, look so odd?
Misunderstood.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7439 on: April 03, 2007, 08:06:01 AM »
why do foreigners, even europeans, look so odd?

[attachment deleted by admin]
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?