Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 369662 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #7530 on: April 06, 2007, 11:19:20 AM »
Why were tha Autism Speaks people consulted during your son's observation? What were they hoping to achieve? ???

They are sort of embedded at the local countywide level, where all the special pre-K kids start out at school. There are two psychologists who work at the "special" school, who brought two other women wearing puzzle logos and driving around with puzzle stickers emblazoned on their cars.
I had no idea who the "smart" psychs were, who were coming to consult, except that they were in charge of multiple schools and, supposedly, had more experience in autism. They are the ones who took it upon themselves to bring in the unqualified  people.

I suppose they are actually qualified to be psychologists, according to their fancy nametags, but for them to think they can look into a classroom for one day and offer guidance to us, is absurd. To begin with, they didn't even ask what measures we were already taking. At first, they acted like we were first-time parents of an autistic child, rather than parents with almost five years experience and study behind us and eight years living with it.

There was a hopeful moment, when I noticed an eye-roll exchange between the school psych and my son's teacher as the logo-ladies made their presentation, advising us to try things that we gave up on, two or three years ago. I have much more confidence in the school psychologist, who is younger, more recently educated, and has daily hands-on experience with my son. I haven't talked to her privately, since, but I have the feeling that whatever she does must follow a protocol, which Autism Speaks has crashed and become involved with. She made sure, previous to the meeting, that I was aware that I have the final say and, whatever is done to change the services we are receiving, we must approve it.

The only thing the logo-ladies mentioned that had any merit at all, was the possibility that we could do a "Peer Awareness" presentation to the whole class. I would consider that for my daughter, but I doubt that it would help the situation with my son. I believe that increased peer awareness would give the bullies, he is dealing with, some new weapons to use. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7531 on: April 06, 2007, 11:26:33 AM »
Why were tha Autism Speaks people consulted during your son's observation? What were they hoping to achieve? ???

I certainly would be pissed if they had been around for Amber's observations.  That would be unethical and a violation of confidentiality! >:(

I don't know if I have confidentiality (or breach of ...)  in my favor, since we asked for additional services and accessing these services is done through the county-wide level of authority. Two of the members at that authority level are members of a private organization, which may or may not be a violation or a conflict of interest. I really don't know. I don't really see how my little pamphlet, describing my rights, addresses this issue.
I'm not even sure how offended I should be.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 11:44:27 AM by Dosanza Bidges »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7532 on: April 06, 2007, 12:21:34 PM »
The fact is that all four of the women, all psychologists, work for the school system. I worded it a little funny at first, sorry. I was told that two were coming to observe, but not about four. The other two, who are also "part of the team" seem nice enough, but I do not think I am the among parents they can help. In their minds, I suppose, I should be happy, since I got four "experts" instead of two, but I was not notified of the organization's involvement at all. Maybe I should be more indignant. I will find out more, in the coming week. As far as I know, there is no official  school connection to the organization.

You are very correct. The stress is high around here. At least I don't feel like I'm in big trouble, going to the princiapal's office, anymore.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 12:25:02 PM by Dosanza Bidges »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7533 on: April 06, 2007, 12:26:00 PM »
I certainly would consider their presence unethical, because they have an agenda. These are the people that want the prenatal tests, these are the people with the commercials clearly labeling us the fastest-growing threat to public health or whatnot... ::)

I can't help it; it's one thing to wish for more help and support, and another thing entirely to somehow say that what we are, and how we are, is a Bad Thing. Luckily, we don't have that kind of movement in Sweden, yet.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7534 on: April 06, 2007, 12:49:02 PM »
Thanks, fellas.
Before I make a fool of myself I will find out more, but I already don't like it. That's why I brought it up. It's just that the Oprah thing reminded me who these people really are. I wanted to confirm my fears, sort of.

I guess what bugs me the most is that they just expanded the scope of the observation and I was not aware, up front. I had to bring them into the meeting to see what they had to offer. They seemed to be out of their league with my kid.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 01:00:20 PM by Dosanza Bidges »

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7535 on: April 06, 2007, 05:32:29 PM »
I hope nobody takes my avatar to mean I'm depressed.  I was actually in a goofy mood when the pic was taken, and am in one now, too.  :)
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

ozymandias

« Reply #7536 on: April 06, 2007, 05:38:32 PM »
I hope nobody takes my avatar to mean I'm depressed.  I was actually in a goofy mood when the pic was taken, and am in one now, too.  :)

I thought that it was just your usual sick, twisted, perverted, warped sense of humor.  But I like that in a person! :green:

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7537 on: April 06, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »

I thought that it was just your usual sick, twisted, perverted, warped sense of humor.  But I like that in a person! :green:

Yay!  Yup, sick, twisted, warped and goofy.  Oh, and it's a pellet gun; it probably would only be able to lobotamize me.

ozymandias

« Reply #7538 on: April 06, 2007, 06:10:22 PM »
Well, at that range I wouldn't want to find out!  I hope you had the safety on!!

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7539 on: April 06, 2007, 07:43:51 PM »
Well, at that range I wouldn't want to find out!  I hope you had the safety on!!

Yes, and it was unloaded, and I didn't pull the trigger.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #7540 on: April 06, 2007, 07:46:17 PM »
Dirt Dawg coined:
the logo-ladies

i love that.  it is a clever way to put it.
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #7541 on: April 06, 2007, 08:15:17 PM »

Yay!  Yup, sick, twisted, warped and goofy.  Oh, and it's a pellet gun; it probably would only be able to lobotamize me.

Ka-fucking funny. + :evillaugh: I may have said this before but your black humour is ecshellent at times. this is one of them. :P

Litigious

« Reply #7542 on: April 07, 2007, 01:39:41 AM »
Crazy Bitch is hot as hell  :eyebrows: and I have to leave this cowardly deadly hangman rope sneak country so I can buy a big gun like that without having to apply a fucking shooting club.  :(

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7543 on: April 07, 2007, 09:25:41 AM »
I've got to stop turning on my friends and getting them all horny for me.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7544 on: April 07, 2007, 10:37:52 AM »

You look a little depressed, actually aiming the pistol at your head, but the tagline makes it hilarious. I second the "hot as helll" comment.

8)