Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 369306 times)

Litigious

Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #6435 on: January 29, 2007, 01:27:57 PM »
I want this stupid festival to be over. :grrr:

Which festival?  ???

The Göteborg Film Festival. I practically live in the projection booth.

OK, I'm not obsessed by films, so I didn't know it was going on. I= :asthing:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6436 on: January 29, 2007, 02:00:23 PM »
Watching this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190074400674&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Hope I can pick it up cheap enough. I've got some extra DDR memory I can beef it up with, and will stick my 80 gig HDD and DVD writer in it.  8)

Just out of curiosity, what would you have bid for this litttle box, noting the fifteen pound shipping charges? There's the typical little flurrry of bidding in the last hour. I'lll bet the second to the last guy was pissed, missing it by ten seconds.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6437 on: January 29, 2007, 03:38:51 PM »
Awwww! Barbaro is euthanized ...

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #6438 on: January 29, 2007, 03:55:41 PM »
Watching this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190074400674&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=009

Hope I can pick it up cheap enough. I've got some extra DDR memory I can beef it up with, and will stick my 80 gig HDD and DVD writer in it.  8)

Just out of curiosity, what would you have bid for this litttle box, noting the fifteen pound shipping charges? There's the typical little flurrry of bidding in the last hour. I'lll bet the second to the last guy was pissed, missing it by ten seconds.

I was a bit put out. :tantrum:

I found a Compaq with a better spec though (2.4gig P4), so I should have that in a few days. Wooyay!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6439 on: January 29, 2007, 04:33:54 PM »
I want this stupid festival to be over. :grrr:

Which festival?  ???

The Göteborg Film Festival. I practically live in the projection booth.

OK, I'm not obsessed by films, so I didn't know it was going on. I= :asthing:

I've worked at the festival for 20 years. I'm not particularly interested in the films,  but I obsess about cinema technology, film projection, and stuff like that.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #6440 on: January 29, 2007, 04:40:58 PM »
That's aspie. I'm obsessed about maps, but just maps with boundaries and/or roads. Plain geographical maps don't interest me one wit.  8)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6441 on: January 29, 2007, 05:01:24 PM »
I'm kind of intrigued by the technology of modern movie soundtracks. I have many movies that I watch on DVD surround, just because I love the sounds. I applaud the movie makers for including microphones buried underground during explosions and so forth, trying for an accurate full range sound. I have an OK sounding movie rig (some people would drool, but I'm just trying to get good sound on everything).

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6442 on: January 29, 2007, 05:32:47 PM »
My movie rig consists of a subwoofer (which I usually bung up with a teatowel, since it can be heard right through the house) and a pair of hissy speakers, or alternatively a set of rubbish headphones. 
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6443 on: January 29, 2007, 05:58:53 PM »
Subsonics play a large part in my enjoyment of certain movies and my bi-amped subwoofer system reflects that, visually, even before you discover how much power I run. The tops are vintage close-field studio monitors.

If you are having problems with your subsonics traveling through the house, you should try a dipole system. Dipoles radiate in a cardiod patttern and on-axis they can be quite powerful, but the rear of the units radiate sound, also. The rear wave is out of phase with the front and cancels the off-axis sound to a large degree. There is forward pressure plus an equal rearward pressure, which sum to a net pressure in the room of zero. It's never perfect, so you can never reach "zero pressure", but there is very little to escape the listening area, compared to a typical monopole.

Linkwitz Lab site if you want to learn some dipole theory. Follow his "Concepts" links and you'll be getting pretty smart about dipoles.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 06:08:11 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #6444 on: January 29, 2007, 08:18:40 PM »
I hope the acupunture helps my grandmother.

Fuck, I am not pedaling to walmart tommorow.  I hope there is good jobs around here more reliable than Mcdonalds.  They appologized for loosing a paycheck on me, and now I have to wait maybe 3 -7days for another one. I did not keep any of the slips with my hours on it, I simply memorized the times  I went in and out over a two week peroid.  I even remember the day of the week it was, but not the numerical date.  That ginkobiloba extract is awesome, and plus my memory is already good when I want to be.  I even took the mega memory home study course by Kevin Trudeau.

I should pick out a book to read, and make more changes in my life.

I wonder how Jessica is doing, she has not even left me one message, and I left plenty for her telling her about how I am doing.  It must have been something like seven days with no one on one communication.

I am cold, and a nice warm shower would be nice.

Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
« Reply #6445 on: January 29, 2007, 08:18:56 PM »
English keyboard layout is both easier on my hands and quicker when coding than the Swedish one. Many of those symbols you insert over and over again are one keypress less away and more conveniently placed. I don't need those three letters anyway, the code being in English.

Graelwyn

« Reply #6446 on: January 30, 2007, 02:59:22 AM »
Christ on a bike, I am tired. I should have got up the first time I woke as I felt better then. This sucks, I hate being so tired.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6447 on: January 30, 2007, 03:21:29 AM »
I've woken up really easily and early the past couple of days.  I think it might be to do with leaving my blinds up, so that I'm exposed to the gradual lightening of the morning (sunrise isn't the right word in Glasgow).  Also, I have to wear a sleeping mask at night, since there's a street light that shines right in my window, and my blinds don't block the light, so it's very light in my room at night, but the mask generally falls off by morning.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6448 on: January 30, 2007, 03:41:03 AM »
We have four stacked JBL subwoofers behind the screen. Subsonics traveling through the auditorium is NOT a problem, it's one of the goals. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6449 on: January 30, 2007, 03:57:43 AM »
Subsonics play a large part in my enjoyment of certain movies and my bi-amped subwoofer system reflects that, visually, even before you discover how much power I run. The tops are vintage close-field studio monitors.

If you are having problems with your subsonics traveling through the house, you should try a dipole system. Dipoles radiate in a cardiod patttern and on-axis they can be quite powerful, but the rear of the units radiate sound, also. The rear wave is out of phase with the front and cancels the off-axis sound to a large degree. There is forward pressure plus an equal rearward pressure, which sum to a net pressure in the room of zero. It's never perfect, so you can never reach "zero pressure", but there is very little to escape the listening area, compared to a typical monopole.

Linkwitz Lab site if you want to learn some dipole theory. Follow his "Concepts" links and you'll be getting pretty smart about dipoles.

Thanks, but it seems rather beyond my price range.  I'm not that much of an audiophile.