Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 372133 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #3990 on: October 28, 2006, 10:30:26 AM »
It seems I am becoming one of the last of the new generation of Real Programmers.

I see what you mean, but if better tools come along, why not make use of them?

So you can lord it over everyone who uses the new tools that you can do it just as good without them.

But can you really do it just as well without the new tools?

For example, my husband works with someone who stubbornly insists on using only the programming language C, even though he was sent to training specifically to learn C++.  It would not be such a big problem, except everyone else in the company programs in C++ and this guy wants them to write some code to interact with his code.  When they have code that is already written in C++ to interact with everyone else's code, he has the unmitigated gall to ask them to rewrite the same code in C  just for him.  He refuses to learn C++ well enough to do it for himself and he is arrogant about it, which ticks them off.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3991 on: October 28, 2006, 10:42:05 AM »
It seems I am becoming one of the last of the new generation of Real Programmers.

So you can lord it over everyone who uses the new tools that you can do it just as good without them.

But can you really do it just as well without the new tools?

For example, my husband works with someone who stubbornly insists on using only the programming language C, even though he was sent to training specifically to learn C++.  It would not be such a big problem, except everyone else in the company programs in C++ and this guy wants them to write some code to interact with his code.  When they have code that is already written in C++ to interact with everyone else's code, he has the unmitigated gall to ask them to rewrite the same code in C  just for him.  He refuses to learn C++ well enough to do it for himself and he is arrogant about it, which ticks them off.

Probably not, or you might be able to do it much much better with the tools.  But that isn't really the point.  The point is to get a cheap ego boost.   ;D
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3992 on: October 28, 2006, 10:56:50 AM »
i am so fuckin pissed offffffffffffffffffffff
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
« Reply #3993 on: October 28, 2006, 10:58:38 AM »

The tools used are not the main point; it is mainly a question of approach to programming.

My languages of choice are (though I have recently began getting into using assembly to improve critical code where it truly matters, which it does all over the place in the case of my realtime DSP code. still a newbie when it comes to such, though) C and C++, of which the former (which the subset of C++ that I prefer using most of the time consists of) is concidered semi-obsolete, and the latter of is gradually losing popularity. The "hardcore" C users are indeed becoming the new Real Programmers. However, if someone made a better language allowing the same kind of coding as C, I wouldn't mind using it.

As languages evolve, so do the coding style, however, adding increasing amount of abstraction at the cost of efficiency. And I absolutely hate any and all kinds of useless overhead. In C, there are few restrictions to what you can do; it is a quite "unsafe" language to develop in if you don't really know what you are doing (small mistakes can often slip undetected into the code, causing problems that are hard to find if you don't know what to look for), but if you do, you can write wonderfully neat and elegant solutions that perform exceptionally well.

I don't mind using the right tool for the job, and a higher-level (more abstracted) approach can be useful in designing highly complex systems that are not performance critical, where additional abstraction serves a good purpose, as well as quickly putting together a quick-and-dirty system of some kind.

However, pretty much everything is being made using increasing levels of abstraction, even where a more direct and more efficient solution would be as manintainable by a skilled programmer.

The priority of efficiency has long since been declining. The solution to performance problems are no longer better code, but more expensive hardware. Generally, around 90% of the time the CPU spends working is wasted on producing heat; through more efficient design and optimization, you can easily bring down this percentage a fair bit. It is also not rare for programs to be over 10 times the size they need to be. The only ones interested in going far to avoid such inefficiency however, are those developing stuff that truly has to be efficient, such as DSP developers, those doing embedded programming, graphics engine programmers, etc.

thepeaguy

« Reply #3994 on: October 28, 2006, 11:03:16 AM »

Why are you pissed off, man?

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3995 on: October 28, 2006, 11:17:27 AM »

* Nomaken bites millapill placatingly. ^_^

Offline Draggon

• L337 H@X0R 0V T3H @$P13 L337
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3996 on: October 28, 2006, 02:48:45 PM »
Is anyone going to be in the chat today?
"run with a pack, not with a herd"

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #3997 on: October 28, 2006, 03:14:56 PM »
Will be in shortly.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3998 on: October 28, 2006, 03:23:50 PM »
I'm a Perl hacker myself, but I don't spend enough time programming anymore so I'm getting rusty.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #3999 on: October 28, 2006, 03:24:45 PM »
I am there already
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4000 on: October 28, 2006, 04:23:47 PM »
Things that bother you never bother me, i feel happy and fine, haha, living in the sunlight, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.  Haven't got alot, i don't need alot, coffee's only a dime, living in the sunlight, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4001 on: October 28, 2006, 05:01:26 PM »
Amarok rocks! ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #4002 on: October 28, 2006, 05:03:24 PM »
There's no way I'm posting what I'm thinking right now  >:D

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4003 on: October 28, 2006, 06:41:07 PM »
Think naughty thoughts!  Think naughty thoughts!

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4004 on: October 29, 2006, 01:30:47 AM »
Yay for naughty thoughts.