Educational

Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 372240 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #29655 on: June 21, 2011, 02:04:52 PM »
Smoothies is a good idea

I like my pepsi so much tho and don't wanna have too many drinks coz of my OCD (obviously will need to pee more frequently lol)

I haven't had anything to eat again today except some cheesy poofs :P

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29656 on: June 21, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »
About doing evil things to the homeowners who changed their minds as I was on the way to work on their house

I know.  you can hire Soph and send him over to do the agreed on work.  For free if they're cancelling.  
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #29657 on: June 21, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »
I see, with the fussy eater point. Your food list up there sounded like a lot of fat, salt, and sugar so thought that might have something to do with it. Still think it might.

How can it be that if I've been the same throughout my life?

Obviously that can make me even more likely to want sugary foods now, but that can't be the reason I like them in the first place

Soph a great way to get fruit inside you is to make smoothies, you can literally bomb your five a day in it and drink it down in one go.
As for vegetables , soups are a good way to get them inside you too.

You could also try making chinese food at home as you seem keen on it.

As for what Jack is saying , my interpretation was that you've gotten used to eating that stuff for so long , that you don't want to eat other stuff , happened to me with instant noodles , hence why I am a stick figure.  :laugh:

That is odd phrasing. :laugh:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #29658 on: June 21, 2011, 04:04:19 PM »
I see, with the fussy eater point. Your food list up there sounded like a lot of fat, salt, and sugar so thought that might have something to do with it. Still think it might.

How can it be that if I've been the same throughout my life?

Obviously that can make me even more likely to want sugary foods now, but that can't be the reason I like them in the first place

Soph a great way to get fruit inside you is to make smoothies, you can literally bomb your five a day in it and drink it down in one go.
As for vegetables , soups are a good way to get them inside you too.

You could also try making chinese food at home as you seem keen on it.

As for what Jack is saying , my interpretation was that you've gotten used to eating that stuff for so long , that you don't want to eat other stuff , happened to me with instant noodles , hence why I am a stick figure.  :laugh:

That is odd phrasing. :laugh:

You have a dirty mind.  :M

Although that is rather funny. :rofl:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29659 on: June 21, 2011, 04:08:11 PM »
Since the Cucumber Incident, I no longer attempt to put fruit and/or vegetable inside myself :M

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #29660 on: June 21, 2011, 04:09:35 PM »
Since the Cucumber Incident, I no longer attempt to put fruit and/or vegetable inside myself :M

:LMAO:

Try pickles.  :zoinks:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #29661 on: June 21, 2011, 04:09:38 PM »

TallyMan does not approve  :thumbdn:

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #29662 on: June 21, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »

TallyMan does not approve  :thumbdn:

TallyMan must be a fan of pickles then.  :P

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29663 on: June 21, 2011, 04:11:52 PM »
I think it was quite irresponsible of him to dismiss my problem without offering to help me when I was clearly in great anal distress

:LMAO:

Try pickles.  :zoinks:

Are they more easily inserted?

I don't want something TOO small though, incase I lose it up there :M

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #29664 on: June 21, 2011, 04:14:09 PM »
I think it was quite irresponsible of him to dismiss my problem without offering to help me when I was clearly in great anal distress

I am SO tempted to go over to WP and make a thread about sticking things up your arse and "great anal distress"  :lol:

I don't want something TOO small though, incase I lose it up there :M

I think pickles are big enough , the Salt'll give you a reaaaaaaaal nice feeling too I imagine.  :zoinks:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29665 on: June 21, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
ok I will try this soon and report back!!

also very fantastic thread idea

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #29666 on: June 21, 2011, 04:27:03 PM »
ok I will try this soon and report back!!

also very fantastic thread idea

Would be funnier to aim to post it when tallyman is online.  :orly:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29667 on: June 21, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
It would be interesting to see if someone could make a post about something like that and see if it actually got taken seriously. like they have genuinely been experimenting and had encountered an ambaraassing poroblem :laugh:

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #29668 on: June 21, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »
It would be interesting to see if someone could make a post about something like that and see if it actually got taken seriously. like they have genuinely been experimenting and had encountered an ambaraassing poroblem :laugh:

Hmm , will have to experiment , I might make a sockpuppet and try it out , to avoid my main getting banned for future uses.  :laugh:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29669 on: June 21, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »
More so than ever before, working professionals are obsessed with comparing their own achievements against those of others, all at their own peril.

By Thomas J. DeLong, guest contributor

FORTUNE -- I have an MBA student who is hyper-competitive and a chronic comparer. Shocking, I know. Let me explain. He approached me the other day complaining that he didn't feel his fellow students were providing him with the intellectual challenge he was seeking. He kept talking about how he wanted to measure his business intelligence against theirs.

I assured him that many students were his intellectual equal, but he persisted in asking me to rank his strategic sense against one student or his analytical acumen against another.  Not once did this budding business leader talk about his interests and aspirations and how his abilities might serve those interests; it was all about his strengths relative to others.

A former student of mine who graduated 10 years ago and has a terrific job at a Fortune 500 company still suffers from this comparison obsession. At least it seemed like a terrific job until she received her alumni newsletter and learned that a fellow alumna, who was in the MBA program with her, had just been named VP at a Fortune 100 company. From that moment on, she could barely hold a conversation without bemoaning her lack of VP and Fortune 100 company status; on more than one occasion, she told others she felt like a failure.

What is going on here? Social relativism is the sociologist's answer; comparing behavior is the psychologist's response. To a certain extent, ambitious professionals have always engaged in what I refer to as reverse Schadenfreude -- being pained by other people's success.

More so than ever before, though, business executives, Wall Street analysts, lawyers, doctors and other professionals are obsessed with comparing their own achievements against those of others. Over the last five years, I have interviewed hundreds of HNAPs (high-need-for-achievement-professionals) about this phenomenon and discovered that comparing has reached almost epidemic proportions. This is bad for individuals and bad for companies -- when you define success based on external rather than internal criteria, you diminish your satisfaction and commitment. First, though, let's examine the factors that have produced social relativism run amok:

The Damoclean Sword of Downsizing. Just about everyone is paranoid about being fired. If we anticipate that 15% of our managerial level might be cut by the next fiscal year, we start thinking in terms of how we compare to others in the group.

Transparency. Yes, increased transparency is a good trend, but it also has a negative component. Everyone knows what everyone else earns. Social networks like Facebook and LinkedIn immediately inform you how former friends and classmates are doing. The more aware you are of what other people are achieving, the more you compare.

Increased performance pressure.  The bar has been raised, sometimes to absurd heights. When people or teams don't make their numbers or when a performance review is less than stellar, we compare reflexively. We start beating ourselves up because our group didn't do as well as another group or our group didn't do as well as we did last year. This pressure fosters a mentality of us-versus-them; we constantly look at what someone else did and measure our own performance against it.

I should note that people also have become very specific in their comparisons. It's not just that a peer seems to be doing better than they are. Instead, executives have distinct categories in which they measure themselves against others, including salary, bonuses, job titles, perks, employer prestige, how much time it takes to reach a particular job/career goal, and publicity (articles written about you and/or your group, team or company).

The problem, of course, is that as we focus myopically and comparatively on these external success criteria, we ignore what is truly important to us. It may be that we care a lot more about working in an area that provides intellectual challenge and opportunities to learn rather than securing a job title. It may be that we're energized by a job that allows us to be creative and take risks than by one that offers a high six-figure salary and a lot of perks. Yet we ignore our internal drivers and let our external drivers lead us.

It's telling that in my 500 interviews of "high-need-to-achieve-professionals" over the past three years, more than 400 of them questioned their own success and brought up the name of at least one other peer who they felt had been more successful than they were.  Many of these individuals are considered among the best and the brightest, yet they are trapped by their comparing reflex.

By trapped, I mean that they invest far too much time and energy on measuring themselves versus others (and far too little time and energy on work that really matters).  By trapped, I also mean that they play it safe. They fear they've fallen behind, and to avoid falling further behind, they are loathe to take any risks. When they start comparing fast and furiously, failure of any kind becomes terrifying. Thus, they do what they do well and eschew the learning, stretching and risk-taking that would help them grow and achieve significant goals.

In my research, I've found that at its worst, comparing behaviors are constant. Many ambitious professionals can't get through a meeting without wondering: "Why did the boss compliment that other person and not me"? Or they hear that a colleague was chosen to attend a leadership development workshop and can't focus on tasks for days, obsessing about why they weren't picked.

Today, we need bold, visionary managers and leaders who are willing to take on stretch assignments, who are capable of saying, "I don't know," and who are eager to learn what they don't know. Unfortunately, we're seeing a growing number of professionals who lack this capacity because they're so anxious about comparing themselves to others. If they could stop comparing so much and start concentrating on their own internal preferences and goals, they and their organizations would be a lot better off for it.

To that end, here are suggestions that can help professionals avoid or extricate themselves from the comparing trap:
 •Make a conscious effort to articulate the story you tell yourself when you feel like you're falling behind others; how much of this story is based on what they've achieved versus your own professional needs and satisfaction?
 •Focus on internal metrics when you start to compare rather than external ones such as salary, bonuses and titles; think about what really provides meaning and fulfillment in work separate from how that work is rewarded by organizations.
 •Project the end result of your comparative thinking; imagine what life would be like if you had everything that the other person had; would that be satisfying or would it just lead to a new round of comparing?
 •Find someone you trust to question your comparative assumptions; talk to a knowledgeable confidante who can point out the counterproductive effects of measuring your own achievements versus others.

This last point is key.  It's one thing when professionals listen only to the voice in their heads telling them they're falling behind.  It's something else entirely when a trusted advisor provides them with an alternative voice that illuminates their flawed thinking.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.