Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 376049 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #21045 on: September 30, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »
Why is it that, in this day and age, with information readily available with the push of a button, there are so many Muslims and Christians in this world?

Because religious beliefs are just that, beliefs? They don't appeal to the rational mind. That's my guess.

And now that I think of it, that is most likely the answer to my question as well. Racism is not about thinking rationally, it's about fear of the unknown and the different.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #21046 on: September 30, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »
I think most religions are disgusting, and I'm no coward. I say that openly.
Most muslims (at least most muslims I know of) are of pakistani/bangladeshi origin here. The ones I've met were born in England though. Either way, I don't care if they're white, asian, purple or stripey. Race means absolutely nothing to me (my own, and other people's)

But see, the thing is, religions were invented by people. So why not just hate people that do stupid shit like trying to control other people and blame it on their religion. I've met religious people who were quite nice people, and I've met religious people who were complete arses. I've even met atheists that were morons.

What this means is, it doesn't matter where you are from. where you were born or what you believe in, a percentage of those people are going to be nice and another percentage are going to be fuckheads.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #21047 on: September 30, 2009, 12:33:13 PM »
IMO us in the West are being manipulated by our so-called leaders and the media into hating Muslims, just as they are being manipulated by their so-called leaders and media into hating us. The sensible ones realize that stereotypes do not equal entire cultures, and evaluate people (as Korzybski suggested) as individuals-as-a-whole rather than as part of a group. Ergo, you don't say semantic nonsense like "All Jews/Muslims/Xtians" are, you evaluate them on a case-by-case basis: Muslim1, Muslim2, etc.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21048 on: September 30, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »
Most muslims (at least most muslims I know of) are of pakistani/bangladeshi origin here. The ones I've met were born in England though. Either way, I don't care if they're white, asian, purple or stripey. Race means absolutely nothing to me (my own, and other people's)

But see, the thing is, religions were invented by people. So why not just hate people that do stupid shit like trying to control other people and blame it on their religion. I've met religious people who were quite nice people, and I've met religious people who were complete arses. I've even met atheists that were morons.

What this means is, it doesn't matter where you are from. where you were born or what you believe in, a percentage of those people are going to be nice and another percentage are going to be fuckheads.

Obviously where you were born doesn't make any difference. But what you believe says something about who you are, not what you are. So it's hardly the same as race.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21049 on: September 30, 2009, 12:35:40 PM »
IMO us in the West are being manipulated by our so-called leaders and the media into hating Muslims, just as they are being manipulated by their so-called leaders and media into hating us. The sensible ones realize that stereotypes do not equal entire cultures, and evaluate people (as Korzybski suggested) as individuals-as-a-whole rather than as part of a group. Ergo, you don't say semantic nonsense like "All Jews/Muslims/Xtians" are, you evaluate them on a case-by-case basis: Muslim1, Muslim2, etc.

QFT
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #21050 on: September 30, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »

Obviously where you were born doesn't make any difference. But what you believe says something about who you are, not what you are. So it's hardly the same as race.

Fine, most religious people this us atheists believe in nothing and have no morals etc. Do you find that to be true?

Blasted

« Reply #21051 on: September 30, 2009, 05:17:29 PM »
I hope I get prescribed with Adderall tomorrow.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21052 on: September 30, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »

Fine, most religious people this us atheists believe in nothing and have no morals etc. Do you find that to be true?

I think that it depends on the specific person who is atheist, just like it depends on the specific person who is Christian or Muslim or Jewish or whatever.

Different people think and believe different things and have their own moral codes that are somewhat independent of their labels.

I say somewhat because I think almost all atheists believe there is no God, but some atheists have a very strong moral code that influences nearly everything they do while others do not. 

I think it is the same way with Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21053 on: October 01, 2009, 12:34:44 AM »
if you're a christian/muslim/jew though, shouldn't you be following the moral code you're indoctrinated with?
atheists don't have that

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21054 on: October 01, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »
absolutelyf fucking gutted  :(

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #21055 on: October 01, 2009, 10:02:28 AM »
if you're a christian/muslim/jew though, shouldn't you be following the moral code you're indoctrinated with?
atheists don't have that
Look up Locke's natural laws.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21056 on: October 01, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »
Where is my last.fm sig? ???

- Albert Einstein

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21057 on: October 01, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »
atheists don't have that
Look up Locke's natural laws.
are you stupid?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21058 on: October 01, 2009, 01:54:38 PM »
Found my last.fm sig. ;D

- Albert Einstein

Blasted

« Reply #21059 on: October 01, 2009, 05:36:30 PM »
Bintska likes tipsy Litski  8)