Author Topic: Post what you're thinking right now.  (Read 365438 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Post what you're thinking right now.
« Reply #17640 on: August 29, 2008, 02:12:14 PM »
I find that, most often, a person's reflex action to sudden "drama" is produced by the proverbial gut. Predicting the reaction is not possible.
I disagree. There are still plenty of patterns and tendencies. Some people cry, some people become disdainful, some people run, some people attack blindly - and a person's not likely to spontaneously change their usual responses. Such changes are usually gradual, or provoked by an obvious cause.
Maybe you are identifying a gift which you are just barely aware and you happen to be more adept in this area, than I am, especially.
Often enough, I misjudge who will step beyond expectations and also misplace confidence in someone who will buckle uselessly under pressure and become a liability.

Even learning much from an observation of gut-reflex is not really practical, because if something even remotely similar happens to "one,"  "one" discovers that "ones" own proverbial gut is made up of varying quantities of differing "stuff."
Depends what "one" is trying to learn. I, for one, ( :P ) find it fascinating to observe people in conflict, not because I'm trying to predict my own response, but because I want to predict and affect others' responses.

My usual attempts to affect others' responses stems from my wanting them to leave me the fuck alone. (which is a little different from what I am doing right now, so bear with me if I don't make sense at first) That is why I so often go overboard and lose my cool. It is difficult to "remove" myself and remain stoical.

Other than that, what is the point?

Can't learn, except by doing. Sorry, no shortcuts to guts!
Agreed - though I actually know one person who vehemently argues the opposite, and I find it fascinating to watch, because while his advice rarely helps those around him, it works extremely well for him personally. By watching others instead of making his own mistakes, he managed to avoid a lot of financial and future-planning blunders, and became successful faster than most.

Although, I can see how certain types of "drama" can be entertaining, until you become bored with watching.
I only find it boring once it's become predictable - hence why the forums were more interesting when I first joined. There was more of a sense of mission, more people trying for common ground, and the momentum of finally discovering what was "wrong" with you all along and finding others like you. I'm still idealistic, so I revise my visions when they're proven false instead of abandoning them.

Revising is good. Never stop.
I'm still enjoying getting to know bits and pieces about people who may understand some of it, even though I have yet to meet anyone who can echo-locate in the dark (or take beer money from bets on blindfolded dart games in bars  :D  Now, THAT'S entertainment.).

I'm a little too self centered in that regard, though. I go off on a tangent talking about something that happened to me, in details that are hardly relevant to anyone else's experience, and it just becomes boring.
I still have to learn that not every story has to start with, "I first became aware that I could hatch out of that eggshell, when ... --- ..."

I need to learn to skip to the chase scene a little better.
 :hahaha:

I'm not sure I can ever be idealistic again, but I like to try.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 02:15:57 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17641 on: August 29, 2008, 02:59:30 PM »
I think it *is* possible to predict some reactions people have. Problem is, most of the time there is no reason to even try.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17642 on: August 29, 2008, 03:09:06 PM »
I think it *is* possible to predict some reactions people have. Problem is, most of the time there is no reason to even try.

you know it's possible - you've seen me do it loads of times.  and there is any number of reasons to do it - getting what you want, any form of therapy, etc., etc., etc.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17643 on: August 29, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »
But most people's reactions are irrelevant. That's the point--you can predict them but what's the point? You're not going to actually care, anyway.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #17644 on: August 29, 2008, 03:45:40 PM »
I was actually talking about real life "drama,"  though, not internet squabbles, which ARE easy to predict, most of the time.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #17645 on: August 29, 2008, 03:47:04 PM »
I was actually talking about real life "drama,"  though, not internet squabbles, which ARE easy to predict, most of the time.

QFT  :plus:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17646 on: August 29, 2008, 03:47:18 PM »

Me too, Dawg.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17647 on: August 29, 2008, 03:53:28 PM »
About what to do tommrow
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17648 on: August 29, 2008, 05:11:47 PM »
Thinking about backing up the forum.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #17649 on: August 29, 2008, 05:15:33 PM »
Often enough, I misjudge who will step beyond expectations and also misplace confidence in someone who will buckle uselessly under pressure and become a liability.
I solve that one by not putting too much confidence in anybody. I'm not sure that's any better.  :laugh:

My usual attempts to affect others' responses stems from my wanting them to leave me the fuck alone. (which is a little different from what I am doing right now, so bear with me if I don't make sense at first) That is why I so often go overboard and lose my cool. It is difficult to "remove" myself and remain stoical.

Other than that, what is the point?

I have things I want to accomplish in the world. Most of them involve people somehow. Some of them involve high stress. For example, for a year I was heavily involved in a startup publishing business. It died of collective angst, not before releasing a fair number of chapbooks and getting me my first professional illustration credits, but nonetheless it could have been far more than it was. One of the main missing resources that could have prevented its demise was the ability to translate strong theoretical business sense (which we had, in the form of a highly intelligent strategist and an industry veteran) into the actions of a small group of people each with their own messy personal dramas.

Hence, I seek to navigate the messiness and tap the strengths that may lie behind it.

I'm a little too self centered in that regard, though. I go off on a tangent talking about something that happened to me, in details that are hardly relevant to anyone else's experience, and it just becomes boring.
I still have to learn that not every story has to start with, "I first became aware that I could hatch out of that eggshell, when ... --- ..."

I need to learn to skip to the chase scene a little better.
 :hahaha:

If I talked more, I would make the same error. I still need to learn how to tell stories in such a way that people can relate to them and find their own merits in them. Soapboxes are too fricking tempting.

I'm not sure I can ever be idealistic again, but I like to try.
;D
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Blasted

« Reply #17650 on: August 30, 2008, 07:21:57 AM »
Put a load of chips in the oven and can't wait until they're done.  I love today, an empty house, loads of films and chips.  Heaven  :green:

If only we didn't run out of ketchup and vinegar  :-\

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17651 on: August 30, 2008, 08:49:25 AM »
Raining so no tag sales today :'(

George Bernard Shaw

Blasted

« Reply #17652 on: August 30, 2008, 11:32:54 AM »
I am borrrrrrrrred!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17653 on: August 31, 2008, 06:57:41 PM »
not much

George Bernard Shaw

ozymandias

« Reply #17654 on: August 31, 2008, 07:18:15 PM »
The comfort of my bed!