Educational

Author Topic: AS and children  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
AS and children
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:24:02 PM »
Does anyone know the statistics on how likely it is for someone with AS to have a child on the spectrum?  Assuming AS/NT parents.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: AS and children
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:49:43 PM »
I don't know the stats but I am married to an NT and have three kids one on the spectrum another most likely on and the third pretty much NT with a few characteristics 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 08:18:06 PM »
I'm curious about this as well, but thus far haven't come up with much hard data on the topic.  Just thinking about the families I happen to know, I'd venture a guess of around 20-25%.  Higher than the general population, for sure, but far from guaranteed.

My family:  I have a birth son who is NT with a few potentially AS characteristics, daughter is completely NT, both with an NT biological father.  Mordok and I's son is autistic. (skewing the sample there though because we're both AS). 

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 08:20:02 PM »
 :plus: to you Parts for loving your dog so much.
 :plus: to you Kiriana for replying.

Sorry, getting drunk here and I always spread the love when I'm drunk.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 08:20:42 PM »
it has got to be somewhat genetic.  isn't everything?
Misunderstood.

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 08:26:24 PM »

Yeah, I think it is largely genetic,  but probably not as simple and straightforward as something like blue eyes vs brown eyes.  Which may mean my 20-25% estimate may be a litle high.  Hmm.....  Really interesting topic, to me anyway!

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 08:36:52 PM »

Yeah, I think it is largely genetic,  but probably not as simple and straightforward as something like blue eyes vs brown eyes.  Which may mean my 20-25% estimate may be a litle high.  Hmm.....  Really interesting topic, to me anyway!

The chances of having an AS kid could be increased by AS parents tending to be clumsy and thus dropping their kids on their heads more often than NT parents.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 10:29:39 PM »
Does anyone know the statistics on how likely it is for someone with AS to have a child on the spectrum?  Assuming AS/NT parents.

Sorry, I don't know, and I have looked for this information before.

I did find this:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers_pr.html

The one thing that almost all researchers in the field agree on is that genetic predisposition plays a crucial role in laying the neurological foundations of autism in most cases. Studies have shown that if one identical twin is autistic, there's a 90 percent chance that the other twin will also have the disorder. If parents have had one autistic child, the risk of their second child being autistic rises from 1 in 500 to 1 in 20. After two children with the disorder, the sobering odds are 1 in 3.

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 10:47:27 PM »
I would have asked this same thing, eventually. Everyone who has kids should reply and we'll get something of an idea.
!!Super atomic enema!!

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 04:07:57 AM »
I would have asked this same thing, eventually. Everyone who has kids should reply and we'll get something of an idea.

I don't know what the stats are but we have 3 kids- our eldest has AS, our daughter doesn't but she does have some traits, and we're pretty certain our youngest has AS too (we're still waiting for an appointment with the child development team to get a DX).

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 09:04:46 AM »
it's pretty likely to have spectrum kids. it seems many aspie parents have more spectrum kids tha NT kids. look at the Jacksons for example. The Magnificent 7 is a movie based on Jacqui Jackson who has 7 kids on the spectrum.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0471019/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/magnificent7/
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 09:07:25 AM »

The one thing that almost all researchers in the field agree on is that genetic predisposition plays a crucial role in laying the neurological foundations of autism in most cases. Studies have shown that if one identical twin is autistic, there's a 90 percent chance that the other twin will also have the disorder. If parents have had one autistic child, the risk of their second child being autistic rises from 1 in 500 to 1 in 20. After two children with the disorder, the sobering odds are 1 in 3.

i hate how they say risk. >:(
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 02:02:25 PM »

I know, but some people see it in those terms. 

Some people won't even try for another child if they have two autistic children, maybe because autistic children can be more difficult to take care of than typical children.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 02:04:40 PM »

Some people won't even try for another child if they have two autistic children, maybe because autistic children can be more difficult to take care of than typical children.
And some adopt. Normally fucked up children...

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 02:07:56 PM »

And some adopt. Normally fucked up children...

I know one woman who adopted a son with AS and a daughter with Bipolar Disorder.  She is a really special person.  They are lucky to have her for a mother.