Author Topic: China is terrorizing our children  (Read 537 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
China is terrorizing our children
« on: August 15, 2007, 06:18:24 PM »
August 14, 2007
Mattel Said to Plan 2nd Toy Recall
By DAVID BARBOZA
SHANGHAI, Aug. 14 — Mattel, the world’s largest toy company, is expected as early as today to announce its second major recall in a month of defective toys that were made in China, according to people who work with the company.

In a further dramatic twist, the Chinese authorities confirmed that one of the owners of the company that supplied Mattel with the toys involved in its first recall earlier this month apparently committed suicide.

Zhang Shuhong, one of the owners of Lee Der Industrial, a contract manufacturer based in southern China, apparently killed himself last Saturday by hanging himself in a factory warehouse in the city of Foshan, according to a report in China’s state-controlled media. The authorities said they had begun an investigation into the suspected suicide.

The latest recall would be another major embarrassment for Mattel. Among the products that may be recalled are die-cast toy cars, according to the people close to Mattel, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

A spokeswoman for Mattel, which is based in El Segundo, Calif., could not be reached for comment early today. Reports about a possible second recall this month were first reported by The Associated Press.

Mattel has a reputation for being one of the most conscientious toy makers and is known for having sophisticated inspection and testing systems at many of its China facilities to guard against flawed, defective or tainted products.

But the latest recall could feed growing international worries about the quality and safety of consumer products made in China.

It would follow a series of other recalls by manufacturers this year involving a wide range of products from contaminated pet food ingredients to defective tires to tainted Chinese-made toothpaste.

Earlier this month, Mattel recalled over one million toys, including Sesame Street and Dora the Explorer products made by its Fisher-Price unit because they were contaminated with excessive levels of lead paint, which if ingested could pose health hazards to children.

Mattel said Lee Der Industrial was responsible for producing the toys that contained excessive levels of lead paint.

Mattel stopped accepting goods from the contractor, and last week the Chinese government revoked Lee Der’s export license.

A spokesman for the Guangdong Public Security Bureau in southern China today confirmed that the police were investigating the apparent suicide of Zhang Shuhong, one of the company’s owners.

Xiao Bindong, a spokesman for the bureau, said: “It is now confirmed that Mr. Zhang Shuhong committed suicide on the afternoon of August 11.”

China, however, insists the vast majority of its exports are safe and of high quality. Many international toy industry officials also say that while the recalls are serious, the problem with defective toys made in China is being grossly exaggerated.

“There are something like 30,000 different toy products on sale at any one time,” says Ian J. Anderson, the Asia Pacific director at SGS, a consumer testing company that works with Mattel and other toy makers in China. “How many items have been recalled lately? Anyone can have something go awry. It’s difficult to stay on top of everything.”

But United States congressmen and consumer product safety officials from the European Union have expressed growing concern in recent months over the number of defective and tainted products coming from China, which makes most of the world’s toys.

Last month, a pair of senators from the United States even proposed new legislation that sought to ban imported children’s products from China unless they were first certified as safe.

Responding to such criticism, the Chinese government says it is now stepping up its inspection of toys and other products and that it is cracking down on companies that act illegally.

In revoking the export license of Lee Der Industrial, which made the tainted Mattel toys, Chinese regulators said they found the company had used a “fake lead-free” paint pigment that came from the company’s paint supplier.

At the time of the recall, Mattel officials said the Lee Der facility had testing equipment on site that should have detected lead paint, and that the company had been a reliable supplier for at least 15 years.

Mattel has not yet explained what went wrong. But Monday, the company issued a brief statement saying the company was saddened to hear about the death of the Lee Der official.

The recalls, however, underscore the problems facing toy makers and other companies doing business in China. China has become a manufacturing powerhouse by depending on cheap labor and savvy cost cutting measures.

But sometimes, under pressure to cut costs or win contracts, Chinese manufacturers have cut corners, experts here say, and chosen to use cheap and illegal substitutes.

In June, for instance, another major toy company, the RC2 Corporation of Illinois, recalled 1.5 million popular Thomas & Friends wooden toy railway sets because for at least two years they were being coated with excessive levels of lead paint, even though the manufacturers were aware of restrictions on lead paint, RC2 officials later said.

In case after case involving Chinese made products that were recalled this year, there has been evidence that many Chinese manufacturers intentionally added cheap or illegal substances to save money.

While lead paint has long been restricted from being used in toys made for sale in the United States, Europe and even China, it remains much cheaper than lead-free paint. Companies here say lead paint is sometimes preferred because it offers richer colors, is easier to apply and easier to dry. And so some companies continued to blend it into paint supplies, according to toy consultants.

High levels of lead have also been found in Chinese made jewelry and trinkets, posing serious health hazards, according to American officials.

Misunderstood.

richard

Re: China is terrorizing our children
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:19:34 PM »
china is ghey the second gheyest country right after africa and all of the middle east

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 06:20:57 PM »
this is just the latest in a series of recalls from defective and hazardous products made by slave labour in china.
i believe that china is terrorizing us through their products.  i believe that they are trying to take over the world.  why else would they also resort to killing our pets?

fucking sneaky chinese.
Misunderstood.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 06:25:55 PM »
The US is screwed now, they owe china so much effectively that they can no longer opt out of the trade with China.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 06:27:03 PM »
china is ghey the second gheyest country right after africa and all of the middle east

:LMAO:

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 06:32:41 PM »

:LMAO:
Damn, I missed that blooper of his.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 06:35:12 PM »
The US is screwed now, they owe china so much effectively that they can no longer opt out of the trade with China.
west coast longshoreman are screwed if america opts out of the trade agreements with china.  that is what i am.  but, then there may be some decent manufacturing jobs returning to the US.
Misunderstood.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »
west coast longshoreman are screwed if america opts out of the trade agreements with china.  that is what i am.  but, then there may be some decent manufacturing jobs returning to the US.
Its the reserve currency that China holds that worries me more. The Chinese anytime could start giving away their dollars in bulk, and send the US economy into a bad recession. The chance of the US opting out is almost zero, so i wouldnt worry yourself at all tbh.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 06:54:00 PM »

That is if there are people left to do the manufacturing.  The average age of the skilled machinist or anyone who works with their hands is going up.  Not many people go into skilled trades anymore all people want to do today is work in offices.  If China really wanted to screw us they'd wait another twenty years till they are almost all gone.  This shit happening now is just another example of how going with the low bidder doesn't always pay how I wish people would learn this :grrr:   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 06:55:31 AM »

I have read about a Chinese plywood manufacturing plant that sits in the Pacific. The article talked about the rising cost of building and manufacturing things by the "lazy hands of Americans" and fighting the over-regulated safety standards. It is cheaper to cut trees down in the northwest, load them on a ship, take them to this Chinese floating plant, make the various wood products and ship them back, than to build and run a comparable facility in the states.

I suppose, with your manufacturing plant floating in the Pacific, you don't have to worry about the EPA, OSHA, FTC, labor unions, etc.

I also read that the "man in charge" at the plant, where the re-called Mattel products were manufactured, committed suicide in a fine Chinese tradition, which is observed by disgraced executives. Maybe that's our problem. When a CEO is ousted in this country, he usually gets a severance package in the millions of dollars. Maybe our severance packages should include severing limbs for failing the citizens who he represents. Might turn some things around a bit if the big money guys had more invested than their bank accounts.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 07:35:30 PM »

I have read about a Chinese plywood manufacturing plant that sits in the Pacific. The article talked about the rising cost of building and manufacturing things by the "lazy hands of Americans" and fighting the over-regulated safety standards. It is cheaper to cut trees down in the northwest, load them on a ship, take them to this Chinese floating plant, make the various wood products and ship them back, than to build and run a comparable facility in the states.

I suppose, with your manufacturing plant floating in the Pacific, you don't have to worry about the EPA, OSHA, FTC, labor unions, etc.

I also read that the "man in charge" at the plant, where the re-called Mattel products were manufactured, committed suicide in a fine Chinese tradition, which is observed by disgraced executives. Maybe that's our problem. When a CEO is ousted in this country, he usually gets a severance package in the millions of dollars. Maybe our severance packages should include severing limbs for failing the citizens who he represents. Might turn some things around a bit if the big money guys had more invested than their bank accounts.

I don't think they care for any regulations on their mainland either.  Life has far less value to them than in the West.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 06:39:20 PM »
More toys being recalled in the UK due to lead.

Hamleys pulls toys over lead fear
Hamleys has removed two child jewellery products found to contain dangerous levels of lead from its shelves.

The toy store said it had launched an inquiry into why the products, imported from China, were not detected in its quality assurance process.

Hamleys said it took customer safety "extremely seriously" after a Sunday Times investigation revealed the fault.

It comes days after US toy giant Mattel was forced to recall 18m products made in China amid fears over lead levels.

'Reviewing processes'

A Hamleys spokeswoman said: "Immediate action was obviously taken to remove these dangerous products from our shops as soon as we became aware of the problem.

"We would never ever knowingly sell toxic jewellery to customers and take the health and safety of our customers extremely seriously.

"We are urgently reviewing our quality assurance process."

The Sunday Times found a £4.99 bracelet with heart shapes sold in Hamleys' Regent Street shop in London contained more than 93% lead.

A P-shaped pendant, priced £7.99, was found to have 27% lead.

International recall

The recommended international safety limit is 0.06%, while the UK limit is 0.1%.

High levels of lead can cause brain damage and even kill.

Concerns over the safety of Chinese-made children's toys were raised last week after US toymaker Mattel recalled more than 18 million products worldwide because of fears over paint containing high levels of lead.

It was the second such recall in two weeks.

Although lead content of toys is strictly controlled in the UK, there are no regulations stipulating levels in children's jewellery.

Tests by the newspaper also found high levels of lead in other children's products sold at a number of other outlets.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 06:53:32 PM »
New York state is forming a task force to check stores and make sure products are being removed.

INTAI, China - Rescuers raced Saturday to pump water out of two coal mines flooded by a rain-swollen river in eastern China, where 181 miners were missing and feared dead.
ADVERTISEMENT

Water levels were rising, work areas were submerged and the miners "had only slim chances of survival," the official Xinhua News Agency reported, citing Wang Ziqi, director of Shandong province's coal mine safety agency.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070818/ap_on_re_as/china_mine_flood;_ylt=Aso76q2tzG5byiRDV_4.4.BvaA8F
Yeah you can see they are concerned about safety here it's big news for just six missing

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 06:00:23 AM »
Must be nice for the Chinese to know that they're not the only country with shit for safety standards.

BEIJING, Aug 15 (Reuters) - China's quality watchdog has banned the import of children's cookies produced by PT. Arnott's Indonesia, a subsidiary of U.S. food giant Campbell Soup Company (CPB.N: Quote, Profile, Research), after tests detected excessive levels of aluminium, the watchdog said.

The move comes as China's exports are itself placed under heightened international scrutiny following the recall of millions of toys made for Mattel because of excessive lead and unsafe magnets, and a series of scandals involving pet food, toothpaste and tyres.

Some 1.6 tonnes (3,530 pounds) of biscuits from Indonesia in several flavours of a children's brand were found with aluminium levels about three times above the standard, China's General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ) said on its Web site on Wednesday.

"AQSIQ has already reported the situation to Indonesia and requested that appropriate measures be taken," the notice said.

Aluminium consumed in high amounts over long periods of time has been linked to memory loss, central nervous system damage and dementia.

Staff at Campbell Soup offices in Shanghai and Hong Kong contacted by Reuters by telephone said relevant departments were unavailable to provide comment.

Earlier in the month, China banned imports of fish and other aquatic products from Indonesia after finding heavy metals, including cadmium and mercury, and drug residues in samples.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Scrapheap

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 05:10:07 PM »
China need to start building more nukes. That wat they can pollute themselves into extinction.  ;D