Educational

Author Topic: watching the same shit over and over again  (Read 492 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
watching the same shit over and over again
« on: August 08, 2007, 09:17:46 PM »
I've got cable only for the high-speed internet connection.  I don't even pay the $11 it would cost for basic channels, so I don't watch much TV.  I do have a reasonably-sized collection of DVDs, though.  Usually, I can't sit through a whole movie before I zone out and doze off.  So, I resort to those DVDs that are compilations of short films.  The four that get watched the most are excerpts from TromaDance (That's Troma's answer to Sundance.  www.troma.com).  I have a handful of favorites on each of the four volumes, and find myself wanting to watch these few over and over again instead of pull out something that hasn't been watched in a while.  And these are...

vol. 1: 
- Family Dinner (one of those sketch comedy routines where the actors put on wigs and talk like they're constipated)
- H.R. Pukenshite
- Harry Knuckles (apparently by Canadians who wish they were Mexican, filmed entirely with Bolex, so actually it looks different and cool)

vol. 2:
- Arrowhead Beer (beer commercial spoofs)
- Cheese Theatre (sketch comedy, Bronx-style)
- 30 Minutes or Less (adventures in pizza delivery)
- Tasty (a horny Asian chick buys produce and has a little fun with it before cooking it)

vol. 3:
- Dribble (an aging has-been basketball player living in a trailer)
- Feast of Fools (what happens when the clowns go berzerk)
- Morgatorium of Mystery (a freakshow, made to look as if filmed some time circa 1900)

vol. 4:
- Passion of the Johnson (a private investigator obsessed with mustard)
- Emily (every girl's fear, her beau's mom doesn't like her)
- Kingdom Rebels (animation, about dope-head space aliens)
- Faberville (bizarre method of newspaper delivery, not quite sure how to explain past that)
- Lick-It Man (a superhero, popular with the ladies.  Why?  Let the title serve as a hint.)

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else here does the same when watching stuff, or is familiar with the short films listed above.  What do you like to watch over and over again?

richard

Re: watching the same shit over and over again
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:45:01 PM »
i'll tell you one thing, cable is fucking bullshit for the price, get outta here with that!!./\

i'd get direct tv but im extremely lazy, and dont want to phone up the direct tv guy :laugh:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 08:44:46 AM »
First thing that pops into mind when seeing Troma is:   TOXIC AVENGER!   Damn that movie was ridiculous, I can't say I have watched anything else put out by them though.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 07:40:36 PM »
Well, there's more to Troma than just Toxic Avenger.  I've got three of the four Toxie movies, but I rarely watch them.  Troma gets stuff from all kinds of people, so you might try randomly browsing their catalog.

That's the beauty of it.  If you get the urge to make a cheesy blood-and-guts flick with a poor excuse for a plot, if you even bother with that, at least there's a company that might distribute it.  They've even got a course on making your own movie, both an hour lecture by Lloyd Kauffman (caught it at DragonCon one year), and also a book-and-DVD set.  The book has recipies for fake bodily fluids that you can make and use as props.

I'm still waiting for a chance to see their newest product, Poultrygeist.  If it doesn't have a screening in my area, I figure I'll get my hands on the DVD sooner or later.

Offline Hiphop Grandma

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 07:59:37 PM »
Toxic Avenger is probably one of their best movies; some of their older films have some catchy titles: Surfer Nazis Must Die, and Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town. I bought those movies based on the title alone; they're terrible movies though.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 05:56:59 PM »
It's not so much the overall product with Troma movies, it's little nuggets in the details.  For example, I've got the DVD of Redneck Zombies.  Just plotless blood-and-gore about rednecks accidentally using toxic waste when making moonshine, but there are little funny moments.  Like, instead of the redneck town having an ice cream man, it has a tobacco man, who sells tobacco products out of a truck.  That might not sound funny but it's in the way it's presented.

And then sometimes it's the concept.  Like with Rabid Grannies.  Very predictable, but just the idea of grannies turning into vicious, killer monsters is darkly funny.