Educational

Author Topic: Which world do you live in?  (Read 732 times)

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Which world do you live in?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 10:26:15 PM »
I like science, but I think it's as flawed as any other subject. Not sure if I believe in levitation and shooting lightning from hands though.

What's your definition of flawed?

Not always accurate.

Scrapheap

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 10:33:25 PM »
I like science, but I think it's as flawed as any other subject. Not sure if I believe in levitation and shooting lightning from hands though.

What's your definition of flawed?

Not always accurate.

The thing to understand about science is that the "truth" that it gives us is only provisional in nature. Anything can be disproven give sufficient evidence.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
I ask this question because many people genuinely believe that science doesn't work, and that they can levitate and shoot lightning from their hands if they want to enough.

Many? Or just on here?

I do mostly believe that reality
is moldable. I'm not convinced
what the extent is though, but
I lean towards more so than even
what you state.

Many in general, some of which are here.  There are a lot of people who think that reality cares about what underwear they have on, or will oblige them if they say the right prayers, or that having happy thoughts will change the universe in their favour.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 09:14:19 AM »
They might think that or they might simply hope that it is true.   It isn't on the level of thinking for most, it is faith which requires no proof whatsoever.   Coincidence isn't taken into account when someone searches for ways to justify their faith in prayer for example.   The problem is that faith shouldn't be justified, it is a way of being insane or delusional to some people.   

Either way it never hurts to pray for someone and it is a genuine way to feel compassion for someone when it is difficult to do so normally.   Prayer is basically meditation anyways attached to a conversation with something specific like a god.   When some people pray it can put them in an almost asleep dreamlike state where they are really relaxed.

Nothing cares about what underwear you have on, it is nonsensical.   Football teams praying for victory is stupid as fuck.   IMO praying for stuff that is meaningless in the grand scheme of things is a waste.   When someone prays for something stupid and meaningless, God probably listens then laughs.   Whether God does anything about it is another matter entirely. 

The whole shape the world around me through the power of my will thing is fun to think about.   I have yet to see someone myself really achieve anything close to using their willpower to do the scientifically impossible.   I have seen prayers answered that were against huge odds, but you can chalk that up to coincidence somewhat.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2007, 11:07:30 AM »
or that having happy thoughts will change the universe in their favour.

Well, to be fair, there have been studies that show a correlation between optimism and success.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 11:09:05 AM »
or that having happy thoughts will change the universe in their favour.

Well, to be fair, there have been studies that show a correlation between optimism and success.

But only because people's optimism alters how they interact with the world; it doesn't influence the world directly.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?