Educational

Author Topic: Question for Scandinavians.  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: Question for Scandinavians.
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2007, 03:58:49 PM »
The other thing that would annoy me is that too many kids are too dim for me to like them.

People tend to be that way.
I'd suggest research - but even
there, too many are just fixated
on their one field, and pretty mundane
otherwise.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2007, 04:00:16 PM »
The other thing that would annoy me is that too many kids are too dim for me to like them.

People tend to be that way.
I'd suggest research - but even
there, too many are just fixated
on their one field, and pretty mundane
otherwise.
Hmm, i dont think uni students would be too bad to lecture at the right uni, i am just not sure what I would research. As for the dim kids, if i end up having to deal with them, they are going straight under hypnosis, end of.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2007, 04:20:04 PM »
I have A-levels in Sociology, history, human biology and psychology.   I only did 2 at school because I did a part work placement as a class room assistant so I'd have some experience to help me get a place on the teaching degree.  Now I'm a full time parent- my youngest was 4 yesterday.
A lot of things put me off teaching but my main gripe was all the best practice bullshit, some of it didn't make logical sense to me and I knew it would annoy the fuck out of me.
I think being a full time parent would scare the shit out me, and id get annoyed too easily. I would probably turn the best practise stuff into a game of how to avoid it if I became a teacher, although i might follow it when ofsted show up. I might go into teaching if everything else goes to pot, it would be an easy carreer for me, and they are desperate for science graduates. The downside is i could get bored easily.

you're never bored teaching, that's one thing it's got going for it.  but you do have to learn that not every kid works at the pace youd like them to, hadron, amongst about a million other things.  it's really not an easy career, i can assure you.
It depends what subject you take and how quickly you can climb the ladder. I just think teaching in a school would bore me intellectually, you never get to go deep into a subject. The other thing that would annoy me is that too many kids are too dim for me to like them.

then teaching really isn't for you.  we can't all be little geniuses.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2007, 04:21:08 PM »
I have A-levels in Sociology, history, human biology and psychology.   I only did 2 at school because I did a part work placement as a class room assistant so I'd have some experience to help me get a place on the teaching degree.  Now I'm a full time parent- my youngest was 4 yesterday.
A lot of things put me off teaching but my main gripe was all the best practice bullshit, some of it didn't make logical sense to me and I knew it would annoy the fuck out of me.
I think being a full time parent would scare the shit out me, and id get annoyed too easily. I would probably turn the best practise stuff into a game of how to avoid it if I became a teacher, although i might follow it when ofsted show up. I might go into teaching if everything else goes to pot, it would be an easy carreer for me, and they are desperate for science graduates. The downside is i could get bored easily.

you're never bored teaching, that's one thing it's got going for it.  but you do have to learn that not every kid works at the pace youd like them to, hadron, amongst about a million other things.  it's really not an easy career, i can assure you.
It depends what subject you take and how quickly you can climb the ladder. I just think teaching in a school would bore me intellectually, you never get to go deep into a subject. The other thing that would annoy me is that too many kids are too dim for me to like them.

then teaching really isn't for you.  we can't all be little geniuses.
Exactly, which it is why its a desperate back up plan, should the need arise. I wouldnt complain about uni level though.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2007, 04:22:31 PM »
Hmm, i dont think uni students would be too bad to lecture at the right uni, i am just not sure what I would research. As for the dim kids, if i end up having to deal with them, they are going straight under hypnosis, end of.

Maybe at a top ranked school it's different,
but they're pretty lousy, even at research
institutes. I'm shocked by the crap that
gets into school.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2007, 04:23:35 PM »
any teaching is a difficult job.  the pointless paperwork alone would drive you insane.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2007, 04:25:25 PM »
any teaching is a difficult job.  the pointless paperwork alone would drive you insane.

I kinda get a kick out of it.
The mechanical repetitive tasks.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2007, 04:27:55 PM »
anything but, i'm afraid.  but really, it's too tedious to talk about in the school holidays...  ::)

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2007, 04:28:01 PM »

Maybe at a top ranked school it's different,
but they're pretty lousy, even at research
institutes. I'm shocked by the crap that
gets into school.
I think I could get into a pretty prestigous university myself. Teaching american undergrads is almost equivalent to Alevels, doing degree over here is almost equveilent to a masters. We are starting to go the american way over here though.
Lucifer, I dont think paperwork would be a problem for me. Half will go in the shredder, and the other half will be done slopplily, should I become a teacher. I do see now how an educational psycholoigist has several raems on me though.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2007, 04:29:05 PM »
Lucifer, I dont think paperwork would be a problem for me. Half will go in the shredder, and the other half will be done slopplily, should I become a teacher. I do see now how an educational psycholoigist has several raems on me though.

then you'd be sacked and quite rightly so.