Educational

Author Topic: your best and worst teachers  (Read 1842 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
your best and worst teachers
« on: July 30, 2007, 07:57:08 PM »
Tell us about your best and worst teachers you had while growing up.  The worst ought to be interesting, so come on, tell us what you REALLY think.

I'll start with a few of mine...

My kindergarten teacher... BITCH!  She sat and did nothing while the other kids fucked with me.  But if I fucked with somebody, she damn sure noticed.

1st and 2nd grade... ASSHOLE!   :finger:  I realize now that the way my brain is wired, I should be one of those people who LOVES math, and I did until this piece of shit fucked it up.  I even had my own scientific calculator (late 1970's, blue fluorescent display) at age seven, and wanted to know what all the extra buttons were for.  Well, that bastard got mad because I already knew about negative numbers before it was time to be taught about them, and "corrected" something I had written on the board during break time.  I had written "2 - 9 = -7" and he switched the 9 and the 2, apparently failing to notice the minus sign before the 7.  Later on, I was having a bad day when everyone was working on multiplication, got frustrated, and flipped out.  He jumped on that opportunity, came storming over from his desk, and manhandled me out of the room.  Years later, I had a flashback to that right in the middle of a calculus test.  Yeah, it takes a real BIG man to manhandle a little six-year-old.  Well, I'm 6'3" now and have a brown belt in karate, so that motherfucker better pray I never recognize him in a dark alley.   >:D  There were rumors that this guy smoked pot.

3rd grade... AWESOME!  Different school.  This teacher saw potential in me, and took extra time to get me moved into the advanced reading group and also to help me with my times tables (though it wasn't fun at the time).  I was still scarred from the asshole 1st & 2nd grade teacher, so math was malassociated and these times tables didn't stick.

4th grade... BITCH!  She didn't like me and made sure I got thrown into special ed for fifth grade.  Okay, so me and some other guys fucked off in class, but god damn!

5th grade... Nice.  This special ed teacher got me put in the gifted class that met one day a week.  She realized I didn't belong in her class, namely because I was the only one in the class who didn't trash the room when upset.  Those others in the class weren't bad guys.  They probably just needed some anger management skills.  I must have been a relief to this teacher.  I bet when this special ed teacher took the job, she never imagined one of her students would take first prize in the science fair.

6th grade gifted social studies... Funny man.  Used humor to keep everyone awake, but didn't take shit from those who fucked off in class.  The classrooms at this school were like giant cubicles in a multi-acre cube farm, so when a teacher yelled at a student, EVERYBODY heard it.   :)  Part of the fun was hearing another student you didn't like getting yelled at.

I'll continue later, and maybe include some of my college professors.  In the meantime, let's hear about some of yours.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: your best and worst teachers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 08:23:18 PM »
Growing up is a bitch, dude, so you should get started, right away. Bury this crap.  Look ahead in your life, not behind. Jesus fucking Christ, bleeding on a stick in the pouring rain, get over it it already!
These people were in charge of helping you, but some did not really give a shit.They probably had their own problems, so fuck 'em! Wait until you run into people who don't give a shit, but really want to hurt you.
Those people are out there. Don't stop your stretches and tai chi ... be ready for them and they can not hurt you as much.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 09:58:04 PM »
...Bury this crap.  Look ahead in your life, not behind. Jesus fucking Christ, bleeding on a stick in the pouring rain, get over it it already!

Oh, no need to worry.  I'm over it.  Pardon me if I gave the impression that I was still stewing over it.  I just thought teacher-from-hell stories would make an interesting thread, so I used a few of my own to get it started.  And I have encountered people who've tried to stick it to me.  They're usually fucking losers anyway.  I'm sure some of those are currently somebody's bitch in prison.  As for looking ahead in life, I've been getting the paperwork in that may lead to a job that pays more than my current one.  I'm not letting my wheels get stuck in the mud, and if they do, I'll just have to get out and kick.  Pardon the wrong impression.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 10:00:06 PM »
my problem is with paedophile boy scout troop leaders.  and bible camp goody two shoes.
Misunderstood.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 10:05:09 PM »
[sigh of relief]  Glad I didn't get into scouting or church.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 12:21:05 AM »
Growing up is a bitch, dude, so you should get started, right away. Bury this crap.  Look ahead in your life, not behind. Jesus fucking Christ, bleeding on a stick in the pouring rain, get over it it already!

So funny, because until I saw your comment, I had forgotten,
but the "get over it" reminded me of my 2nd grade teacher,
and how a despised her. She corrected me, stating that the
sun was NOT a star. A number of other run ins, including
confiscating my matchbox cars for playing with them during
a movie - and never gave them back. The bitch probably gave
them to her grandkids.

:laugh: I'm sure anyone who pissed me off that much died fairly
painfully though.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 06:21:08 AM »
...Bury this crap.  Look ahead in your life, not behind. Jesus fucking Christ, bleeding on a stick in the pouring rain, get over it it already!

Oh, no need to worry.  I'm over it.  Pardon me if I gave the impression that I was still stewing over it. 
I'm not sure why I got that impression, or why I seemed a bit harsh. I just try not to dwell on the past as much anymore. It is hard not to, though, since I seem to continually collect fuck-ups.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Izaak

• Minister for Agriculture of The Aspie Elite
  • Fresh Meat
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 06:28:49 AM »
Best:
Highschool English Teacher...
Got me interested in classic literature (even though it wasn't assigned) and when I finsiehd all my reading/assignments/work early bought in a TV and put on Monty Python for me while everyone else was still working.

Worst:
Highschool Physics Teacher...
I think he was the only one that detected there was "something pretty wrong with me" and so made it his personal quest to make sure I was asked all the questions and came up for all the demonstrations and made sure everyone laughed at me at least once a lesson. He taught me people are assholes, and I attribute much of my later Social Anxiety/Depression to the perpetual embarrassment I was subjected to in that class. Now, of course, I am all better, but I do not have fond memories of those classes.

In hindsight I appreciate the lessons I learned and character I developed because of both of these teachers, I would have loved to have not gone through the worst teacher, but I think I am strong now because of it.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 06:30:47 AM »
welcome izaak.  are you going to introduce yourself?
Misunderstood.

Offline Izaak

• Minister for Agriculture of The Aspie Elite
  • Fresh Meat
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 06:31:58 AM »
oh yeah... check out the intro forums in a second... my bad.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 07:01:07 AM »
i just gave you your first karma point for free.  you will have to earn the rest.
Misunderstood.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 07:18:03 AM »
Best:
After I had failed Years 8 and 9, I had this teacher that taught me algebra in such a way in which I actually learnt something. I eneded up getting an A for that class. :)

One of the Worst:
In Year 8 a Science teacher (Science! My favourite subject! :() announced to me in front of the whole class that I was to go and see the school psychologist. From then on, I also became known as "The Psycho".
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 05:59:36 PM »
I had a HS chem teacher who was an absolute tyrant,
but he wasn't that bad actually. Learned a bit from
him - even though he regularly gave out the most
ridiculous grades (I got a 26 one quarter).

As to best, I'd say again a science teacher.
He was actually an archaeologist, but taught
biology. Really engaging and excited about
all things. Wrote a couple of popular books
on his work, centered on the concept that
Phoenicians settled in New England.  :laugh:

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2007, 06:47:36 PM »
One of the Worst:
In Year 8 a Science teacher (Science! My favourite subject! :() announced to me in front of the whole class that I was to go and see the school psychologist. From then on, I also became known as "The Psycho".

JUH-YEEEEZZZUS on a pogo stick!  That's pretty rotten.

How 'bout a 9th grade biology teacher who once forgot to erase the board before the pop-quiz.  When she realized what she did, before she erased the board, she gave the whole class an evil look and dared anyone to look in the direction of the board.  Anyone who looked would have gotten a zero for the quiz.  One of my favorite things about that class was after the last day of school when I went home and burned my biology notes in the back yard.

I guess I better balance that out with a good one...  Many years later in graduate school, I was in what was probably the last PASCAL class to be taught on that campus.  At this point, all the classrooms have overhead video that professors can plug their laptops into.  For some reason, this professor was using Microsoft Word to edit source code.  (I would have preferred the basic text editor, but hey, he was teaching the class, not me.)  The "Office Assistant", in the default form of a paperclip, kept popping up.  After about the third time that day, the professor looked up and asked the class, "Does anyone here know how to turn this little dildo off?"  That made my whole morning.  The big project for that class was a computer version of dice game.  (The game used was Cosmic Wimpout.)  Before we could code it up, we had to get in groups and have practice games with the real version of the game.  Each student got their own game set, which we got to keep after the semester was over.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 06:51:19 PM »
Worst - Year 5 a teacher made me stand up in front of the class and told me about how I was an inadequite person for being quiet in class and not talking much.

Best - No idea, some of my teachers at High school were pretty cool.