Author Topic: does anyone know anythign about ecoli?  (Read 648 times)

ozymandias

Re: does anyone know anythign about ecoli?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 08:47:05 PM »
Too much of those "fake fats" in chips or glycerol in baked goods or diabetic chocolates can do that.   Either way, it's not a product of the imagination.  If you had been thru that, you wouldn't be laughing about it.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 10:32:35 PM »
I have food hygiene standards that would make a home economics teacher faint.  I leave half-eaten plates of meat and stuff lying around in a warm room over night before resuming where I left off in the morning, and my old, wooden and rather absorbent chopping board with slimy mould all around the edge (it's the kitchen's equivalent of my keyboard) only gets a brief wipe under some cold running water to remove the residue of raw turkey mince and lamb's liver before I put it away.  I never get sick from it though.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2007, 10:50:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I had e-coli,
last summer.

Anyhow, it strikes me as unlikely that
you could catch it from your own shit.
Unless you had it already.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2007, 11:00:09 PM »
Waggy doesn't get sick from eating her shit.  I don't get sick when she kisses me afterwards either.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Janicka

• Concertmaster of the Aspie World Elite Orchestra
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Nicolo Paganini's Slovakian Prostitute
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2007, 11:47:25 AM »
OK, now here's a sort of dumb question.  If you happen to ingest your own shit, aren't you ingesting bacteria that are in YOUR digestive tract already.  I thought e-coli and other fecal-borne diseases came from ingesting someone else's shit (like if someone takes a shit, doesn't wash their hands, and then makes your food in a restaurant).

If I happenned to ingest my own shit, I'd probably vomit for psychological reasons.  I don't think that I'd be worried about any diseases, cause anything I ingest would already be in my guts. 
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

richard

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 12:08:59 PM »
yah janicka yer right. im still alive and feel alot better so i thin it was all in my head. believe me im one of thoses people that gets the flu and i think its AIDS, and go right to the hospital itching and stuff. and probobly freaking out :laugh:

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2007, 12:10:06 PM »
Dude, I'm not making fun of you for it.  I'd have been throwing up if it happenned to me as well   ;)
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2007, 12:13:48 PM »
Yes and no.  The e-coli you have in your gut belongs there, but, while you can get sick if you ingest your own shit.  e-coli is not present in your stomach unless you eat it from improper hand washing.  You just won't get as sick as if you eat somebody elses e-coli.  It's a bacteria and it constantly mutates, plus there are several types of e-coli around.  So you have some immunity from your own, but, if you have an abcess in your intestines and it gets out into the bloodstream or you do eat it, things can get pretty hairy, especially if people have a compromised immune system to begin with.

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2007, 12:18:56 PM »
Interesting - thanks for that clarification.

Also, how long would it take for any ecoli to make you sick? When I had salmonella, they told me that it was like a 2-3 day incubation (which made sense for what they thought caused it).  I would think that if I ate shit and immediately puked, it would be psychological.  If there was some delay in puking, it would probably be more likely to be physical.  No?

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 12:45:20 PM »
I had salmonella as well. I wonder if the symptoms are the same as e-coli.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 01:00:36 PM »
I got sick once from eating some soup that I'd left standing in the kitchen for 3 days.  I woke up during the night with my gut making nasty churning sounds, passed out in the bathroom and hit my septum on the toilet seat on my way down.  I've still got a scar from it.  I was fine a few hours later.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
I got sick once from eating some soup that I'd left standing in the kitchen for 3 days.  I woke up during the night with my gut making nasty churning sounds, passed out in the bathroom and hit my septum on the toilet seat on my way down.  I've still got a scar from it.  I was fine a few hours later.

:puke:

Do you not have a refrigerator?

Refrigeration would greatly retard the growth of microorganisms.

ozymandias

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 01:08:16 PM »
salmonella and ecoli are two different things with salmonella being much more serious.

As for how long it would take for ecoli to make you sick.  That would depend upon your general health.  And how much of the bacteria you ingested.  Obvious, getting shit in your mouth would make most people puke immediately.  Just the smell of it can make me gag, if it hits me just right.  ANd I'm a nurse!  The thing is, you can have ecoli on your hands or eat food with it, without even knowing it was there.  Thats why restaurants have to follow such stringent hygiene practices.  And why it's always a good idea to wash fruits and vegetables throroughly before eating them.  Not to mention washing any pesticides off the food.  Unless you happen to go pick your own food and grow it yourself, thats the safest thing to do.  I don't hesitate to eat the tomatoes I grow myself right off the plant.  But, if it's a tomato from a store, I wash it.  

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 01:09:04 PM »
I had salmonella as well. I wonder if the symptoms are the same as e-coli.

All I know is that the Salmonella lasted for fucking ever.  I ended up in the hospital because my blood pressure got really low and I had to take antibiotics to finally get rid of it.  

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 01:12:44 PM »

:puke:

Do you not have a refrigerator?

Refrigeration would greatly retard the growth of microorganisms.

Yeah, we have a fridge, but I was feeling really crappy at the time and didn't have the energy to put it into plastic tubs to stick in the fridge.