Author Topic: Post a useless fact  (Read 61308 times)

Offline Stalin

• Constant Poster
Re: Post a useless fact
« Reply #2160 on: April 23, 2011, 02:59:24 PM »
My dreamcar is a beetle. Preferably from -56 or sometime around there.

When Stalin strikes, lightning stands still

Stalin has the strength of ten tigresses

When Stalin asks, you answer

Stalin freezes your blood, makes cowards out of strong men

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2161 on: April 23, 2011, 06:22:29 PM »

I remember back in 61 or 62 my girlfriend's parents bought a VW Microbus.  No, they weren't early hippies.  They had 9 kids. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #2162 on: April 23, 2011, 10:47:16 PM »
A completely useless fact - my grandfather is dying from AML, and his children are useless, and all the responsibility of giving him whatever comfort and support that is possible at this moment is falling on two of his grandchildren.  At least I'm not completely alone.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2163 on: April 23, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »
I would like a Mini, one of the new ones.

A completely useless fact - my grandfather is dying from AML, and his children are useless, and all the responsibility of giving him whatever comfort and support that is possible at this moment is falling on two of his grandchildren.  At least I'm not completely alone.
That is sad. :(
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2164 on: April 24, 2011, 03:40:52 AM »

That's awful, MLA.  How many children and grandchidren does he have?

I remember a pastor saying that it was sad when a parent could take care of seven children yet seven children couldn't take care of one parent.

Has your grandfather had chemotherapy?

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2165 on: April 24, 2011, 04:31:37 AM »
the shower door is broken

midlifeaspie

« Reply #2166 on: April 24, 2011, 08:45:22 AM »

I remember a pastor saying that it was sad when a parent could take care of seven children yet seven children couldn't take care of one parent.

He has three sons and 6 grandchildren.  At his age (86) the oncologist does not recommend chemotherapy.  It is just going to take its course.  They gave him 3 months to live, back in December.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #2167 on: April 24, 2011, 08:47:52 AM »

He has three sons and 6 grandchildren.  At his age (86) the oncologist does not recommend chemotherapy.  It is just going to take its course.  They gave him 3 months to live, back in December.

What is AML?

Sorry he is dying in a bad way and that his support is diminished
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:09:36 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2168 on: April 24, 2011, 10:46:51 AM »

What is AML?

I was assuming that MLA meant Acute Myeloid Leukemia.

Acute myeloid leukemia (AML), also known as acute myelogenous leukemia, is a cancer of the myeloid line of blood cells, characterized by the rapid growth of abnormal white blood cells that accumulate in the bone marrow and interfere with the production of normal blood cells. AML is the most common acute leukemia affecting adults, and its incidence increases with age. Although AML is a relatively rare disease, accounting for approximately 1.2% of cancer deaths in the United States,[1] its incidence is expected to increase as the population ages.

The symptoms of AML are caused by replacement of normal bone marrow with leukemic cells, which causes a drop in red blood cells, platelets, and normal white blood cells. These symptoms include fatigue, shortness of breath, easy bruising and bleeding, and increased risk of infection. Several risk factors and chromosomal abnormalities have been identified, but the specific cause isn't clear. As an acute leukemia, AML progresses rapidly and is typically fatal within weeks or months if left untreated.

AML has several subtypes; treatment and prognosis varies among subtypes. Five-year survival varies from 15–70%, and relapse rate varies from 78–33%, depending on subtype. AML is treated initially with chemotherapy aimed at inducing a remission; patients may go on to receive additional chemotherapy or a hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Recent research into the genetics of AML has resulted in the availability of tests that can predict which drug or drugs may work best for a particular patient, as well as how long that patient is likely to survive.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2169 on: April 24, 2011, 12:05:13 PM »
Where do the happiest people in the world live? They released results on the news this morning. The top 3 countries where people report being happiest with their life:

1. Denmark
2. Canada & Sweden (tied)
3. Australia

The bottom two in the poll were Chad and Kenya.

Interesting. My daughter wants to move to the UK.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2170 on: April 24, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »
A VW "Beetle" is unexpectedly "thirsty"; its 1 litre engine craves about 25% more petrol than a 2.5 liter motor in a modern Volvo, that is almost twice as heavy and has at least twice as many horsepowers.

Yet the modern Volvo is generally considered to be "thirsty".
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #2171 on: April 24, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »
A VW "Beetle" is unexpectedly "thirsty"; its 1 litre engine craves about 25% more petrol than a 2.5 liter motor in a modern Volvo, that is almost twice as heavy and has at least twice as many horsepowers.

Yet the modern Volvo is generally considered to be "thirsty".

Yep. Depends on what you compare it to.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #2172 on: April 24, 2011, 12:51:42 PM »

What is AML?

I was assuming that MLA meant Acute Myeloid Leukemia.

Acute myeloid leukemia (AML), also known as acute myelogenous leukemia, is a cancer of the myeloid line of blood cells, characterized by the rapid growth of abnormal white blood cells that accumulate in the bone marrow and interfere with the production of normal blood cells. AML is the most common acute leukemia affecting adults, and its incidence increases with age. Although AML is a relatively rare disease, accounting for approximately 1.2% of cancer deaths in the United States,[1] its incidence is expected to increase as the population ages.

The symptoms of AML are caused by replacement of normal bone marrow with leukemic cells, which causes a drop in red blood cells, platelets, and normal white blood cells. These symptoms include fatigue, shortness of breath, easy bruising and bleeding, and increased risk of infection. Several risk factors and chromosomal abnormalities have been identified, but the specific cause isn't clear. As an acute leukemia, AML progresses rapidly and is typically fatal within weeks or months if left untreated.

AML has several subtypes; treatment and prognosis varies among subtypes. Five-year survival varies from 15–70%, and relapse rate varies from 78–33%, depending on subtype. AML is treated initially with chemotherapy aimed at inducing a remission; patients may go on to receive additional chemotherapy or a hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Recent research into the genetics of AML has resulted in the availability of tests that can predict which drug or drugs may work best for a particular patient, as well as how long that patient is likely to survive.

Yes, this.  Very bad and untreatable at his age.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2173 on: April 24, 2011, 12:57:34 PM »
Sorry to hear it. :(

- Albert Einstein

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #2174 on: April 24, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
Don't know what to say other than.. me too, I'm sorry to hear that, MLA.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.