Educational

Author Topic: Post a useless fact  (Read 61339 times)

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
Re: Post a useless fact
« Reply #2115 on: April 15, 2011, 03:08:59 PM »
Mussels that didn't open, while most others did open after cooking them properly, are perfectly well edible. They're just a lot tougher, let's say muscle-wise, than the others.

Oh, those already open before cooking are bad though.

(did know this but S. Fry just mentioned it again on QI)
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

TheoK

« Reply #2116 on: April 15, 2011, 03:10:59 PM »
Copper has its name from the island Cyprus.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #2117 on: April 15, 2011, 03:55:27 PM »
Murder was legal in Sweden until about 1200.

Murder was (essentially) legal in the US until the mid-1800's.  You could shoot a man in the back at a saloon if he had given you proper provocation.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2118 on: April 15, 2011, 03:56:43 PM »
Everywhere? And how would you prove that there was "proper provocation"?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

midlifeaspie

« Reply #2119 on: April 15, 2011, 03:59:13 PM »

Mainly in the western territories.  You would still go to trial, but would not be convicted if you could convince the jury that you were provoked.  Depending on the jury this could be as little as calling someone a name or spitting on them.

These same territories would hang you for stealing a horse or cattle.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2120 on: April 15, 2011, 04:03:50 PM »

Mainly in the western territories.  You would still go to trial, but would not be convicted if you could convince the jury that you were provoked.  Depending on the jury this could be as little as calling someone a name or spitting on them.

Thank god for their sense of what really mattered. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

midlifeaspie

« Reply #2121 on: April 15, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »

Thank god for their sense of what really mattered. ;D

It hasn't changed all that much.  In the US property crimes still have higher penalties except for drugs (or if the criminal wears a suit to work and steals millions at a time)

My sister's ex-boyfriend held her and their baby daughter hostage at gunpoint for half an afternoon until the cops kicked down the door and arrested him.  He was given 6 months for taking them hostage and 6 years because the gun he used was stolen.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2122 on: April 15, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
WTF?

- Albert Einstein

midlifeaspie

« Reply #2123 on: April 15, 2011, 04:10:56 PM »
WTF?

That's what I asked.  He was released on parole after 4 years and immediately stole a car, got wasted on something and passed out in an intersection.  Now he is doing another ten years in the clink.  Good thing he didn't run someone over or they might have tacked on another few months.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2124 on: April 15, 2011, 04:14:55 PM »
WTF?

That's what I asked.  He was released on parole after 4 years and immediately stole a car, got wasted on something and passed out in an intersection.  Now he is doing another ten years in the clink.  Good thing he didn't run someone over or they might have tacked on another few months.

And if he had a joint on him they probably would have added  two years :-\
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #2125 on: April 15, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »
Weird. In Sweden it would have been the taking of hostage that was a serious crime. Illegal possession of a gun isn't that serious, despite the strict gun law. Possession of a joint wouldn't give prison at all.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2126 on: April 15, 2011, 04:19:27 PM »
WTF?

I've never been one to endorse guns but what that guy would need is the kind of justice once offered in the western territories.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2127 on: April 15, 2011, 04:19:59 PM »
Weird. In Sweden it would have been the taking of hostage that was a serious crime. Illegal possession of a gun isn't that serious, despite the strict gun law. Possession of a joint wouldn't give prison at all.

We sometimes do get it right.

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #2128 on: April 15, 2011, 04:20:56 PM »
 :agreed:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #2129 on: April 15, 2011, 04:21:52 PM »
WTF?

I've never been one to endorse guns but what that guy would need is the kind of justice once offered in the western territories.

The prison he is in is privately run, and affectionately referred to by the local media as "gladiator school".   :ATM:

He may yet get what is coming to him.