Educational

Author Topic: Post a useless fact  (Read 61486 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Post a useless fact
« Reply #1890 on: March 16, 2011, 06:50:19 AM »
Hey, better safe than sorry.  :laugh:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1891 on: March 16, 2011, 07:17:57 AM »
They take fire alarms dead serious in the army, so when one went off in the barracks we evacuated EVERY time.Immediately. Wound up outside in my underwear a lot. ::)

Well, you could have had the courtesy to take pics!  :eyebrows:

Yeah, I'm a stickler for that stuff. I'd rather be out of the building...but people think it's never going to happen to them, so I'm usually the only person out of the gazillion units that's out the front like a safety Nigel No Mates.  :hahaha:

I think that Rick Rescorla's coworkers at Morgan Stanley probably thought that he was a Nigel No Mates when he led them in several fire drills before 9-11, but most of them lived because of him getting them out of the building immediately when there was a real emergency.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1892 on: March 16, 2011, 07:30:21 AM »
They take fire alarms dead serious in the army, so when one went off in the barracks we evacuated EVERY time.Immediately. Wound up outside in my underwear a lot. ::)

Well, you could have had the courtesy to take pics!  :eyebrows:

Yeah, I'm a stickler for that stuff. I'd rather be out of the building...but people think it's never going to happen to them, so I'm usually the only person out of the gazillion units that's out the front like a safety Nigel No Mates.  :hahaha:

I think that Rick Rescorla's coworkers at Morgan Stanley probably thought that he was a Nigel No Mates when he led them in several fire drills before 9-11, but most of them lived because of him getting them out of the building immediately when there was a real emergency.

Special man, hey. Yes, I was actually watching a show about that the other day.

We had a component in my uni degree that was about the study of human behaviour in fires. Absolutely fascinating...I find the subject interesting. Apparently, for example people in shopping centres tend to retrace their steps back to the car if a fire alarm goes off, rather than go to the nearest exit. We saw so much footage, that it's kind of second nature for me now to check where the fire exit signs are when I enter a building, any building!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1893 on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:12 AM »
You could see the smoke from the WTC from my friend's house which is on a hill in one of the highest points in my town
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1894 on: March 16, 2011, 08:25:34 AM »
Black holes are even braver, because they literally make spaghetti of you and don't even let the light out.  :viking:

Not literally, no. The "spaghetti effect" refers to the (very significant) variation with distance of the black hole's gravitational pull when sufficiently near it. For example, if your feet were pointing at the black hole, the pull on them would be stronger than the pull on, say, your knees, and so your feet would be pulled towards the black hole at a faster rate than the knees. Figuratively speaking, the black hole would make spaghetti out of you.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1895 on: March 16, 2011, 08:27:35 AM »
Black holes are even braver, because they literally make spaghetti of you and don't even let the light out.  :viking:

Not literally, no. The "spaghetti effect" refers to the (very significant) variation with distance of the black hole's gravitational pull when sufficiently near it. For example, if your feet were pointing at the black hole, the pull on them would be stronger than the pull on, say, your knees, and so your feet would be pulled towards the black hole at a faster rate than the knees. Figuratively speaking, the black hole would make spaghetti out of you.

A two dimensional "data" version of you would also eternally smear across the event horizon too, which is what anyone would see if they were watching.
I will never stop...

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1896 on: March 16, 2011, 07:16:47 PM »

without question, there is not a single lametard soul on this site who is interested in the many moons orbiting saturn.

i have hundreds of pics to share, but alas, as is usual, i find no peer.

... useless factt, indeeed

:asthing:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1897 on: March 16, 2011, 07:19:32 PM »

without question, there is not a single lametard soul on this site who is interested in the many moons orbiting saturn.

i have hundreds of pics to share, but alas, as is usual, i find no peer.

... useless factt, indeeed

:asthing:

How do you know that? Just because you didn't share your lametard interest, maybe they didn't either? :P

Personally, I love all that stuff, I just find that I can go into a zone - albeit a happy one, when getting into intricate space talk!

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1898 on: March 16, 2011, 07:42:12 PM »
what?

want to see pics of thirty seven thousand mile high geysers, from the polar regions of Enseladas, made up of seventy nine percent water, blanketing a full one fourth of the planet/moon from each eruption?

wish we had time to talk.

EDIT:

Did I really write "miles?"

I meant feet, obviously. 

... or maybe I was suffering from a kind of Freudian Geyser Grandeur that is more comical than what is apparent at first look.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 08:29:11 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Osensitive1

« Reply #1899 on: March 16, 2011, 09:05:19 PM »
want to see pics of thirty seven thousand mile high geysers, from the polar regions of Enseladas, made up of seventy nine percent water, blanketing a full one fourth of the planet/moon from each eruption?
Yes. Go for it; moon us.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1900 on: March 16, 2011, 10:06:39 PM »
I am on IM right now.
Guardian of the Empire

Scrapheap

« Reply #1901 on: March 16, 2011, 10:27:30 PM »
I am on IM right now.

Hiya Kevv!!!  :viking:

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1902 on: March 17, 2011, 06:34:50 AM »
what?

wish we had time to talk.

I'm into europa pretty hardcore lately. Mostly because I have a gut feeling things live under the ice.
I will never stop...

TheoK

« Reply #1903 on: March 17, 2011, 06:40:12 AM »
I'm into Europa too. Europa is Swedish for Europe.  :P

Seriously, I used to be more into astronomy than I am now. 

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1904 on: March 17, 2011, 07:32:09 AM »
Well the one i'm talking about is a moon orbiting jupiter, and its pretty much been proven it has a global ocean. Two magnetospheres. :P

I will never stop...