Educational

Author Topic: Post a useless fact  (Read 60766 times)

TheoK

Re: Post a useless fact
« Reply #3000 on: July 15, 2012, 10:40:33 AM »
When Schopenhauer was angry at his dog he shouted "Mensch!" to him  :laugh:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #3001 on: July 15, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
On this day in 1944 the big top burned in Hartford Ct killing almost 170 people.  My father was supposed to go but was sick that day.
Link

I remember reading about that horrible fire.  :(  I'm glad your dad wasn't there.
Me too.  If he was there you might be missing parts :zoinks:

:oneliner:   Oh brother ...  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3002 on: July 15, 2012, 12:53:12 PM »
Bill Clinton lived in a beach house less than a half mile from my house when he went to Yale law school in 1970-71
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #3003 on: July 15, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »
The Latin name for nitric acid is aqua fortis, literally "brave water". Some of an understatement, I think  :green:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3004 on: July 15, 2012, 05:30:00 PM »
Mica, mica, parva stella,
Miror quaenam sis tam bella.
Splendens eminus in illo
Alba vella gemma caelo.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

TheoK

« Reply #3005 on: July 15, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »
Nice. We have that in Swedish too. "Blinka lilla stjärna där".

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3006 on: July 15, 2012, 05:52:55 PM »
I learned it as a Senior in High School when I took Latin.

PA is 7 and 1/2 years older than I am.  We were talking about our high school experiences.  We both had the same Latin teacher, although we went to different public school systems and she had married in the interim.  Aah, Miss Leidenheimer, Mrs. Blackburn.

TheoK

« Reply #3007 on: July 15, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
I wish I had learned Latin in high school. It's much easier to learn when you are 16. Well, well.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3008 on: July 15, 2012, 05:58:06 PM »
There's not too much I remember after 45 years.  I took 2 years of French and 1 year of Latin in high school.  One year of Russian and 1 semester of Spanish in college. 

TheoK

« Reply #3009 on: July 15, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »
Oh, I haven't studied English since high school either, and that is 22 years ago :smarty:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3010 on: July 15, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »
I never could understand why words like "chevalier" and "caballero" were derived from the Latin for "horse" which is "equus."  Finally, in one of the books I read on the development of English (one of my hobbies), I found out about Vulgar vs Classical Latin.  While not from that book, here's something from the web on the two latins.

Vulgar Latin - The Father of the Modern Romance Languages

No, Vulgar Latin isn't Latin filled with profanities or simply a slangy version of Classical Latin, although there certainly were vulgar words in Vulgar Latin.

Rather, Vulgar Latin is the father of the Romance languages: the Latin taught at schools, Classical Latin, is their grandfather.

Vulgar Latin, was spoken differently in different countries, where, over time, it became such familiar modern languages as Spanish, Italian, French, Catalan, Romanian, and Portuguese. There are others less commonly spoken.

The Spread of Latin

When the Roman Empire expanded, the language and customs of the Romans spread to peoples who already had their own languages and cultures. The growing Empire required soldiers be positioned at all the outposts. These soldiers came from all over the Empire and spoke Latin diluted by their native tongues.

The Latin Spoken in Rome

In Rome itself, the common people did not speak the stilted Latin that we know of as Classical Latin, the literary language of the first century B.C.

Not even the aristocrats, like Cicero, actually spoke the literary language, although they wrote it.

Evidence? We can say this because in some of Cicero's personal correspondence, his Latin was less than the polished form we think of as typically Ciceronian.

Classical Latin was, therefore, not the lingua franca of the Roman Empire, even if Latin, in one form or another was.

Difference Between Vulgar Latin and Classical Latin

Throughout the Empire, Latin was spoken in many forms, but it was basically the version of Latin called Vulgar Latin, the fast-changing Latin of the common people (the word vulgar comes from the Latin word for the common people, like the Greek hoi polloi 'the many'). Vulgar Latin was a simpler form of literary Latin.
•It dropped terminal letters and syllables (or they metathesized).
•It decreased the use of inflections, since prepositions (ad (> à) and de) came to serve in place of case endings on nouns.
•Colorful or slang (what we think of as 'vulgar') terms replaced traditional ones -- testa meaning 'jar' replaced caput for 'head'.

You may see some of what had happened to Latin by the 3rd or 4th century A.D. when a list of 227 fascinating "corrections" [basically, Vulgar Latin, wrong; Classical Latin, right] was compiled by Probus.

TheoK

« Reply #3011 on: July 15, 2012, 06:08:45 PM »
Throughout most of history written language (and that goes for most languages) has been different from the spoken. Until 1981 the Bible in Swedish had plural forms for the verbs. Except for some very isolated and odd dialects there haven't been any plural forms in spoken Swedish since the beginning of the 18th Century. Plural forms of verbs were also in ordinary books and newspapers until about 1950. Already then they hadn't been in use for 250 years in everyday language.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #3012 on: July 23, 2012, 05:50:10 AM »
(I already have an other good one but.. ) ..my, over a hundred years old/'Amsterdam's household', cookbook doesn't have a recipe for French onion soup.    :o
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3013 on: July 23, 2012, 06:54:26 AM »
(I already have an other good one but.. ) ..my, over a hundred years old/'Amsterdam's household', cookbook doesn't have a recipe for French onion soup.    :o

You've got that one?

My mother has it too I think, or she has a similar one, where my aunt had the Amsterdam one. Sometimes that cook book amazes me with what is not in it.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #3014 on: July 23, 2012, 07:13:13 AM »
^ Um, I have several cook books (um, ¾ of numerous).. but I tend to read what the Amsterdam one has to say too.

And ja, the old book misses quite a bit of recipes.. but that's not really surprising for it was first published in 1910. Well, it's quite a good cook book considering. I do divide boiling times of vegetables in two though. Times mentioned in book are (old fashion style) way too long.

Well, not having French onion soup in it is a.. fail.   
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.