Educational

Author Topic: gay bar wins suit down under  (Read 642 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
gay bar wins suit down under
« on: May 31, 2007, 07:37:12 AM »
Gay bar wins right to turn away straight patrons
Associated Press
Long Beach Press Telegram
Article Launched:05/29/2007 07:51:05 PM PDT

MELBOURNE, Australia - A gay bar has won the right to turn away heterosexuals and even lesbians to provide a non-threatening atmosphere for the men partying inside.
A tribunal in Australia's southern Victoria state granted Melbourne's Peel Hotel an exemption to equal rights laws, saying it was needed to prevent "sexually based insults and violence" aimed at the pub's patrons.

The tribunal's deputy president, Cate McKenzie, said Monday that to allow large numbers of straight men and women and lesbians into the bar could "undermine or destroy" the convivial atmosphere that the Peel Hotel sought to create for gay men.

McKenzie said there was evidence some straight patrons were going to the bar to use the predominantly gay customers as a form of entertainment.

"To regard the gay male patrons of the venue as providing an entertainment or spectacle to be stared at, as one would at an animal at a zoo, devalues and dehumanizes them," she was quoted by News Ltd. newspapers as saying.

The pub will now be able to advertise that it will turn away straight people, and its door staff will be able to ask people whether they are gay before allowing them inside.

The head of Victoria's Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission applauded the decision. "These exemptions exist to protect groups in the community who are subject to being treated less favorably, or treated unfairly compared with other groups," she said Tuesday.

Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
Re: gay bar wins suit down under
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 07:38:38 AM »
seems to me that they are being treated more favorably.

what are Lits chances of opening a male exclusive He-man Woman Haters Club?
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:45:58 AM »
They'd be hell to pay in if was a predominantly straight bar turning away gay customers.  And why aren't lesbians considered 'gay' enough for them?

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 08:04:17 AM »
They'd be hell to pay in if was a predominantly straight bar turning away gay customers.  And why aren't lesbians considered 'gay' enough for them?

I'd assume that the reasoning is that the gay men wouldn't want to date the lesbians.  They're gay enough, they just don't have penises.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 08:10:33 AM »

I'd assume that the reasoning is that the gay men wouldn't want to date the lesbians.  They're gay enough, they just don't have penises.

Yes, but shouldn't gay bars provide somewhere for gays of both sexes to pick someone up??

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 05:01:33 PM »
seems to me that they are being treated more favorably.

what are Lits chances of opening a male exclusive He-man Woman Haters Club?
In Brisbane we have a club called The Tattersall's club.  Women are allowed in certain areas and on the invitation only of a male club member.  Recently they put out a vote as to whether or not women could be members, don't remember the outcome, couldn't be bothered to look.  It went on for a while though, the fight about whether women should be allowed or not.

I'm sure Lit will be going for membership.  Unfortunately I don't think the ladies that get invited there are into licking their own shit of a guy's member.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 05:22:41 PM »
it's not fair lesbians are turned away. if a bar does that it's a semi-gay bar. also, why turn away all heteros? and what about bis? why can't they turn away those who make trouble regardless of gender or orientation?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 05:34:47 PM »
it's not fair lesbians are turned away. if a bar does that it's a semi-gay bar. also, why turn away all heteros? and what about bis? why can't they turn away those who make trouble regardless of gender or orientation?
I would suspect in removing the girls it then helps to remove bi males really.  For example, you are a gay guy chatting up a guy you think is cute (but who is bi)....cute bi chick comes in, off he goes to chat her up.

There are a lot of gay and lesbian people who are totally ill at ease with the concept of bi-sexual.  I also think there are a some gay males who have an aversion to females as they perceive them as competition with cute guys.  A broad statement, but having spent time within some of those groups, I'd say you can definitely see those attitudes at times.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 06:20:29 PM »

I totally agree.  Why not just get some good bouncers and throw out all troublemakers, regardless of their sexual orientation?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 06:49:08 PM »
i used to have some gay friends.

and it seemed to me that they all got a kick out of trying to make straight guys take a walk on the wild side.
even though they are gay, they are still males.  males do appreciate the hunt.
Misunderstood.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 07:10:22 PM »

and it seemed to me that they all got a kick out of trying to make straight guys take a walk on the wild side.
Agreed.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 07:23:23 PM »

Agreed.

this is what i didn't understand.

i used to enjoy going to gay bars.  and i gave the boys a fair chance.  none played their cards right, though.  but they sure tried.  we all had fun.
Misunderstood.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 08:11:59 PM »

Agreed.

i used to enjoy going to gay bars.  and i gave the boys a fair chance.  none played their cards right, though.  but they sure tried.  we all had fun.
They must have thought you were a long shot, that may have the potential to break their hearts.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 08:43:31 PM »

Agreed.

They must have thought you were a long shot, that may have the potential to break their hearts.
with the proper stimuli i am.

you know, shorten the barrel and all.
Misunderstood.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 09:07:36 PM »
I would suspect in removing the girls it then helps to remove bi males really.  For example, you are a gay guy chatting up a guy you think is cute (but who is bi)....cute bi chick comes in, off he goes to chat her up.

There are a lot of gay and lesbian people who are totally ill at ease with the concept of bi-sexual.  I also think there are a some gay males who have an aversion to females as they perceive them as competition with cute guys.  A broad statement, but having spent time within some of those groups, I'd say you can definitely see those attitudes at times.

well those people are idiots. i'm bi and they're not allowed to discriminate against me anymore than someone mono-orientated.

and if a hot chick comes by and snatches up the guy you're trying to chat up, then that's the same as a hot guy comes and snatches him up. there's little difference there. and what about drag queens? are they not allowed in if they're straight? and what about transsexuals who are straight or who are women but straight but they used to be men so they used to be gay?

this is discrimination and it's bullshit. i don't care who does it, gays or straights. they might have the right if it's a private club but i wouldn't go to a stinkin club like that anyway. they can have their stupid club.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde: