Author Topic: A Very Good Commercial...  (Read 665 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: A Very Good Commercial...
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 07:26:22 AM »
I think all kids try it at some point, you just have to handle those first few times in the right way and they soon realise it isn't worth the energy kicking up such a fuss.  My daughter always tries batting her eyelids and looking cute to try persuade us- that doesn't work either.

One of my pet hates though is on-lookers who think they have the right to tell you how you should handle your own kids- we've had a fair few problems with the old biddy brigade and our AS son.
oh, i caused a scene in the restaurant the time the old bag decided to intervene.

so many times i see parents doing the laissez fairre approach to parenting and i never say anything.

one time a few months ago this kid was throwing a fit and the parents were following us around the store.
finally, i turned around and said, "hey, we are planning on going this way, which way are you going!"  then i looked at their kid, but said nothing else.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 12:53:42 PM »

One of my pet hates though is on-lookers who think they have the right to tell you how you should handle your own kids- we've had a fair few problems with the old biddy brigade and our AS son.

Me too, but I have had a few problems with young biddies too.  One time we were in Wendy's with our daughter and she had hit someone, so I was holding both her hands until she calmed down.  This young biddie kept looking at us, so I had a feeling what was coming.  She came over and sat down with us and told me that I needed to let go of my daughter's hands.  I explained why I was holding them but she kept insisting that I needed to let go, so I finally did.  In an instant, my daughter chucked her chocolate frosty at the woman.  Chocolate milkshake was dripping down her face, but she at least took it well.  I gave her all the napkins on the table and went back to holding my daughter's hands and my husband went to get more napkins for her, then he carried our daughter out to the car, while I cleaned up the table and continued talking to the woman.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 12:57:57 PM »

Me too, but I have had a few problems with young biddies too.  One time we were in Wendy's with our daughter and she had hit someone, so I was holding both her hands until she calmed down.  This young biddie kept looking at us, so I had a feeling what was coming.  She came over and sat down with us and told me that I needed to let go of my daughter's hands.  I explained why I was holding them but she kept insisting that I needed to let go, so I finally did.  In an instant, my daughter chucked her chocolate frosty at the woman.  Chocolate milkshake was dripping down her face, but she at least took it well.  I gave her all the napkins on the table and went back to holding my daughter's hands and my husband went to get more napkins for her, then he carried our daughter out to the car, while I cleaned up the table and continued talking to the woman.
this should be in make someone laugh! :laugh:
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 02:12:17 PM »
Backseat parents.  ::)

ozymandias

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 02:45:57 PM »
I think all kids try it at some point, you just have to handle those first few times in the right way and they soon realise it isn't worth the energy kicking up such a fuss.  My daughter always tries batting her eyelids and looking cute to try persuade us- that doesn't work either.

Tell me about the old biddy brigade and McJ's experience is similar to a few of my own.   ::)

ozymandias

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 02:55:22 PM »
We were lucky in many ways, Amber never really threw fits in restaurants or stores.  She was never as bad as some of the little brats I hear in walmart or supermarkets.  Where I had the most problems from the biddy brigade was when Amber was a toddler and hated holding my hand anywhere.  So I got a body harness used to keep toddlers in a high chair and got a long leash to attach to it.  She could have her hands free and I could use the leash to control how far she could get from me.  Apparently holding her hands was more a problem then being brought up short by wearing a body harness and leash.   :green:  Anyway, you should have seen the dirty looks we got from SOME people at seeing a toddler on a leash. ::)  Of course we also got a lot of compliments for solving a problem that many a parent faced.  Also when we were walking on a road, that leash was my peace of mind for a "dart into traffic" kind of toddler that Amber was.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2007, 04:33:16 PM »
people just can't understand until they are parents themselves.

and many who are parents wish they had done it differently than they did.
Misunderstood.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 04:41:21 PM »

What a well trained little attack critter you have.
 :clap:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 05:35:10 PM »

What a well trained little attack critter you have.
 :clap:

:rofl:

I swear I did not train the little critter to do that, but it did serve the young biddie right for interfering in things she had no understanding of.  She didn't have any children either.

Apparently the young biddie had issues because she had seen her parents physically restrain her younger brothers, who were autistic, when she was a child and did not know why they did it.  I explained to her after my husband and daughter went to the car that some people were not as understanding as she was when my daughter acted out and that we needed to prevent her from acting out for her own protection from these other people.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2007, 05:38:22 PM »
We were lucky in many ways, Amber never really threw fits in restaurants or stores.  She was never as bad as some of the little brats I hear in walmart or supermarkets.  Where I had the most problems from the biddy brigade was when Amber was a toddler and hated holding my hand anywhere.  So I got a body harness used to keep toddlers in a high chair and got a long leash to attach to it.  She could have her hands free and I could use the leash to control how far she could get from me.  Apparently holding her hands was more a problem then being brought up short by wearing a body harness and leash.   :green:  Anyway, you should have seen the dirty looks we got from SOME people at seeing a toddler on a leash. ::)  Of course we also got a lot of compliments for solving a problem that many a parent faced.  Also when we were walking on a road, that leash was my peace of mind for a "dart into traffic" kind of toddler that Amber was.

We had one of those velcro harness leashes when our daughter was little and we found it especially helpful in the airport.  I didn't notice any nasty looks, but I might have been oblivious.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2007, 05:40:15 PM »

And the only people who are worse than childless people are people with "perfect" children who never did what your child is doing.  They think they know all the answers.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2007, 05:43:48 PM »

And the only people who are worse than childless people are people with "perfect" children who never did what your child is doing.  They think they know all the answers.
QFT!

but i am hesitant to believe that any child is perfect.  i think that it is a public facade.  there has to have been some very hard work going on behind closed doors.
Misunderstood.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2007, 06:18:08 PM »

We had one of those velcro harness leashes when our daughter was little and we found it especially helpful in the airport.  I didn't notice any nasty looks, but I might have been oblivious.

My wife and I rather found those amusing.

'Course, we would taunt the little leashed buggers.