Educational

Author Topic: How much about this fucking WAR should I tell my young son?  (Read 3475 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: How much about this fucking WAR should I tell my young son?
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2007, 08:14:06 AM »

Also, you could explain to them that primary school teachers aren't exactly the brightest apples in the barrel.  I remember them being as thick as shit when I was at school, and incapable of critical thought or understanding of subjects more advanced than finger painting and addition. 

One of the practical problems I have been working out is, believe it or not, controlling his lack of respect for his teachers intelligence. He is very questioning of things that he finds curious and expects a complete resolve and coordination with what he already knows. His teachers don't give him that, sometimes, and he gets out of hand. This is a "tiptoe area" subject, because I don't want him jumping up and yelling at his teachers, anymore.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2007, 08:16:11 AM »
Which is a good reminder for why I decided long ago that it's best to avoid talking to anyone when I'm feeling shit like this.  It never turns out well.

Lucky for you we're not young kids.  :)
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Litigious

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »
My father was a devoted social democrat when I was a kid. I strongly opposed his political views, but at the same time I admired his courage. There once was a drunk driver that smashed into a rock outside our house when I was about 10 years old. My father testified against the drunk in court. He said that "If this irresponsible bastard had hit one of my sons instead of the rock, we wouldn't have had this trial today." "How is that?", the judge asked. "Because he wouldn't have been alive. There might have been a trial, but not against him." That was a pretty un-Swedish thing to say, especially in court.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2007, 08:17:59 AM »
Not really.  It gets them questioning both sides until they find their own version of the truth, and gives them an explanation for why the truth from some people's perspective may not be reliable, and teaches them that someone, somewhere, is full of shit.

Depends how old your kid is and how tolerant your reaction is when they start questioning your deeply held beliefs. A young kid isn't going to follow all the logic of your rant, but will learn to mimic your emotional reaction.

Which is a good reminder for why I decided long ago that it's best to avoid talking to anyone when I'm feeling shit like this.  It never turns out well.

No, Peter, it is good food for thought to toss around, which is what we are doing. It is a value to me to have contact with so many recently educated young people. Please, continue your thoughts.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2007, 08:20:45 AM »
My father was a devoted social democrat when I was a kid. I strongly opposed his political views, but at the same time I admired his courage. There once was a drunk driver that smashed into a rock outside our house when I was about 10 years old. My father testified against the drunk in court. He said that "If this irresponsible bastard had hit one of my sons instead of the rock, we wouldn't have had this trial today." "How is that?", the judge asked. "Because he wouldn't have been alive. There might have been a trial, but not against him." That was a pretty un-Swedish thing to say, especially in court.
I like that, but I also believe in the feeling he projected to the court.

Litigious

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2007, 08:27:28 AM »

I actually think the drunk was freed, because he claimed that he was sober when the accident happened but drank some booze out of a bottle he had in the car after the accident. I don't know if he would have gotten away with that in the US, but that kind of things are possible in Sweden. If they don't have like 100% proof, you go free, except if you're accused of attacking the government and authorities. Then you'll get a very hard punishment, usually much harder than if you did something against another citizen.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2007, 08:28:42 AM »
Not really.  It gets them questioning both sides until they find their own version of the truth, and gives them an explanation for why the truth from some people's perspective may not be reliable, and teaches them that someone, somewhere, is full of shit.

Depends how old your kid is and how tolerant your reaction is when they start questioning your deeply held beliefs. A young kid isn't going to follow all the logic of your rant, but will learn to mimic your emotional reaction.

No, Peter, it is good food for thought to toss around, which is what we are doing. It is a value to me to have contact with so many recently educated young people. Please, continue your thoughts.

My thoughts at the moment are mostly to do with violence and puking.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2007, 08:35:52 AM »
That would be the difference then, I expect. You come back.

Your father didn't? That's terrible. What did you do?

... I mean, right then, when you were standing there, all hallowed out from your fathers extreme show of humanity and the weaknesses it implies?.

In the particular case I'm thinking of, my mother (who'd also been involved in the discussion) attempted to continue it for a few more minutes, and out-calmed me, so I went crying and running off to my respective corner and didn't bring up the subject with them again.

That's sad. I may be a basketcase, but I don't leave them hanging for long. I try to show them as much respect as possible, regarding their lack of ability to interpret quickly, emotionally impactful things. My son is easily overloaded with strong emotions, too and goes into mroe introverted behaviors.
... like a swinging tightrope at times.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2007, 08:37:49 AM »

I actually think the drunk was freed, because he claimed that he was sober when the accident happened but drank some booze out of a bottle he had in the car after the accident. I don't know if he would have gotten away with that in the US, but that kind of things are possible in Sweden. If they don't have like 100% proof, you go free, except if you're accused of attacking the government and authorities. Then you'll get a very hard punishment, usually much harder than if you did something against another citizen.

:litigious:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2007, 08:40:15 AM »

My thoughts at the moment are mostly to do with violence and puking.

UGH! Sorry to hear it. I've had lots of coffee - I'm better.

While your thinking about it, how can I make them all violently puke for starting to build a nest in my son's mind!!

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2007, 08:45:04 AM »
That's sad. I may be a basketcase, but I don't leave them hanging for long. I try to show them as much respect as possible, regarding their lack of ability to interpret quickly, emotionally impactful things. My son is easily overloaded with strong emotions, too and goes into mroe introverted behaviors.
... like a swinging tightrope at times.

My family doesn't do emotion. This discussion I'm referring to was the last time I tried to get through to them. I was 17, not a kid. I checked, and I was remembering wrong. I didn't actually run off crying that time, my mother eventually said "this conversation isn't going anywhere," I said "all right" and left.

I don't know. How do you handle it when everyone involved is a hypersensitive spaz? The theory says walk away until you're calm and then talk about it more, but that's a lot of time-consuming desensitization work when every time you talk, things just spiral out of control again. The only viable solution I've found is to cut contact.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2007, 08:48:28 AM »

Also, you could explain to them that primary school teachers aren't exactly the brightest apples in the barrel.  I remember them being as thick as shit when I was at school, and incapable of critical thought or understanding of subjects more advanced than finger painting and addition. 

One of the practical problems I have been working out is, believe it or not, controlling his lack of respect for his teachers intelligence. He is very questioning of things that he finds curious and expects a complete resolve and coordination with what he already knows. His teachers don't give him that, sometimes, and he gets out of hand. This is a "tiptoe area" subject, because I don't want him jumping up and yelling at his teachers, anymore.

why does it seem that one solution only leads to another problem?

perneting is a bitch.  then you die and they take your money.
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2007, 08:50:45 AM »
 :laugh: But then you're dead, so what does it matter?

So long as you can raise your kids not to be assassins, you should be okay.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2007, 09:01:25 AM »
:laugh: But then you're dead, so what does it matter?

So long as you can raise your kids not to be assassins, you should be okay.
what about mindless sheep thought assassins?
Misunderstood.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2007, 09:04:12 AM »
Well, that might be okay.