Educational

Author Topic: How much about this fucking WAR should I tell my young son?  (Read 3385 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: How much about this fucking WAR should I tell my young son?
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2007, 09:13:23 AM »

Also, you could explain to them that primary school teachers aren't exactly the brightest apples in the barrel.  I remember them being as thick as shit when I was at school, and incapable of critical thought or understanding of subjects more advanced than finger painting and addition. 

One of the practical problems I have been working out is, believe it or not, controlling his lack of respect for his teachers intelligence. He is very questioning of things that he finds curious and expects a complete resolve and coordination with what he already knows. His teachers don't give him that, sometimes, and he gets out of hand. This is a "tiptoe area" subject, because I don't want him jumping up and yelling at his teachers, anymore.

why does it seem that one solution only leads to another problem?

perneting is a bitch.  then you die and they take your money.
I love the irony of what you said.

There's no way I am going to hinder his creative thinking, if I can keep from it and as Peter observed, there is a lot of room to allow him to learn to doubt and question authority, even "mine". I want to help him learn to make his own decisions without standing on someone else's base, choosing his own bias. Learning a few difficult social protocols for school is hindrance enough, already, I think. Finding the balance, between the two, is where he needs the most help.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 09:15:04 AM by Calamity Jane »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2007, 09:29:45 AM »

Also, you could explain to them that primary school teachers aren't exactly the brightest apples in the barrel.  I remember them being as thick as shit when I was at school, and incapable of critical thought or understanding of subjects more advanced than finger painting and addition. 

One of the practical problems I have been working out is, believe it or not, controlling his lack of respect for his teachers intelligence. He is very questioning of things that he finds curious and expects a complete resolve and coordination with what he already knows. His teachers don't give him that, sometimes, and he gets out of hand. This is a "tiptoe area" subject, because I don't want him jumping up and yelling at his teachers, anymore.

There's no way I am going to hinder his creative thinking, if I can keep from it and as Peter observed, there is a lot of room to allow him to learn to doubt and question authority, even "mine". I want to help him learn to make his own decisions without standing on someone else's base, choosing his own bias. Learning a few difficult social protocols for school is hindrance enough, already, I think. Finding the balance, between the two, is where he needs the most help.
that is what i am searching for the most.
Misunderstood.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2007, 09:32:42 AM »
I'm reminded of something my mom told me about myself as a kid, but I don't even remember.  I was born in 1986, so I must have been 5 or 6.  Anyway, my mom says that she used to ask me (in front of people) "Why is there a war on?"

"Oil!"  I'd reply.

The 6-year-old jaded hippie.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2007, 09:34:41 AM »

that is what i am searching for the most.

Amen, brother.

I think we just closed the thread.

... but, I put this in the "free for all forum" for a reason, in spite of it being very personal.

I hope others will be inclined to comment, further. I would value input from several who have not shown up, today, yet.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2007, 09:35:31 AM »
I'm reminded of something my mom told me about myself as a kid, but I don't even remember.  I was born in 1986, so I must have been 5 or 6.  Anyway, my mom says that she used to ask me (in front of people) "Why is there a war on?"

"Oil!"  I'd reply.

The 6-year-old jaded hippie.

You were a treasure!

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2007, 09:54:07 AM »
I always hated the teachers for being ignorant, stupid, bullying twats.  My bitterness towards them has faded over the years, but it's still there, and resurfaces occasionally.  I remember the primary school teacher who thought that shellfish were actual fish.  There was the teacher who, when I was coming out of a bout of severe depression that nobody had noticed, told me that I'd 'grown up', and all the others who completely failed to notice my glaringly obvious problems, and who put it down to stupidity and a lack of application, even when my mum approached them about it.  I also remember being sent to the headmaster for wearing brown boots instead of black ones various times during a dress code purge, and the petty authoritarianism sickened me.  Even now, I want to hunt down and kick the crap out of some of my teachers, and then tell them what pathetic, petty, stupid shits they are.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Litigious

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2007, 10:18:49 AM »
 :agreed: :plus:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2007, 10:24:20 AM »

I am more than double your age, Peter and those urges are still there, to a degree. It seems that there was always another fight to have to get through and you seldom get the chance to go back and finish the old ones, that you missed. You will eventually learn an enhanced appreciation for the obituary pages.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2007, 10:27:38 AM »

I am more than double your age, Peter and those urges are still there, to a degree. It seems that there was always another fight to have to get through and you seldom get the chance to go back and finish the old ones, that you missed. You will eventually learn an enhanced appreciation for the obituary pages.

Just as long as they say "Had his legs hacked off by a disgruntled ex-pupil" and not "Died peacefully in his sleep".
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Litigious

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2007, 10:28:40 AM »
What a wonderful world it'd be if you could get even on all those useless cowardly no-good power-abusing creeps.  :evillaugh: :angel:

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2007, 10:35:44 AM »
...you mean, like starting some sort of multiple-killing type action?

Almost like a little war?

It's interesting to think of how little non-self-directed hate I actually harbor in comparison to other people.  I'm noticing this more and more, not just on here but in real life.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2007, 10:40:09 AM »

It's interesting to think of how little non-self-directed hate I actually harbor in comparison to other people.  I'm noticing this more and more, not just on here but in real life.

Can you turn any of that self-directed hate to some more useful direction?

... maybe join in a little fantasy teacher shredding?

... are you an, as yet, unidentified ex-pupil?

Litigious

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2007, 10:40:47 AM »

YES!!! :arrr:

duncvis

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2007, 10:47:41 AM »
I always hated the teachers for being ignorant, stupid, bullying twats.  My bitterness towards them has faded over the years, but it's still there, and resurfaces occasionally.  I remember the primary school teacher who thought that shellfish were actual fish.  There was the teacher who, when I was coming out of a bout of severe depression that nobody had noticed, told me that I'd 'grown up', and all the others who completely failed to notice my glaringly obvious problems, and who put it down to stupidity and a lack of application, even when my mum approached them about it.  I also remember being sent to the headmaster for wearing brown boots instead of black ones various times during a dress code purge, and the petty authoritarianism sickened me.  Even now, I want to hunt down and kick the crap out of some of my teachers, and then tell them what pathetic, petty, stupid shits they are.

I maintained a simmering hate towards several staff members from my middle school for many years, playing out violent fantasies in my head regarding one particular sadist. Its lessened over the years as I've finally moved on I guess; I'd still piss in his beer if I met him in a pub, but I wouldn't put him in hospital, which ten years ago I might well have. Little Hitlers.  :headexplode:

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2007, 10:48:36 AM »

Can you turn any of that self-directed hate to some more useful direction?

... maybe join in a little fantasy teacher shredding?

... are you an, as yet, unidentified ex-pupil?

I've had too damn many teachers.  Anyway, I've discovered that it's much more socially acceptable to internalize, and you'll go father in life harming yourself than harming others (unless you're either very covert or very rich; I'm neither).