Educational

Author Topic: i have given up drinking for good  (Read 1129 times)

Scrapheap

Re: i have given up drinking for good
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2007, 01:55:48 PM »
I just came from the liquor store. I bought a bottle of Gentleman Jack instead of my usual single malt. Let's see what it tastes like. It costs about $50 here for 70 cl.

Can you get Knob Creek Bourbon over there ??

Litigious

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »
I just came from the liquor store. I bought a bottle of Gentleman Jack instead of my usual single malt. Let's see what it tastes like. It costs about $50 here for 70 cl.

Can you get Knob Creek Bourbon over there ??

I think so, but I'll probably have to order it specially. It doesn't cost anything in addition, though it might take a week or so to get it.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 03:10:36 PM »
i like my jack over ice, with a splash of diet coke.
Misunderstood.

richard

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2007, 04:23:42 PM »
ive relapsed already!!, this cant be good. thank god im only drinking budweiser

duncvis

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2007, 05:00:53 PM »
How bad are the alcohol taxes in Sweden Lit? Ours are bad enough, compared to France and Belgium but not ridiculous. The extortionate alcohol tax seems to be a Nordic thing - maybe they think it will make booze too dear to drink yourself silly in the dark winter months?

Tip to Richard - drink decent beer, the hangover isn't as bad. Its all the adjuncts and crap that get you in the morning.

Litigious

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2007, 05:03:39 PM »
How bad are the alcohol taxes in Sweden Lit? Ours are bad enough, compared to France and Belgium but not ridiculous. The extortionate alcohol tax seems to be a Nordic thing - maybe they think it will make booze too dear to drink yourself silly in the dark winter months?

I think it's 40% tax or something like that. The tax on food is 25%. Yes, they think the taxes will stop people from drinking. But we can easily get the booze in Denmark or Germany or make it at home. Many Swedes actually make their own booze. As I say, they're not cowards with everything.  8)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2007, 06:42:48 PM »

I think it's 40% tax or something like that. The tax on food is 25%. Yes, they think the taxes will stop people from drinking. But we can easily get the booze in Denmark or Germany or make it at home. Many Swedes actually make their own booze. As I say, they're not cowards with everything.  8)
25% for food.

what, do they expect people to stop eatling also?
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2007, 01:26:10 AM »

25% for food.

what, do they expect people to stop eatling also?

We have an overall 25% VAT. A few things are taxed lower, though, like books (6%), but booze is 40% and gas is 88%, if I remember correctly. There is a double tax of some kind on gas, which in the end makes it 88%. The tobacco tax is also higher, but I don't remember how much. Since 1 January this year every cigar or cigarillo is 1 krona more expensive though (about 15 cents).

There actually was a debate whether unhealthy food should be taxed higher but so far that hasn't happened.

A Swede who earns $50000/year pays about 40% income tax. But with the VAT and all other taxes it becomes 60-70% in reality, that goes back to the state. Even if you earn as little as $10000/year, you still have to pay about 20% local tax. :(

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2007, 03:41:08 AM »

There actually was a debate whether unhealthy food should be taxed higher but so far that hasn't happened.

[/quote]
There was/is a huge movement to do that, here and they have already defined "Snack food" as unhealthy. Some are already benefitting from a loophole in the law. There is "no tax on food" in this country, but if you own a convenience store, or any low profit/high volume business, you are practicing good business, by trying to extract every fraction of your customer's dollars to keeep for yourself and avoid taxes. One way they can fudge things in their favor is to buy goods from a tax exempt supplier and now, with the new definitions, taking drinks, candy bars, and bags of chips out of the food exemption status, they get to charge customers an extra penny or two and keep it. Not really a big deal to most shop owners, but if you own Walmart you have many milllions in collected, but unpaid back taxes already.

I don't mind the sin taxes, so much, but if it goes in your mouth and you can swallow it, it should be called "food". We can re-define our sins in another bill, as they change or evolve.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 03:45:21 AM by Calamity Jane »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2007, 03:45:41 AM »
I don't mind the sin taxes, so much, but if it goes in your mouth and you can swallow it, it should be called "food". We can re-define our sins in another bill, as they change or evolve.

Eh, one can eat lots of things which aren't food though. Liquor, cigarettes, crayons...

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2007, 03:54:47 AM »
Remember, it is the pursuit that these lawmakers and lobbies are responding to and over-pursuit would be a sin, of course. Eating crayons, underwear, or an accidental insect or two is incidental and not considered by most law.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 04:01:28 AM by Calamity Jane »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2007, 08:28:26 AM »
i drank 14 beers yesterday and 2 shots of vodka. im suprised i didnt tear my stoumach in half from vomiting. :laugh:
so now the only beer for me? rootbeer. :clap:

A lie if I have ever heard one.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2007, 08:34:47 AM »
ive relapsed already!!, this cant be good. thank god im only drinking budweiser

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2007, 03:40:22 PM »
Of course you relapsed. Did you seriously expect anyone to believe you quit for good?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2007, 05:07:15 PM »
People do manage it now and then.
I shall...when I die.