Author Topic: British Aspie site  (Read 9919 times)

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
Re: British Aspie site
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2007, 06:55:26 PM »
Sounds brilliant

She is giving a talk over here but it costs £70-odd  :'(

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2007, 07:05:11 PM »
Sounds brilliant

She is giving a talk over here but it costs £70-odd  :'(

That sounds like a lot of money.  I guess Temple Grandin would need to recoup her travel expenses and some fee and the people sponsoring it would need to recoup the costs of the venue, but even still, that is a lot of money.  This talk I went to was free, but the church group was sponsoring it and we met in their church.  She did not have to travel far at all to give this talk.  She was promoting her book Animals in Translation, I think.  At least they had copies of it and Thinking in Pictures there for sale.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Professionals are being charged £100!

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2007, 07:10:30 PM »
Professionals are being charged £100!

What kind of talk is this, anyway?  Who could afford to pay those prices?

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2007, 07:19:37 PM »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2007, 04:02:12 AM »
Lol Touche! 

I never said I didn't have NT in me - I just hate that aspect of me

Or more like I take it in turns to hate the NT part or the AS part in rotation!

Unless it's part of the DSM or seriously discussed by known researchers, it's just more of your BS. I'm sick and tired of your mo, where you label anything that you disapprove of as "NT". Grow the fuck up and understand that PEOPLE are different. Who made you the authority on AS behaviour anyway?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2007, 04:45:16 AM »
I think you said it with so much more power intensity than I could muster. This is what I was trying to say with my very first post in response to her, uhm, OK ... BS. She insulted and tried to shock me (possibly? ... can't think of any other reason to post what she posted next) without knowing anything about how much living and dying I've seen of this world or how close to impossible it would be to even get my attention, saying nothing, yet, of actually shocking me in any way.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:51:27 AM by Calamity Jane »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2007, 04:48:05 AM »
Ok point taken

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2007, 05:02:19 AM »

You had an oppurtuntiy to do great things. You actually gathered the attention of several people, here. I can think of no greater waste of self than the squandering of another's attention span. I wish you recovery.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2007, 01:09:26 PM »
I rebelled to gain peer acceptance at school.  When I was 9, I used to answer the register with "yo" instead of yes".  It made everybody laugh, because the teacher screamed and went so nuts.  She told me if I did it on friday I would go to the head.  SO on friday when she said my name I jumped out of my chair, and started dancing and reciting a song I had heard
"yo, ill give it ya, no triva, rolled like cocaine straight from bolivia".   She went NUTS shouting crazlyly and pointing at me wildly, and I went to the head.  But everybody was laughing at (with?) me, so I went down happy.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2007, 07:11:48 PM »
What arrogance!

At least I can own up to my faults!

Who says I wanted the attention anyway??

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2007, 07:17:31 PM »
maybe you were viewed as being arrogant when you made your AS criteria's and dx's.
owning up to your faults is one thing.  doing something productive about them is quite another.

we all want attention.  you were right though, you can keep a thread running very well.  you just happen to be better about getting attention than others.

an NT quality?  ;)
Misunderstood.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2007, 07:30:10 PM »
Hmmm

I have a certain amount of the NT in me, for sure

I am trying to improve myself - I see a psychotherapist every week and we work on anger management lol

Sometimes it works, sometimes not.... :laugh:

And I am trying to find another job, so I can be more productive

I've also applied to join the mental health action group with a view to attending council service user
meetings, to put an AS viewpoint, as there are currently no specific services for people with AS in my town

duncvis

« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2007, 02:35:39 AM »
Hopefully they'll realise your AS viewpoint isn't necessarily representative of all aspies.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2007, 02:46:25 AM »
Is there something intrinsically wrong with my viewpoint as opposed to yours/the one on this site then?

If I'm going to the effort of getting my viewpoint across, that's what they will hear -
If that inspires you to get your own viewpoint heard on your own local council, to give a more 'balanced'/drunk/drugged?? AS view, that's all the better Dunc  ;)

I'm sure they have the intelligence to work out for themselves that I'm not ALL people with AS

Don't worry tho, the process has been so agonisingly slow so far i don't expect to be making an appearance at a
meeting anytime soon!