Author Topic: CHIRP!  (Read 16238 times)

Soph

Re: CHIRP!
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »
you should like
i like
sophie likes

therefore it is good  8)

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »
you should like
i like
sophie likes

therefore it is good  8)
And me likes also!   ;D
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2008, 09:53:48 PM »
I'd probably need to understand German,
to enjoy. Lyrics mean a lot to me.

Soph

« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2008, 10:05:05 PM »
Lyrics are usually important to me
There are english translations online, but it's not the same because they're direct translations and obviously it's not all meant to be taken literally, so you can't fully understand it unless you understand German. But I like some of the lyrics as best as I can understand. I remember showing Sophie the lyrics site when she bought Mutter and Reise Reise.

Soph

« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2008, 10:05:56 PM »
you should like
i like
sophie likes

therefore it is good  8)
And me likes also!   ;D
good!  8)

duncvis

« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2008, 04:30:48 AM »
And me likes. You guys should check out Tanzwut as well.  8)

Offline Tristeza

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2008, 11:25:17 AM »
Lyrics are usually important to me
There are english translations online, but it's not the same because they're direct translations and obviously it's not all meant to be taken literally, so you can't fully understand it unless you understand German. But I like some of the lyrics as best as I can understand. I remember showing Sophie the lyrics site when she bought Mutter and Reise Reise.
Those English translations seem fucked-up to me!  I'd never read them before, and I finally read one the other day.  Can't remember which one, but it didn't exactly fit what I'd picked up from listening.  My German isn't great, but I could still tell that the English translation was too literal.  Made it less romantic and more just plain scary.

Soph

« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2008, 11:27:06 AM »
I think that too, if you read through thm while listening to it and trying to work it out yourself as you go along, it makes a bit more sense, as you can see where it's been direclty translated and is more literal than it's meant to be, but it still doesn't make sense unless you speak german properly I guess. and I don't lol

I ahve heard of Tanzwut, I've never listened to them though
I like a few german industrial/metal bands

Offline Tristeza

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2008, 11:32:17 AM »
German translated into English is always so fucked-up anyway, and it's usually hilarious!  Especially because of the sentence structure.  My German teacher told us to go to a German furniture website and click on the English translation.  It was unbelievable.   :laugh:  They'd just put it through some kind of program that translated word-for-word without changing the sentence structure.  I'd never laughed so hard in my life - I used to go to the website all the time when I was in a shitty mood and needed a laugh!  They finally corrected it though, and I was so disappointed. 

Soph

« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2008, 11:39:44 AM »
you might like this german - english translation:  :laugh:

I dunno how accurate it is, but it sounds weird :P

Man against man
My skin belongs to the gentlemen
Man against man
Birds of a feather flock together

Soph

« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2008, 11:43:11 AM »
It's beautiful when she swims the breaststroke
Then I can see into her core
Not that the breast is what's beautiful
I just swim after her
Sparking dust flows from the center
A firework shoots from her crotch

:orly:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2008, 12:42:48 PM »
A firework shoots from her crotch

Now that would be a neat trick :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2008, 01:03:42 PM »
Sounds like, if I understood them,
I'd not much like them.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2008, 08:16:21 PM »
So, I listened to the first one.
It definitely HAS music IN it.
But, I'm not sure that it IS music.

And, I don't necessarily dislike.

Anything that can be scored musically on paper is defined as music.  Your ethnocentric view seems very weak in regards to rap music as some of it can be performed by live musicians and is just another performing style.   Rammstein doesn't really use rap beats, they are more electronica dance related.   You said dance music is just noise earlier?   That is fucking stupid.    I will have to inform those that play the Waltz of your opinion.   Same goes for jazz swing music, might as well get the Brian Setzer orchestra as well to stop playing.   That is if you think dance music isn't music.   Salsa and samba music might as well go to hell too lol.   

Rammstein has a real person performing electronic drums, not a machine.   Drum machines are lame to me.   Anything programmed is lame and I prefer live performances as they can showcase the real physical skill of the performers if the material is complex and difficult enough.

Metal bands are shit live?   Iron Maiden was good when I saw them.   Lynyrd Skynyrd sucked a few of the times I saw them (though they were awesome one time).  I have seen numerous mistakes at Bluegrass and Jazz festivals.   Mistakes and getting screwed by the soundman are two different things entirely.   I would say that metal bands and sucking live are not exclusive.  95% is a really high figure, seems you are highly biased in that regard.   

The only live bands that I have seen that really sucked on more than one song were Incantation, Dope and the one time I saw Nirvana in 10th grade.   Kurt Cobain was so wasted that all he did was barely do vocals, Pat Smear did most of the work on guitar.   It was pathetic.  The Breeders opened for Nirvana and someone threw their shoe at Kim Deal lol.   The Breeders were more tight live than Nirvana, but the kids wanted them off stage and for Nirvana to play.   That was the biggest live disappointment I have ever seen.   That wasn't a metal band either.   

Other than that Skynyrd's drummer seemed to not even play during a part of the solo when I saw them before a Jaguars game a few years ago.   Really I haven't seen too many big fuck ups from the bigger bands.  U2 was good when I saw them as were the Rolling Stones.   Metallica and Pantera  were both really tight live when I got to see them.   I think I have been fortunate from a live show perspective as I have seen and heard bigger mistakes from live recordings (DVDs and CDs) than when I saw the band live myself.   Emperor was perfect when I saw them, but they had the volume down on one guitar big time on the DVD my friend has (got fixed halfway through the first song). 

You seem to dislike the distortion and tone of metal guitar.   I prefer it to punk music and most rock music as far as distortion goes.  It just has a much fatter bottom end that masks the basslines at times.  Metal has an edge to its sound that can be overdone with distortion but every rock related genre always has bands with too much distortion.   Distortion and the electric guitar were a part of the movement to more modern music.  The actual musician is going to be taken out of music in some cases.   Even the clean stuff is oversaturated with effects in some regards.   Then you are just left with acoustic playing, which can get old after a while to me (just like everything else).

I prefer bands with people actually drumming.   I didn't support Samael's movement to drum machines only for example.   Sampling can be very overdone as well.   Pro-tools and other modern recording software have changed the way music is made forever, no matter what you consider music or not.   So much looping and cutting and pasting takes the real talent out of musicianship.   You can't play that riff every time in a song flawlessly?   Then don't record it and copy the damn thing.   That is why you see so many shit live bands.   Most pop/rock bands I see these days suck ass when they play live.   Modern production is so fucking saturated with effects it is stupid.  This goes for most genres of modern music.  The people that are the most pathetic have to lip synch live of course.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2008, 08:23:01 PM »
When I made the claim of 'dance music' not being so,
obviously I didn't mean all music that people dance to.
I meant the (c)rap that goes by that name. Essentially
just beat, and no melody.

I have nothing against distortion, used within music.
Nor necessarily outside of music. I just won't qualify
it as being music, just because it's done on a musical
instrument. A guy blowing through a hole in a piano
ain't playing the piano.