Author Topic: CHIRP!  (Read 16243 times)

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: CHIRP!
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2008, 10:32:44 AM »
Music requires melody.
Kinda defined that way.

Rammstein, like most of what
modern 'metal' has fallen to,
is just (c)Rap, with slight differences
in vocal presentation.

Like 'R&B' something awful has taken over
the name of something that was once good.

Getting old huh? :laugh:   At least that's what my kids say about me when I say such things
I know!  He went into an old man on the porch rant there for a minute.  Fits well with the pipe-smoking image, though.   :laugh:
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »
Fuck. Ok.

1st up, up until two weeks ago I was playing bass in a metal band. I know what fucking metal is.

Next, when did I ever say I thought Tool was the best band in existence? I happened to be wearing a Tool t-shirt in my old avatar.
Big shit.

I said I liked Rammstein but I didn't really consider it music. I was taking the piss a bit because they have an undeservedly large following.
But the noise part, as with much metal, I'm referring to the amount of sound which washes out all timbre except an unmelodious distortion and the bass drum, with the odd lyric escaping here and there.
Their recordings may be ok, but metal bands sound shit live 95% of the time.

I study sound art at university so my ideas of "noise" are probably a bit too complex for you to comprehend, fuckface.

Wagner is epic, over the top; which is why I don't enjoy it. I mean I AM open minded, I'll listen to ANYTHING but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy CDs or see performances of his work. Dvorak is more my cup of tea.

Austria and Germany are very similar, does not mean they are the same thing.

Oh shit, I think Pea is rubbing off on me :(
The melody aspect of Rammstein is very basic, but it exists.   Mostly the melody is keyboards though.  It isn't atonal chromatic chaos by any means.

Go ahead and state your concept of "noise".  I am sure I can comprehend it and I doubt it is as complex as you think.   Noise has to be pretty damn random to me for the music itself to be actually considered noise.   Just because there are noises contained in the music, it doesn't mean that the entire song itself is comprised of noise.

Rhythmic music is still music, even though there is very basic melody.   I do prefer stuff like Kalmah and Children of Bodom myself, which has plenty of melody but is not German.   I stated Necrophagist just due to their guitar playing being unique and skillfully played.

The amount of sound doesn't wash out melody at all for me, I can hear it easily.   It is called having chord progressions and related melodic patterns.   Would you call Iron Maiden noise?   The concept of a great deal of melodic death metal is just greatly sped up and lower tuned Iron Maiden type guitar.   Same goes for most power metal except it isn't tuned down.   You use noise too broadly in my opinion.   I am very aware that some metal guitarists make "noise" solos but those are more based off of sounds that are frequency based and more than often follow the overall tonality of the song.   That is a big part of expression on electric guitar and what makes it unique.   

There are several things on that page that deal with the concept of noise and its presence in almost every form of recorded music.   Noise is in music, but the actual genre of Noise is different somewhat.   Tom Morello does noise solos all the damn time for example, but Rage isn't really a metal band imo.  Dragonforce has noise sections in their solos as well.   That doesn't mean the entire catalogue of their songs are comprised of noise.   Pick scrapes done by Tool would be considered noise.   Most of the sonic shit Hendrix did can be considered noise as well.

Noise is inevitable in any mechanical recording device, even the most advanced digital ones. A slight noise floor, though nearly unperceptable, is the price for transforming a continuous analogue signal into a digital one consisting of a limited number of discreet value steps.
from this link: 
http://www.noize-concept.de/index.html?./stpages/history01.html

Austria and Germany are more than just similar.  They often fight beside eachother in war and share history via the many people that migrated between the two countries.   Austria was the first country Hitler annexed.   Austria/Hungary started WW1 but the Germans stepped in to help them.   They might as well be the same thing culturally in some respects.   Austrian and German classical composers influenced eachother greatly.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2008, 04:44:45 PM »
Not arguing the historical data, of course.  Just saying that all my German friends dislike Austrians personally, and vice versa.   :-\
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2008, 08:00:22 PM »
It makes me lol when metal heads proclaim to have a broad taste in music:

"I like death metal, power metal, dance metal, melodic death metal, black metal, speed metal, true metal, metalcore.....etc etc"

Listen to some music.  ::)

As for noise, my concept of noise isn't very complex, I was just being an arse.
I was using the word noise in the sense of sound pollution.

Noise is incoherent sound.

Noise as a genre is simply experimental music made up of one or more noises.

Sonic Youth's 'Providence' from their album Daydream Nation would be an example of noise used in music. I believe the noise used is the sound of a tube amplifier cooking itself :)

Guitar solos are all about :wanker: in front of people.
I like noise guitar solos, because it isn't so much about the guitarist masturbating. The singer/guitarist from my metal band added a momentary off switch to his axe, and used it in his noise solos. They were not musical at all, following no tonality. They were just noise.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2008, 08:03:03 PM »
I like classical guitar solos.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2008, 08:05:38 PM »

The_P

« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2008, 03:17:58 AM »

"I like death metal, power metal, dance metal, melodic death metal, black metal, speed metal, true metal, metalcore.....etc etc"

Listen to some music. 

Agreed. +

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2008, 06:34:47 AM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0

Best guitar solo I ever saw. This guy used to live in Manjimup WA. Not far from where I used to live and where Renaeden and Gallieo Ace live.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #189 on: January 18, 2008, 10:13:28 AM »

Listen to some music.  ::)

As for noise, my concept of noise isn't very complex, I was just being an arse.
I was using the word noise in the sense of sound pollution.

Noise is incoherent sound.

Noise as a genre is simply experimental music made up of one or more noises.

Sonic Youth's 'Providence' from their album Daydream Nation would be an example of noise used in music. I believe the noise used is the sound of a tube amplifier cooking itself :)

Guitar solos are all about :wanker: in front of people.
I like noise guitar solos, because it isn't so much about the guitarist masturbating. The singer/guitarist from my metal band added a momentary off switch to his axe, and used it in his noise solos. They were not musical at all, following no tonality. They were just noise.
I enjoy more than just metal as far as music goes, it is just the genre I choose to advertise listening to more than the others due to its ability to repel people and get overlooked.  It is also what I play on guitar most of the time.   As far as bands outside of metal that I enjoy, there are plenty like Alice in Chains, Primus, RHCP, Radiohead, and a host of other alternative/grunge bands from back when I started playing guitar (14 years ago).   I also enjoy classic rock and have plenty of that on my iPod as well.   Usually when I am listening to music I hit shuffle and there is an equal chance of hearing metal as is there to listen to classical or jazz.   When I am hanging out with my drummer friend in my car or wherever its usually metal as it is the type of music we are writing.   I have listened to every form of music at one time or another.   I even had a time when I was listening to Bluegrass lol.

Noise is not a big deal to me either way as long as it fits in context with the song itself.   Noise as a genre is fucked because the songs are mostly comprised of noises.   Noise is anything that can't be expressed on sheet music technically.

Guitar solos are just a solo on yet another instrument.  I like keyboard, bass, violin, sax and drum solos too.   A solo is showcasing a particular instrument of course.   I don't understand the problem with guitar solos, they can be quite expressive and interesting.   There is nothing wrong with agressive displays of technique and speed as far as I am concerned.   I love CoB's back and forth keyboard and guitar soloing.   Necrophagist does similar things with 2 guitars and a bassist whose solos and play off of eachother.

I am not a big fan of Sonic Youth, they are ok but nothing special.   Their songs are relatively simple with plenty of noise.   They are overrrated.   Fuzzy music that is both slow and simple.   Everyone has heard someone burn out a tube amp at one time or another if they have been playing music long enough.

Your guitarist was trying to be like Tom Morello by having the off switch and doing noise solos all the time.   Having no tonality is funny, but gets anoying after a while.   Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead does his fair share of noise solos.   Trey from Morbid Angel does a ridiculous amount of weird ass noise soloing.   Vai has done his share as well.   While I do enjoy outside of the box playing, I tend to like melodic scalar and modal playing more.   Same goes with any instrument.

Didn't you dog metal because it is supposedly a bunch of noise?   Then you advertise bands that use noise as a central theme or gimmick in their playing.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #190 on: January 18, 2008, 10:16:03 AM »
This band is German.   It is Necrophagist and these are just a couple of solo sections from two different songs.   The first song opens with a bass solo actually.

Soph

« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2008, 03:01:32 PM »
in vocal presentation.
BULLSHIT!

Like 'R&B' something awful has taken over
the name of something that was once good.
i agree that r&b is shit

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2008, 05:26:18 PM »