Educational

Author Topic: what is grosser than gross  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: what is grosser than gross
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2007, 09:08:15 PM »
I bug bombed the first apartment that I rented in Baton Rouge for fleas before I moved into it and killed hundreds of those Pametto bugs.  I think they definitely infested that human habitation.

We have them here too, and they will get inside on occasion, though the house that I live in has never really been infested with them. I have noticed that their activity drops during the winter, when I never see them. --For the most part they live outside.

Did the house that you live in have any holes in the floor, or any way that they could get in through the roof? --I have noticed that they will set up residence under houses down here.

Not that I know of.  Most houses in that part of the country are built as slab on grade, because the water table is so high, so there would be no way for anything to live under most houses there.  It almost never got much below freezing when I lived in Baton Rouge, though, and the Palmetto bugs lived in masses in the storm drains there.

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007, 09:33:07 PM »
Not that I know of.  Most houses in that part of the country are built as slab on grade, because the water table is so high, so there would be no way for anything to live under most houses there.  It almost never got much below freezing when I lived in Baton Rouge, though, and the Palmetto bugs lived in masses in the storm drains there.

South Carolina is quite similar. Houses here are usually either built on a Concrete slab, or they are raised on either Cinderblocks, or brick foundations to provide a crawlspace under the house. The foundation has vents in it, and they usually get in though the vents. SC will occaisionally freeze during the winter. Also, the palmetto bugs do tend to mass in stormdrains here as well. --People here also call them Waterbugs.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2007, 09:51:37 PM »
These are grosser than gross:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2007, 01:24:35 PM »
So far, I prefer the slugs to the two-inch cockroaches that were in the southern USA.

Actually,  American Cockroaches, aka the Palmetto Bugs are quite harmless, they'd much prefer to be outside, and only wander inside occasionally. German Cockroaches on the other hand are bad news.

Why are German cockroaches worse news than those giant Palmetto Bugs? 

They are the ones that infest human habitations, and are quite difficult to get rid of.

I bug bombed the first apartment that I rented in Baton Rouge for fleas before I moved into it and killed hundreds of those Pametto bugs.  I think they definitely infested that human habitation.

how did you know which type of bug it was?
afterall, this was before the internet, right.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2007, 09:27:16 PM »
So far, I prefer the slugs to the two-inch cockroaches that were in the southern USA.

Actually,  American Cockroaches, aka the Palmetto Bugs are quite harmless, they'd much prefer to be outside, and only wander inside occasionally. German Cockroaches on the other hand are bad news.

They are the ones that infest human habitations, and are quite difficult to get rid of.

No, it was not before the internet, but it was before I spent a lot of time on the internet.  I called them "Giant Cockroaches which could fly!"  One of them flew onto someone's face.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 12:30:25 AM »
I called them "Giant Cockroaches which could fly!"

:laugh: Necessity is the mother of invention.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 07:16:41 AM »

No, it was not before the internet, but it was before I spent a lot of time on the internet.  I called them "Giant Cockroaches which could fly!"  One of them flew onto someone's face.

What did the person do when it flew onto their face.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2007, 09:48:10 AM »

What did the person do when it flew onto their face.

A full-body shudder and so did I, even though it did not fly onto my face.

ozymandias

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2007, 10:20:07 AM »
I could tell some stories from my time as an ER orderly, but, I'm just not that type of person! 8)  But, I did have someones blood spurt into my eye once, when I wasn't expecting it. :o

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 11:09:18 AM »
I could tell some stories from my time as an ER orderly, but, I'm just not that type of person! 8)  But, I did have someones blood spurt into my eye once, when I wasn't expecting it. :o

:o

Spill it.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2007, 12:01:46 PM »
Sounds like it's already been spilled.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

ozymandias

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2007, 12:05:00 PM »
Well, not to go into details, but, I was tending to a patient who had fallen and did a small gash in their head.  In examining the wound, I touched a  small swelling near the cut and got zapped in the eye with a spurt of blood.  I immediately ran to the sink and washed my eye out thoroughly (after making sure the patient was safe).

The rest will have to wait!

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
Well, not to go into details, but, I was tending to a patient who had fallen and did a small gash in their head.  In examining the wound, I touched a  small swelling near the cut and got zapped in the eye with a spurt of blood.  I immediately ran to the sink and washed my eye out thoroughly (after making sure the patient was safe).

The rest will have to wait!
i would worry about HIV.

do you wear goggles now?
Misunderstood.

ozymandias

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2007, 01:28:02 PM »
When that happens, protocol dictates, both the patient and I got tested, and we were both cleared.  To be honest, I was more worried about Hepatitis B and C, the patient was NOT at an "at risk for HIV/AIDS".  Early in my career, I met a young (20's) patient whose Liver was destroyed by Hepatitis that they got from being bitten by a "severely retarded" individual at the center that they were working at.  The patient was awaiting a transplant, but, the Jaundice they had was very vivid, the white parts of their eyes was pure yellow and the skin color wasn't far off that either. <shudder>

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2007, 01:48:11 PM »
When that happens, protocol dictates, both the patient and I got tested, and we were both cleared.  To be honest, I was more worried about Hepatitis B and C, the patient was NOT at an "at risk for HIV/AIDS".  Early in my career, I met a young (20's) patient whose Liver was destroyed by Hepatitis that they got from being bitten by a "severely retarded" individual at the center that they were working at.  The patient was awaiting a transplant, but, the Jaundice they had was very vivid, the white parts of their eyes was pure yellow and the skin color wasn't far off that either. <shudder>

If they got a new liver transplanted, would it get hepatitis too?