Author Topic: R.I.P. Eric Medlen  (Read 649 times)

Scrapheap

R.I.P. Eric Medlen
« on: March 19, 2007, 09:11:06 PM »
 Our "B" Team Driver Eric Medlen who drives the AAA sponsored Mustang Funny Car, died while testing today (monday) at Gainsville Raceway Park in Florida. His father, John Medlen is my boss AND the Crewchief for his (late) son. One can only imagine what he's going through having given the final "O.K."  for Eric's car to go down the track.

The word I got was that a rear tire exploded at half track when he was going about 280 MPH.

R.I.P. Eric "Cowboy" Medlen

http://www.nhra.com/content/news/19115.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/nhra/2007-03-19-medlen_N.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=8&id=2804747
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 09:22:56 PM by Scrapheap »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: R.I.P. Eric Medlen
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 09:47:02 PM »

Sorry to hear about this, Scr'eap. I don't think we need another reminder to keep us aware of how dangerous motorsports are. Very sad event.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Scrapheap

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 09:02:45 PM »
Update:

Eric, Unfortunately, didn't go quickly and may have suffered for some time.

The word that I originally got, was that he was D.O.A. Tuns out that he was unconcious and had massive internal head injuries. The did surgery to release the pressure, and they used drugs to induce coma, but he finally passed this morning. In a sense it's probably better for hiom and his family, because if he had lived, he would've been a wheelchair bound vegtable. This would've prolonged everyone's anguish. It's all over now and everybody can have closeure. He was a great guy and a good friend and co-worker. May he finally rest in peace.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 07:33:40 AM »
I'm very sorry, Screpheap.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 12:02:10 PM »
In a way, he died doing what he loved, but it is very sad to think of him suffering.  Maybe the coma that they induced kept him from suffering.

Offline ASpHole

• Uncle Hardcore Meat from The Mothers of Invasion
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Econoclass Iconoclast
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 03:59:46 PM »
Sorry to hear about that. My best wishes to his family.
"When there's no 'there' to get to, we're so there!"

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 04:56:25 PM »

I look back on what I posted and it could be interpreted in many ways ...

I did not mean that you should not have posted this - only, that it is too bad that it happened, again, so soon, again.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Scrapheap

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 05:42:33 PM »
Well they've decided to bury Eric in Brownsburg (Indianapolis) on Wed. , so I'll be flying out of LAX along with all the other office/machine shop personel tommorow morning for the funeral. I should be back Wed evening or Thurs morning.

See you all when I get back !!!

The_P

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 09:52:37 AM »
I find it utterly pretentious to offer condolences towards someone you have no connection with -- especially if it's a dead person.

richard

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 10:29:11 AM »
liek yo dog someone said he wasnt dead!

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 10:32:31 AM »
R.I.P.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 10:52:59 AM »
I find it utterly pretentious to offer condolences towards someone you have no connection with -- especially if it's a dead person.

Why?  You can't feel sorry that someone has lost their friend or loved one?

I don't know how John Medlen felt losing his child, but I know how devastated I felt when I lost my daughter and my mother and I assume that he feels something similar but probably worse, given how it happened.

Scrapheap worked with Eric, and Eric's dad, John Medlen, is his boss.  Attending his funeral and offering condolences is not pretentious.  I think it will make the family feel better to know that the people who attend the funeral cared about Eric.

The_P

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 10:46:36 AM »

I don't know how John Medlen felt losing his child, but I know how devastated I felt when I lost my daughter and my mother and I assume that he feels something similar but probably worse, given how it happened.

Scrapheap worked with Eric, and Eric's dad, John Medlen, is his boss.  Attending his funeral and offering condolences is not pretentious.  I think it will make the family feel better to know that the people who attend the funeral cared about Eric.

What I meant was that I, myself, don't like to offer sympathies towards deceased people I don't know through some internet forum. I leave that to the people who actually knew them and cared about them -- like Scrap.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »

What I meant was that I, myself, don't like to offer sympathies towards deceased people I don't know through some internet forum. I leave that to the people who actually knew them and cared about them -- like Scrap.

Yes, I understand now.  That makes sense to me.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »

how pea discribed is kinda how i feel.
even in real life i wonder how much sympathy i would have.  i have never had anyone close to me die, who wasn't already very elderly.
Misunderstood.