Author Topic: Do YOU do the unthinkable?  (Read 652 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Do YOU do the unthinkable?
« on: March 19, 2007, 09:37:52 AM »
Do YOU...

...drive the speed limit?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:04:57 AM by Neologismgasmic »
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Do YOU do the unthinkable?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 09:41:02 AM »
No.  I try to drive exactly 5 miles above the limit.  I wish my car was computer controlled and I could input an exact speed.  I just have to try and keep it on the pin.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 09:43:29 AM »
No.  I try to drive exactly 5 miles above the limit.  I wish my car was computer controlled and I could input an exact speed.  I just have to try and keep it on the pin.

I try for 5mph too.  People hate me.

The documentary I linked is why I posted, though.  Worth watching.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:17:28 AM by Neologismgasmic »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 10:02:35 AM »
That's really funny.

I think technically, the people in the left lanes were violating the law, which is keep right except to pass.

I could not believe the van that passed on the right shoulder and hit that parked car and just kept going.

duncvis

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 10:35:38 AM »
Do YOU...

...drive the speed limit?

Only on camera.  :angel:

ozymandias

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 10:47:41 AM »
Most of the time.......no.  5-10 mph above except where I see school signs and other areas that look like they keep an eye out.  On the highway going to NY State.  I can come close to 80, most of the time people still pass me! :P  So I say WTF. :evillaugh:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 11:13:07 AM »
The speed I drive depends on the specific situation.

I don't speed at all in school zones where the light is flashing for students coming to school or going home, because I knew a little boy who was severely injured when he was hit by a car and I would probably want to die if I did that to a child.  I watch out for kids in parking lots too, because they could dart out in front of my car like my daughter used to do.  If I see a kid playing anywhere near the road in a residential area, I drive well below the speed limit. 

I do speed on the highway, depending on how fast the other traffic is going and the condition of the road, weather, etc.  I don't care if the other cars are driving too fast for bad conditions, like heavy rain or snow, I will not do it too.  I usually try to keep it to no more than nine miles per hour over the speed limit, even in good conditions.  Of course here in Colorado, the speed limit on interstates is 75 miles per hour, so that is already pretty fast.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »

I don't speed at all in school zones where the light is flashing for students coming to school or going home, because I knew a little boy who was severely injured when he was hit by a car and I would probably want to die if I did that to a child.  I watch out for kids in parking lots too, because they could dart out in front of my car like my daughter used to do.  If I see a kid playing anywhere near the road in a residential area, I drive well below the speed limit. 

I do speed on the highway, depending on how fast the other traffic is going and the condition of the road, weather, etc.  I don't care if the other cars are driving too fast for bad conditions, like heavy rain or snow, I will not do it too.  I usually try to keep it to no more than nine miles per hour over the speed limit, even in good conditions.  Of course here in Colorado, the speed limit on interstates is 75 miles per hour, so that is already pretty fast.

Holy crap!  I'd be terrified!  EVERYONE would be pasing me!  Now the ridiculously high maximum speed on speedometers in cars in America makes a little more sense; it's always puzzled me.  I wonder if anyplace is 80 or higher?

I've only ever hit 80 when listening to Alanis Morisette.  70 feels just about right to me.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 11:23:12 AM »

Holy crap!  I'd be terrified!  EVERYONE would be pasing me!  Now the ridiculously high maximum speed on speedometers in cars in America makes a little more sense; it's always puzzled me.  I wonder if anyplace is 80 or higher?

I've only ever hit 80 when listening to Alanis Morisette.  70 feels just about right to me.

Yes.  There are some stretches of interstates in West Texas in relatively rural areas where the daytime speed limit for cars is 80 miles per hour.

You have to take into account that some of the distances are very large here and there are places on the interstate highways where you can see for long distances, so it is not as scary as you might think at first.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 11:25:05 AM »

Yes.  There are some stretches of interstates in West Texas in relatively rural areas where the daytime speed limit for cars is 80 miles per hour.

You have to take into account that some of the distances are very large here and there are places on the interstate highways where you can see for long distances, so it is not as scary as you might think at first.

That does make sense; Massachusetts roads curve quite a bit.

Litigious

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 11:28:22 AM »
I usually violate the speed limit (as very well known). On an "ordinary" road I usually violate it with about 10 kmph/6mph; on a motorway I violate it with between 10 kmph-30 kmph. Over 30 kmph, they will revoke the license for at least two months and fine me severely; over $500 since October 1th last year (I was lucky to be fined in September, after all). My worst violation of the speed limit was last summer, when I recently had bought my Volvo 850. I drove 200 kmph/125 mph on the motorway, where it's 110 kmph/70 mph.  :angel:

ozymandias

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 11:29:03 AM »
The Mass Pike isn't too bad or curvy.  But, thats where I get a lot of truck passing me when I'm doing 75. :o

My song weakness is AC/DC "Highway to Hell"....it makes me smile. :evillaugh:  Then my daughter laughs........ :evillaugh:

ozymandias

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 11:30:56 AM »
I should also add that I'v made it an art form to stay in a pack that is going over the speed limit, especially on the NY Thruway. :police:

But if conditions are bad, heavy rain, snow or bad visibility, I will tend to keep it at or under the speed limit.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 11:32:47 AM by ozymandias »

Litigious

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 11:38:57 AM »
The speed limit is actually one thing that many people in Sweden really don't respect at all. People actually often give each other signals with the head lights, so that you know there's a speed control on the road.  8)

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 12:08:35 PM »
The Mass Pike isn't too bad or curvy.  But, thats where I get a lot of truck passing me when I'm doing 75. :o

My song weakness is AC/DC "Highway to Hell"....it makes me smile. :evillaugh:  Then my daughter laughs........ :evillaugh:

The "lesser" MA highways do curve somewhat though.