Educational

Author Topic: What a Lovely New Trend  (Read 433 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
What a Lovely New Trend
« on: February 20, 2007, 02:24:14 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/19/homeless.attacks/index.html

By Ashley Fantz
CNN
Adjust font size:
MILWAUKEE, Wisconsin (CNN) -- All Nathan Moore says he wanted to do was smoke pot and get drunk with his friends.

Killing Rex Baum was never part of the plan that day in 2004.

"It all started off as a game," Moore said.

The 15-year-old and his friends were taunting the homeless man -- throwing sticks and leaves -- after having a couple of beers with him.

No big deal, Moore says, but he's sorry for what came next.

It was a mistake, he said, a sudden primal surge that made him and his friends Luis Oyola, 16, and 17-year-old Andrew Ihrcke begin punching and kicking Baum.

"Luis says 'I'm gonna go hit him,' We're all laughing, thought he was joking around,'" but he wasn't, Moore concedes. "We just all started hitting him."

They hurled anything they could find -- rocks, bricks, even Baum's barbecue grill -- and pounded the 49-year-old with a pipe and with the baseball bat he kept at his campsite for protection.

Ihrcke smeared his own feces on Baum's face before cutting him with a knife "to see if he was alive," Moore said.

After destroying Baum's camp, the boys left the homeless man -- head wedged in his own grill -- under a piece of plastic where they hoped the "animals would eat" him.

Then, Moore says, they took off to grab a bite at McDonald's.

Baum's murder was indicative of a disturbing trend.

A National Coalition for the Homeless report says last year, there were 122 attacks and 20 murders against the homeless, the most attacks in nearly a decade. (Coalition report on 2006 homeless attacks)

Police found Baum's body two days after the teens attacked him.

They bragged about it around town. Police picked them up and they described what happened.

Ihrcke told police that killing "the bum" reminded him of playing a violent video game, a police report shows.

All three teens pleaded no contest to first degree reckless homicide charges and went to prison.

Moore recently turned 18 at Columbia Correctional Institution in Portage, Wisconsin, where he is serving a 15 year sentence.

"When [the beating] stops, you say, 'What did we just do?'" he told CNN. "There's no rational explanation." (Watch teen explain how "game" became tragedy )
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What a Lovely New Trend
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 02:36:26 PM »
That makes me sick.  What can these boys possibly be thinking while they beat another person to death?  They had just shared beers with the man.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 02:40:38 PM »
That makes me sick.  What can these boys possibly be thinking while they beat another person to death?  They had just shared beers with the man.

A-fucking-men. Because he's homeless, that makes it okay?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

duncvis

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 02:50:33 PM »
Doesn't surprise me. The only difference from here is that in the UK the little cunts would have been filming it on their phones for later. :puke:

The_P

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 02:51:54 PM »
How pathetic. In the UK, we have young people who beat various people up, then take pictures of their victims from their mobile phone cameras. This anomaly is referred to as "happy slapping". Ironic, eh?

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 03:01:10 PM »
Cross-thread reference:  + to dunc for appropriate use of the "c word, " for although I don't think there's a profantity in existence that would adequately describe those teens, that's about as close as I would be able to get.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 03:05:34 PM »
How pathetic. In the UK, we have young people who beat various people up, then take pictures of their victims from their mobile phone cameras. This anomaly is referred to as "happy slapping". Ironic, eh?

We have that here too. I guess I should be happy that dumbasses are going out of their way to film their own crimes.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 09:04:15 PM »
Indeed Tom aka Friar Tuck, Its twisted but atleast there is some potential good coming out of these recorded happy slapping attacks, these cretins are making evidence of their own crimes. There have been quite a few rapes and indecent assaults recently (2 very good cases in Glasgow which i followed in particular) where one of the perpetrators had got the footage on their camera, and thankfully that evidence was found and went along way in helping that case and getting the little pricks reprimanded.

Lets hope if people continue to commit these types of crimes that they stay stupid enough to compile evidence of it, that could be found later on to use to get them punished.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 09:16:42 PM »
Friar Tuck is not Tom, Hypnotica Gaze.

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 09:21:38 PM »
I thought Friar_Tuck was originally Badger_Tom. Hmmmm, didnt he use that username at one point or a similar name somewhere.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:23:15 PM by Hypnotica_Gaze »

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 09:25:21 PM »
HG is the orginal woman of Intensity2 for sure in the end. ;D
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 09:28:28 PM »
That is for RobertN only. ;D
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 09:30:51 PM »
I thought Friar_Tuck was originally Badger_Tom. Hmmmm, didnt he use that username at one point or a similar name somewhere.

I am trying to remember the name Tom used before, but I can't.  Friar Tuck is an American woman, anyway.

See her little gender thingy above her avatar?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 09:32:34 PM by Callaway »

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 09:42:46 PM »

I am trying to remember the name Tom used before, but I can't.  Friar Tuck is an American woman, anyway.

See her little gender thingy above her avatar?

Yeah i did Callaway, but you never know with some people. ;)
I cant recall the name Tom used before either, i will need to ask him on msn when i see him, i cant think why Friar Tuck reminded me of it.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 01:33:32 AM »
maybe he was robinhood
Misunderstood.